Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense11 - How to increase humidity
AirSense11 - How to increase humidity
Using an F20 full mask and notice that my mouth becomes VERY dry throughout the night, and, I have a healthy surplus of water left over in chamber every morning (I fill it up to about 3/4 full and there's often half left over each morning). I see I can manually increase the humidity but what might be a good level to try? Also don;t like wasting all that distilled water every day.

Suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense11 - How to increase humidity
A suggestion would be to add 1 to whatever it is set to right now.  Also, if you can go up in an even smaller increment, like 0.2 you can try that increase also.  The thing to watch out for as you increase humidity is "rainout".  This is when water starts to condense in the hose - and might end up on your face and wake you up.  Many people here have hose hangers (or they improvise with something that keep the middle of the high - at a higher level than your head) - so the water drains back down into the humidifier.  Also, you can keep the machine close to the floor - then the hose would naturally arc upwards towards your face; and the water would drain back down into the humidifier.  About the only way to get this wrong is to have both the machine and the hose at your face level or higher than that (then the water would drain onto your face via the mask).  

If your mouth is very dry, that probably means you breathe a lot through your mouth.  Do you breathe ok through your nose?
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually breathing through my nose is relatively easy. One nostril always seems 25-40% plugged up at bedtime but it doesn't impede inhaling in any way. I also have the hose going from nightstand, up about 2 feet then back down to my mask as you describe so rainout seems unlikely.

Will the machine show my current setting to make that adjustment?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would bet you are breathing through your mouth when you are asleep. We can easily see if you have a mouth leak looking at OSCAR data on the leak graph. Why not post it and we can check.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this what you meant?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using a chin strap to keep my mouth closed for the very reason of a dry mouth with a full face mask. Also a mouth rinse of Biotene just before heading to bed helps for a while. Not good to have a dry mouth as it increases the chance of tooth decay and fungal infections.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have Biotene but stopped due to the presence of sorbitol, glycerin, and xylitol, all designed to make it palatable, but then that stuff sits on your teeth all night (and I also wear Invisalign retainers so it would be pressed against my enamel all night). I thought a full mask negated the need for a chin strap because your mouth is contained in the mask??

I'd not want to have to wear a mask AND a chin strap. Too much gear on my head. AHI at 2.5 is acceptable.

But I WOULD like a bit more moisture coming through the tube so my mouth doesn't get so parched.
Post Reply Post Reply
airsense11_user-guide_amer_mul.pdf (resmed.com)

Here is the user guide for the Airsense 11.  Setting the humidity level starts around page 11 or so.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airsense11 Question RobertLadd26 0 6 11 minutes ago
Last Post: RobertLadd26
Question Sudden increase in central apneas eyeloveeyez 1 62 04-25-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 152 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 379 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Dreamstation 2 humidity controls Lesgreen 3 154 04-11-2024, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Lesgreen
  [CPAP] new AirCurve 10 does not give enough humidity FHTC 8 165 04-09-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 24 1,640 03-29-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.