Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense10 plastic smell
AirSense10 plastic smell
AirSense 10 ResMed. Just got it like a week and a half ago smells like nauseous new plastic smell it smells like if you deflate an inner tube and is constantly smell blowing in your face. The smell gives my brain a migraine after wearing it feels like my brain is on fire. Any suggestions. Already soaked it for 24 hours twice, hose tube humidifier.

Appreciate it,

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense10 plastic smell
Individuals have different tolerance for the new plastic smells from equipment, and it usually disappears pretty quickly. The tube seems to be the biggest source of "new" plastic smell, and I have never noticed it after a few nights. Give it a good wash and let some air flow through it, it should clear. Your pressure is very low and it could be you would benefit from a bit more pressure or flow. Download OSCAR software if you want an easier software to use and understand your therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Running Cpap without humidifier
I made a previous post about how a new Cpap machine reaks like inner-tube fresh plastic, and can cause migraines. I ghost run the machine to air it out, but the humidifier runs out very quickly. Can I continue to run the machine anyways without the water in the humidifier.

Thank you,

Dan
Post Reply Post Reply
First, since this deals with the same problem, I have merged your two threads. We prefer to keep as much of a member's posts together for historical reference about a topic.

You can turn off the humidifier if you wish. Some use the humidifier as a passive unit by having water in it but turn off the heat. If you have it turned off, then there isn't any danger of damage to the unit if the tank is dry.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The one thing the Dreamstation was great at is smell. Out of the box it didnt smell at al. The Resmed had a very harsh smell.

It goes away though, just keep it at or leave it on blowing for a few hours
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick question, how do you run the machine without wearing the mask?  If you run it on mask fit it will only run for a few minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
never had mine auto shut off..just push on? ive run my for hours drying it out from rainout before
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2021, 12:19 PM)yankees123 Wrote: Quick question, how do you run the machine without wearing the mask?  If you run it on mask fit it will only run for a few minutes.

Turn off the SmartStart feature.

This is what will start the machine when it detects breathing, and stops the machine when it detects no back-pressure (caused by nobody on the other end)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks dog slobber , now I get it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2021, 01:40 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: Turn off the SmartStart feature.

This is what will start the machine when it detects breathing, and stops the machine when it detects no back-pressure (caused by nobody on the other end)

Yup, I ran my S9 for 10 years every morning for 10 minutes on Mask Test after emptying the water. No harm to the machine and it gets hose and chamber nice and dry so less likely to grow fungus and bacteria.

I just got an AS 11 today and have the pretty strong "new car" chemical smell, some of it from the plastics and some from the hospital grade disinfectant that I used on the hose and mask (there was still a bit of lingering smell despite also doing a rinse and soak in scent free soap and a brushing and another rinse plus drying in a CPAP dryer). I ran it on mask test for an hour and that cut the smell by about 50%...

Not gonna hurt a machine designed to run all night for at least 5 years...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,859 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,235 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort hypnos 3 410 11-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Fixing AirSense10 Air Noise BNB1023 6 2,266 11-01-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,412 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.