Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 11 Hard Exhale Transition On All Settings
AirSense 11 Hard Exhale Transition On All Settings
Hi, I cannot find a comfortable inhale/exhale transition and have chest pain after using the machine in the morning and or after a nap.  Basically right as I transition to exhale I feel immediate back pressure which takes work to “push” out the air (I feel like I am only able to exhale about half volume) - this happens on every setting I can think of on the airsense 11.  I have the mode on auto set.  I’ve tried the autoset response on standard and on soft - can’t tell a difference.  I have tried pressure range from 4-15, and tried 7-10, the EPR is on full time, I’ve tried EPR levels 1, 2 and 3.  I have tried auto ramp up and without ramp up.  I have the AirFit fF30i full face mask which fits perfectly, no leaks, good airflow.  Climate control and tube temp are on auto.  I'm 6'3", 205lbs, 39 yrs/old, physically fine (other than being sleep deprived) but having some trouble.
Any ideas??
Thanks much   
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 11 Hard Exhale Transition On All Settings
Hi Brian,
First thing to do is download the OSCAR software. Be sure there is an SD card in your Cpap. It must be in your machine while you're are sleeping.

It seems you've made a ton of pressure changes that aren't working for you. In order to advise you better, we need to see is a Screenshot from the Daily Page. Follow the link below in my signature line on Organizing your chart.

Take a Screenshot using the F12 key, then post here for evaluation. Use the Attachment Feature.

The graphs we need to see: Events, Flow Limitation, Pressure, Leak Rate, and Flow Limitations.
Include the left sidebar, but remove the calendar and pie chart.

Until we can see some data, I suggest you use 7cm minimum pressure, and 15 maximum with an EPR of 3.

Also, if you had a sleep study and have a copy, post it here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alright. Thx - I'll work on getting this data.
Post Reply Post Reply
For how long have you been using your machine? A muscle soreness is typical at the beginning of the therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, here's last night's Oscar data attached.

This is the rest of the left side bar data which did not fit the screenshot https://prnt.sc/FrKJtshGPDxA  

Also, here are the sleep study lab report links:
https://prnt.sc/riXUQqqWE6aE
https://prnt.sc/AB6SYTv0RghQ
https://prnt.sc/XSSX1YT3g-lW
https://prnt.sc/RhI_TrY3b8dH
https://prnt.sc/5Fe2fykn9APe

Thanks very much.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You are having some positional issues, do the problems you are talking about occur at the times you see the clusters of obstructive events?

Do these clusters appear frequently or are they just a one time thing?

If they are occuring with any regularity you need to address them. This could be as simple as using 1 vs 2 pillows or a flatter, less firm pillow. If not you are a candidate to use a soft cervical collar to resolve the issue. Basically it occurs because you are tucking your chin to your chest. Read the wiki on cervical collars in my signature and the wiki on positional apnea in that article.
Post Reply Post Reply
The pattern of positional clusters of obstructive apnea and hypopnea were also evident in the sleep study hypnogram.  You can read more about how this pattern is identified and tested here http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BrianL welcome

The only thing I can add is that I struggled with F30i and other FFMs during 2020/2021 for exactly the same reasons.
Chest pain, palpitations, headaches, air hunger, air starvation etc. Even landed up in hospital from the chest pains etc.

All resolved after switching back to nasal masks. I prefer the P30i over the N30/N30i.

With good head/neck/pillow position and soft cervical collar my required pressures are way down.

My personal theory (and it is only a theory) is this.

With the F30i I would switch between nasal breathing and mouth breathing (indeed that was part of the attraction of the mask: I could switch to mouth breathing when I got nasal congestion). I suspect that what happened was that when I started off with nasal breathing, flow limitations or nasal congestion led to Higher Flow Limits, which pushed up the pressures, then at some stage during sleep the body bailed out of nasal breathing and switched to mouth breathing, for which the pressures were too high. I never could find a way to control this. 

Have you tried a nasal mask/cushion/pillow?

Don't know if this applies to your situation, but I thought I would just throw this out there.

Your flow limits and pressures are not too bad but on the chart you posted your leaks could be better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. 
Here's last night's data for example attached.  I was only able to use the machine for about 4 hrs, chest pain progressively got worse and I had to turn it off.  Today chest pains are pretty sore from last night, worse than the night before.  I'm only a few days into using a cpap machine.  I have a very flat pillow and last night I worked on keeping my chin up at all times.  
I breath through my mouth all night - a nasal pillow wouldn't work for me would it?

(04-14-2022, 02:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The pattern of positional clusters of obstructive apnea and hypopnea were also evident in the sleep study hypnogram.  You can read more about how this pattern is identified and tested here 

Thank you, that is good info.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2022, 09:22 AM)Gideon Wrote: You are having some positional issues, do the problems you are talking about occur at the times you see the clusters of obstructive events?

Do these clusters appear frequently or are they just a one time thing?

If they are occuring with any regularity you need to address them.  This could be as simple as using 1 vs 2 pillows or a flatter, less firm pillow.  If not you are a candidate to use a soft cervical collar to resolve the issue.  Basically it occurs because you are tucking your chin to your chest.  Read the wiki on cervical collars in my signature and the  wiki on positional apnea in that article.

Hi, I've only been using the machine for a few days and last night's data is attached.  My difficulty breathing and exhaling feel like they happen the whole time I'm hooked up - along w/ chest pains which got so bad after 4 hrs of use last night I had to quit.   Today the chest pains are pretty bad at the esophagus down to mid/lower chest.  I do use a very flat pillow and last night made a point to keep my chin up.  Anyway, let me know what you think.  Thanks.  The collar wiki info and positional apnea read was good.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 5,129 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,334 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,338 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Settings help for AirSense sleepyalpha 19 1,211 12-24-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 887 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Transition from DreamStation 2 to AirSense 10 prince01 16 1,083 12-17-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: prince01
  CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings ttodd 4 722 11-27-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.