Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers
Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers
I am a long-time user of Philips devices, currently Dream Station 2. I recently learned of automatic mode and decided to try it. My AHI numbers were noticeably higher on automatic mode (only one night's experience).

Anything I can try or should I just go back to setting pressure manually?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers
When making changes to your treatment, this in itself can cause a transient response where sensors called chemoreceptors detect a difference from your previous treatment settings and this can result in things like central apneas occuring. Usually the brain needs a few days or longer to normalise to the new treatment. Give it a week and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very helpful. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
The board would love to help with this. It's best to have data to direct the best answers. We can get overnight data from the CPAP with a free program called OSCAR. You'll need a computer to run OSCAR, and an SD card to store the sleep data. Then you can post the OSCAR chart here so we can help with knowledge.

My guess is that it has to do with the nature of the Philips Respironics machines. They're slower to ramp up pressure to events, and when you were in single pressure, you're likely to have it where it was treating some events. Your auto mode pressure settings are likely at or near default, somewhere around 4-20. The auto pressure needs dialed in closer to need than default, more important on these Respironics than a ResMed.

Warning this is a guess so far.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Understood, and the guess is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 413 9 hours ago
Last Post: Jpm6179
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 82 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 199 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  Do I need to tweak my numbers dharris01 6 208 04-15-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: dharris01
  Switching from Dreamstation to Airsense 11 rorielly 8 1,088 04-01-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Swaggy
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 208 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  [Pressure] My sleep dr raised pressure to 16 Vickil 4 210 03-19-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.