Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow increase before the event ?
Flow increase before the event ?
Hi,
I'm new to OSCAR and chart reading.

My AHI was diagnosed by my Pneumologist at 11. She said it consists mostly of flow restrictions.

I've been using a ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet with a Simplus F&P (full face) mask for a week now.
Right now we are trying a low pressure (4 cmH20) because I have aerophagia when using the machine. At 4cm I can tolerate 8 hours of CPAP but not at 9 cm.

According to OSCAR and the ResMed data, last night my AHI was 3.77. 
However when I add in Custom Event Flagging based on Flow Restrictions > 50%, I can see that I have as many UFs as CA. 
Since UFs are not included in the AHI, the AHI only gives a partial view of the situation.
When I zoom in to see what is going on around the CA and UF events, most of the time I find that 20 seconds prior to the start of the Event there was an increase in the Flow Rate, the Tidal Volume and the Minute Vent.
I would have expected the Flow Rate to increase AFTER the event, not BEFORE, but as I said I'm new to this ;-) 
What do you make of this ? 

Thanks...

V.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow increase before the event ?
4 is low for most adults. I’m surprised you can sleep with the pressure so low. You shouldn’t be surprised to have flow limits at 4.

A flow increase before an event can signify an arousal. You wake up, roll around while holding your breath, and then settle back in to sleep. That’s what I see in my data at times. You can also see this during REM transition which is what might be going on in one of your screen captures where pattern is undulating and wavy before the event.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow increase before the event ?
That flow increase is an arousal, likely with you tossing to reposition yourself and holding your breath as you do as indicated by the logged, but likely false, central apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 2 36 10 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 59 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 229 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.