Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 10 vs DreamStation question
Ohmy 
AirSense 10 vs DreamStation question
In another thread, a poster indicated that there may be some but could not remember the details so; can anybody fill me on:
What, if any, are the features that the AirSense 10 has but DreamStation doesn't?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 10 vs DreamStation question
Ask for the clinician manuals for both machines and spend the weekend studying them, the exam is on Monday
I've only used Resmed machines, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Other than a few really, really minor complaints I have been pretty happy with my loaner AirSense 10 Elite. Minor complaints are the button to turn on pre-warming the humidifier clicks kind of loud and don't want to wake spouse, and the hose attachment at the back is always a bit bent and one night actually came undone. I was so groggy when I woke up I couldn't figure out why I couldn't fix my mask leak.
But I should mention there are many good things about the machine too.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2015, 10:25 AM)GPSMapNut Wrote: In another thread, a poster indicated that there may be some but could not remember the details so; can anybody fill me on:
What, if any, are the features that the AirSense 10 has but DreamStation doesn't?

Edit - OOPS - That's A10 vs. S9 machines. Sorry.

Built in humidifier. Built in cell modem. RERA detection in the AutoSet models. Auto ramp that waits until after it thinks you're asleep. Doesn't wig out if there's extra data on the SD card. Records more days of data on the SD card, instead of throwing away high resolution data after 7 days.

Different shape, display, menus, etc. different heated hose, water tank, power supplies.

The base "CPAP" model collects more data than the S9 Escape model, but still is very inferior to the data collected by the Elite models.

There might be some other details.

Nothing really that important in my opinion.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2015, 05:48 PM)archangle Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 10:25 AM)GPSMapNut Wrote: In another thread, a poster indicated that there may be some but could not remember the details so; can anybody fill me on:

Built in humidifier. Built in cell modem. RERA detection in the AutoSet models. Auto ramp that waits until after it thinks you're asleep. Doesn't wig out if there's extra data on the SD card. Records more days of data on the SD card, instead of throwing away high resolution data after 7 days.

Different shape, display, menus, etc. different heated hose, water tank, power supplies.

The base "CPAP" model collects more data than the S9 Escape model, but still is very inferior to the data collected by the Elite models.

There might be some other details.

Nothing really that important in my opinion.

Hmm, build in humidifier is not a feature to me. A detachable one, is. Naturally, that's a matter of preference just like the location of the hose attachment is. Personally, I prefer to have it on top.

I just got (thanks to this board and SuperSleeper) the manual for the DreamStation. According to it, DramStation does detect RERA.
AirSense's ramp may be a very nice feature. I wonder how DreamStation "Smart Ramp" stacks up against it.

Also, just found something very interesting in the manual. DreamStation Pro (which is CPAP) and Auto have CPAP Check mode that auto adjusts pressure after each 30 hrs of sleep. Now, that is a real feature in a CPAP!

Data collected on the card... That may be a real difference but, what it is, we will know once SleepyHead will read it. Hopefully soon.

I wonder, what types of data are visible using the mobile version of the DreamMapper.

Post Reply Post Reply
And I think the DreamStation Pro, like it's predecessor the PRS1, which is the PR equivalent roughly to the ResMed A10 Elite has an Auto trial of I believe 30 days (only). Gives one a chance to see if Auto CPAP is beneficial or at least lets you try it out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2015, 09:45 PM)cate1898 Wrote: And I think the DreamStation Pro, like it's predecessor the PRS1, which is the PR equivalent roughly to the ResMed A10 Elite has an Auto trial of I believe 30 days (only). Gives one a chance to see if Auto CPAP is beneficial or at least lets you try it out.

Ha, I missed that reading the manual.
I wonder if resetting the data in clinical setup resets that limit as well... Well, even if it does now, They will fix that with an update.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the Useful Links in my signature line at the bottom of this post, too. There is information there about which machines are not fully data capable.

OK, A10 vs. Dreamstation.

A10:

Built in humidifier. Means you can't remove the humidifier and make a smaller unit. You also can't replace just the humidifier if the humidifier breaks.

Built in cell modem. Not easily removable if you're concerned about the big brother/privacy issues.

Auto ramp that waits until after it thinks you're asleep.

Calculates a "unintentional leak" and throws away the "intentional leak" data. Makes it impossible to detect a blocked mask vent.

Requires an expensive DC-DC converter if you want to run on battery.

DreamStaton:

No new version of software available to read the SD card yet. No new version of Encore, no new version of SleepyHead. To me, this alone makes DreamStation unacceptable.

There is an online software program for A10 or DreamStation machines that gives some therapy data, but it's very limited compared to what you can get with SleepyHead or Encore.

The online program requires the optional modem, and your DME has to pay for the monitoring service. You have to have coverage from the cell phone network for it to work. I think most local DME's will include the modem at no extra cost. However, if you stop doing business with your DME, you will probably lose access to your data. Yet another reason I find it unacceptable.

Optional humidifier

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2015, 12:52 AM)archangle Wrote: >>>snip>>>>

The online program requires the optional modem, and your DME has to pay for the monitoring service. You have to have coverage from the cell phone network for it to work. I think most local DME's will include the modem at no extra cost. However, if you stop doing business with your DME, you will probably lose access to your data. Yet another reason I find it unacceptable.

Optional humidifier

Looks like the only advantage (to me) of S10 could be compatibility with SleepyHead so, let me think aloud about that;
Apparently there is a mobile (phone / tablet) version of the DreamMapper. I'd expect it to work with the DS build in Bluetooth so, there would be no need for a modem and monitoring service. Well, I could be wrong on that. Still, for some, the basic info may be all they ever need and comprehend so, simplified data output may be an ideal option. For me, it could be a stop gap while waiting for SH to be updated.
Heck, I was using a brick for 11 years so, what's couple weeks more.
After sniffing here and there, I am convinced that SleepyHead will be compatible with DreamStation within weeks if not days.
For others, nothing less will do than immediate Encore or SleepyHead compatibility and I respect that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2015, 12:52 AM)archangle Wrote: Built in humidifier. Means you can't remove the humidifier and make a smaller unit. You also can't replace just the humidifier if the humidifier breaks.

Don't quote me on this one, but I think you can remove the humidifier and purchase a cover which will make the unit a couple of inches smaller. I think I read someone on here has that.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 165 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Dreamstation II -> AirSense 11 AutoSet todivefor 10 642 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: drwoodr
  Dreamstation -> Airsense 10 C2C pixpop 5 277 02-22-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Transition from DreamStation 2 to AirSense 10 prince01 16 1,036 12-17-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: prince01
  Question about how AirSense 10 acquires information. paulag1955 5 455 10-07-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.