Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 10 vs DreamStation question
RE: AirSense 10 vs DreamStation question
GPSMapNut: you need the PRS1 CPAP "Pro" model to have data and be able to give you a 30 day Auto CPAP trial, not the straight CPAP machine.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2015, 09:59 AM)cate1898 Wrote: GPSMapNut: you need the PRS1 CPAP "Pro" model to have data and be able to give you a 30 day Auto CPAP trial, not the straight CPAP machine.

I believe the auto trial and auto check functions are also available on the 560 "Auto" machines, but it was added after the model was introduced and wasn't announced or documented. Presumably, it isn't limited to 30 days, either.

These functions are available (and documented) on the DreamStation Auto.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why would they include a 30 day trial on a machine that is already Auto CPAP?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2015, 10:39 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Why would they include a 30 day trial on a machine that is already Auto CPAP?

Auto Trial and Auto Check are considerably more complicated than just Auto CPAP.

Short version: APAP starts back from the minimum pressure every time you turn the machine on. i.e. it forgets everything it learned when you turn it off. Auto-Trial/Check makes some adjustments and remember them the next time you turn the machine off and on.

The full details are a little long for this discussion. And complicated to dredge up from memory. The thing that stands out for me is that it's sort of slow and limited in range vs. "APAP."

I presume on the Auto machines that have A-Trial/Check, there's not a limited number of times you can do the Auto-Trial function.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK thanks for the Reader's Digest version! Wish ResMed had that too!

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try to clear up some confusion by using the manual - it makes it clear.

The basic version of the DreamStation doesn't have any fancy options.

DreamStation Pro (CPAP) features "CPAP-Check", "EZ-Start" and "Auto-Trial"
DreamStation Auto (APAP) features "CPAP-Check", "EZ-Start", "Auto-Trial" and "Opti-Start"

"CPAP-Check" monitors obstructive apneas and (if needed) every 30 hours of use adjusts the set pressure up or down by 1 cm. The max change from the pre-set pressure is 3 cm.

"EZ-Start" is for users new to the therapy. If activated; the first day of use (more than 4 hrs) the machine will deliver therapy at half of the set (prescription) pressure . After each day, the pressure will be increased by 1 until it reaches the set pressure.

"Auto-Trial" allows to set the machine in Auto mode for up to 30 days. After the set period, machine reverts to straight CPAP mode.

"Opti-Start" starts therapy at 90% pressure of the previous session. (note: It is unclear to me if it is 90% of the max pressure machine reached previously or, 90% of the average or 90% that there was at the end of the previous session or something else)

In case you wonder why APAP would have features like Auto-TRial or CPAP-Check; remember that APAP can be set to CPAP mode and these modes are meant to be set by the provider, not by a the user.

HTH
Post Reply Post Reply
On the Pr 560 auto trial is used to determine 90% pressure over a number of days you set. Up to 30. It still treats apnea as in auto mode. You can set a min and max pressure range also.

Once auto trial is complete the machine switches to cpap ck mode.
Cpap ck uses the 90 % pressure determined by auto trial mode but fine tunes it every 30 hrs until it settles on the optimum single pressure.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2015, 06:13 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: On the Pr 560 auto trial is used to determine 90% pressure over a number of days you set. Up to 30. It still treats apnea as in auto mode. You can set a min and max pressure range also.

Cpap ck uses the 90 % pressure determined by auto trial mode but fine tunes it every 30 hrs until it settles on the optimum single pressure.

Haven't seen it in the PRS1 manual - I guess, it's an old manual or PR never updated it. Sounds like a good function yet not advertised by PR for S1. Wonder why!?

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2015, 08:52 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote:
(12-10-2015, 06:13 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: On the Pr 560 auto trial is used to determine 90% pressure over a number of days you set. Up to 30. It still treats apnea as in auto mode. You can set a min and max pressure range also.

Haven't seen it in the PRS1 manual - I guess, it's an old manual or PR never updated it. Sounds like a good function yet not advertised by PR for S1. Wonder why!?

"AutoIQ" was added during the 50 series PRS1 machines to the PRS1 REMstar Pro AutoIQ 450 model. That's the feature with AutoCheck/AutoTrial. There was an updated 450 model provider manual. I think it's in all the 60 series Pro 460 machines.

It was added to the "Auto" models somewhere along the line. Not sure if it was in the 550, or just the 560.

I presume the DreamStation Pro has Auto-trial for a maximum of 30 days and the DreamStation Auto has Auto-trial for an unlimited amount of time.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2015, 04:46 PM)archangle Wrote:
(12-10-2015, 08:52 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote:

"AutoIQ" was added during the 50 series PRS1 machines to the PRS1 REMstar Pro AutoIQ 450 model. That's the feature with AutoCheck/AutoTrial. There was an updated 450 model provider manual. I think it's in all the 60 series Pro 460 machines.

It was added to the "Auto" models somewhere along the line. Not sure if it was in the 550, or just the 560.

I presume the DreamStation Pro has Auto-trial for a maximum of 30 days and the DreamStation Auto has Auto-trial for an unlimited amount of time.

These model names get so confusing... was it available in S1 CPAP or an APAP or in both?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 615 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Dreamstation II -> AirSense 11 AutoSet todivefor 10 656 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: drwoodr
  Dreamstation -> Airsense 10 C2C pixpop 5 282 02-22-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Transition from DreamStation 2 to AirSense 10 prince01 16 1,038 12-17-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: prince01
  Question about how AirSense 10 acquires information. paulag1955 5 455 10-07-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.