Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirStart 10 CPAP as a backup machine
Question 
AirStart 10 CPAP as a backup machine
I am between the rock and the hard place. Because of year change, medical groups and services are being discontinued. I have finally found out that no matter what - I must do a new study as my Sleep center won't work with my insurance! Why my PCP(former) sent me there is beyond understanding but he was a dumb ass. A nice guy but a dumb ass nevertheless.
I never have thought that stupid things like this could happen then I realized Obamacare happened. Anyway, I am doing a new study soon but what about buying a backup machine? Most folks here have one. The backup would serve me to bridge over until my study and machine is delivered.
RE: AirStart 10 CPAP as a backup machine
I'm all for having a backup machine. I still don't understand why you don't have a copy of your last sleep study and prescription?

That's all you need unless there's a valid reason for another study like changing to a Bipap or ASV machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Where do you the idea? I have given my study and initial home test to my new PCP. The old PCP is part of a research hospital yet they sent me to a 3rd party sleep doctor I have never even met. I suspect that the doc was getting some juice from this outfit because it is unconscionable to have sent me there - OK perhaps he did not know? UC Davis Med center has a serious sleep lab why was not I sent there I have no clue. My new doctor is Dignity health and they have a great sleep center few minutes away. I am having and appointment on Friday and I will give my Sleepy head data as well as they can transfer all data from my ex sleep center. This is insurance cluster-f*** that the US healthcare is well known for. The bottom line as of Jan 2018 that even if I had stayed at my old PCP, the new study would have been required. UC Davis does no longer accepts my insurance yet they make it available to employees.
I guess there is something involved in this I'm not understanding. Anyway I'm guessing you know a APAP will treat you and don't have to worry about Centrals based on your prior treatment. So like I said before I think buying a backup would be a wise move.

I myself got tired real quick of dealing with DME's and Sleep Centers and went and bought my own. So I can understand your frustration.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

(12-12-2017, 07:30 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I guess there is something involved in this I'm not understanding. Anyway I'm guessing you know a APAP will treat you and don't have to worry about Centrals based on your prior treatment. So like I said before I think buying a backup would be a wise move.

I myself got tired real quick of dealing with DME's and Sleep Centers and went and bought my own. So I can understand your frustration.

Well, I had plenty of events based on Central but the doctor said many people react to the CPAP machine first time. So, I do not mind a second opinion. Central Apnea usually signified that CPAP does not work, (AHI stays high) my data showed marked improvement from 55 AHI to around under 5 in 60 days. Thank you for your feedback, I cannot spend a 1000 USD when I have insurance and a teenage daughter who takes all my money... Too-funny
I did my initial sleep study at the UC Davis Sleep center in Sacramento. I was not very tolerant of the clinical environment and instead of doing a titration study, they recommended auto CPAP and self-titration. That was 2008. I retained my sleep study summary and prescription, and it has worked ever since then.

I have always had insurance, but for a while didn't think the hassle or co-pay was worth it. My first machine was a M-Series Auto form Apria. In 2013 to get an updated machine since the old machine had 19,000 hours. I had relocated and had different insurance so I bought a System One 560 Auto on Craigslist for about $250. The following month I bought a BiPAP 760 for $350. Then in February 2014, I got the Aircurve 10 Vauto through insurance at no cost to me. I sold the M-series and 560 for $25 and $250 respectively.

Insurance seems to be a huge problem, and you have to really persist to find out if they really need a new test, or if that is the invention of your DME or doctor. Usually, any evidence of a diagnosis in a sleep center will get you out of doing another sleep test. If it's helpful to you, do it. Otherwise, most sleep and titration tests are a waste of time. Sleep apnea does not cure itself, and most of us can self-titrate better than a clinic can do.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
First, Obamacare has nothing to do with it. This is a commercial insurance company that apparently wants to pay out another $1500 for an unnecessary study. Stupidity reigns. I know a guy who has to have a doctor verify that he has no leg and thus qualifies for repairs on his $30,000 fake leg (Aetna - and Aetna PAID for the fake leg in the first place!). So a $200 appointment just to reconfirm, yes, he still has no leg.

Backup - I couldn't wait to get a machine any longer and bought a used S9 Auto on Craigslist for about $300. That was my backup for the first 2 years. I have since bought a zero usage Airsense For Her via OfferUp (astounding $150). I sold the S9 for the same that I bought it for to a guy whose 9 year old machine quit. It's pretty easy to find low usage machines because many of these bariatric centers require patients to get machines and they quit using them the day they get home from the hospital and resell them.

There are some threads with tips, but I highly recommend that you use Paypal if having something shipped. Protects both you and the seller. I bought both of my used machines from out of state and Paypal worked perfect for that. I picked an Auto primarily because I think it's the best therapy out there AND because it worked with Sleepyhead.
(12-13-2017, 04:26 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: First, Obamacare has nothing to do with it. This is a commercial insurance company that apparently wants to pay out another $1500 for an unnecessary study. Stupidity reigns.  I know a guy who has to have a doctor verify that he has no leg and thus qualifies for repairs on his $30,000 fake leg (Aetna - and Aetna PAID for the fake leg in the first place!).  So a $200 appointment just to reconfirm, yes, he still has no leg.

Backup - I couldn't wait to get a machine any longer and bought a used S9 Auto on Craigslist for about $300.  That was my backup for the first 2 years.  I have since bought a zero usage Airsense For Her via OfferUp (astounding $150).  I sold the S9 for the same that I bought it for to a guy whose 9 year old machine quit.  It's pretty easy to find low usage machines because many of these bariatric centers require patients to get machines and they quit using them the day they get home from the hospital and resell them.  

There are some threads with tips, but I highly recommend that you use Paypal if having something shipped.  Protects both you and the seller. I bought both of my used machines from out of state and Paypal worked perfect for that.  I picked an Auto primarily because I think it's the best therapy out there AND because it worked with Sleepyhead.

Thanks for the feedback. I know THIS has nothing top do with Obamacare, BUT I know a guy (Chinese) who likes bicycling in Oakland, MANY people warned him not to)  had Obamacare and someone hit him apparently with no insurance, he was in hospital for 4 month and his bill was ONLY $200,000. It took his house away in Oakland. US healthcare is not my favorite even so I have insurance. We spend the most in the industrial world and have the most convoluted, confusing cluster F (Obama just made it worse)
(12-12-2017, 07:42 PM)TimtheEnchanter Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 07:30 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I guess there is something involved in this I'm not understanding. Anyway I'm guessing you know a APAP will treat you and don't have to worry about Centrals based on your prior treatment. So like I said before I think buying a backup would be a wise move.

Well, I had plenty of events based on Central but the doctor said many people react to the CPAP machine first time. So, I do not mind a second opinion. Central Apnea usually signified that CPAP does not work, (AHI stays high) my data showed marked improvement from 55 AHI to around under 5 in 60 days. Thank you for your feedback, I cannot spend a 1000 USD when I have insurance and a teenage daughter who takes all my money... Too-funny

Why did my doctor not send me to the UC Davis facility? (unless he was getting kickbacks?)  I am glad I left him.
This is my opinion . This is an apnea forum not a political fourm. Again thisvis mynopinion

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,337 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 200 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,745 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 202 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.