Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aircurve 10 37043
RE: Aircurve 10 37043
I know that what I put here may be obvious to some of you all but it's completely new to me. I'm trying to stay away from the obvious statements and findings so excuse any repeats as I lay this out. I'm exposing my experience and opinions. I'm going to try and lay out only the stuff I don't recall reading on the forum and pertinent personal experience.

Settings. I fiddled and adjusted with every setting that I could reasonably believe to be realistic to be of therapeutic value. I didn't raise pressures to see how high they would go and vice versa. I found that I could adjust values in clinician mode while the machine was running. Very cool. All adjustments were effective once a setting was input and ok’d.
I could not get a ps min max range to be less than 5 cmh2o. If I set ps min 3, no value less than ps max 8 could be selected. Further, if ps min is adjusted to within the minimum 5 cmh20 difference, the machine will automatically adjust to 5 cmh20 above the ps min setting. Ps max cannot be adjusted down to within the 5 cmh2o difference. I noticed this in ASV auto mode and ASV mode.
CPAP mode is straight CPAP mode. I didn't even try it.
I started the night ASV auto EPAP min 8, max 25. Ps min 3 max 8. Nothing new other than IPAP was less aggressive. I went through a few ranges of settings and settled at EPAP min 10 max 13, ps min 3 max 8. I settled on these numbers because I used them on the BiPAP and liked the way it felt.
I tried hard to clear my mind from conscious breathing using many techniques. ASV auto is very difficult to get acclimated to. I was trying out some rhythmic breathing and I learned why it's called adaptive servo ventilation. This machine is writing data tables. The tables include inhale/exhale time, volumes, pressures…. All the while it's using the data to set values for the next breathing cycle. The best I can tell it's working 1 cycle ahead. Therefore, a new user will experience default values until the tables have been written, personalized. This is really important because acclimation is not going to happen first night. Not no way not no how.
It was a long night. The bad now. Never before have I experienced aerophagia. On ASV auto, the machine forced air into my esophagus/stomach in the peak to peak time of when I began to exhale and when the machine finished the IPAP cycle. If you shorten inhale the machine lags it's inhale/exhale transition. Best I can tell it's by about a tenth of a second difference. I did a quick figure and it turns out to be a SIGNIFICANT amount of air in the stomach, and the occurance is DISTURBING and VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. I switched to ASV mode and the aerophagia was reduced however not eliminated.
I quit therapy as I dont feel like I rested all night. I managed a few untreated hours of sleep, and it was the best I had all night.
In summary, the machine is a wonderful marvel of technology for sleep apnea. Im very certain that it is necessary for many. It's been well worth the experience having lost a few nights of quality sleep. I wouldn't do it again. There's a lot more that I learned from this but I'm WORE OUT. It's been fun, and it's been real, but not real fun. One of the cheaper lessons I've learned too. Lucky fella.

Jesse
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2018, 09:02 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think JesseLee has talked me out of any prior interest or curiosity I may have harbored in trying ASV.  Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

I will never again assert that it might be possible to set up an ASV to resemble auto CPAP or BPAP. I stand officially corrected.

I tried to get it to run like a BiPAP. No dice.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Also want to say my hat's off for those that worked ASV therapy and became acclimated. It is tough.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
I may have to bookmark this in the stack of stuff that eventually gets wikified. We don't get to see this kind of experimentation very often.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm certainly glad I got to do this. It was nothing like I imagined. I don't recommend doing this experiment to anyone struggling and anyone that doesn't have a firm grasp on therapy. I'm looking forward to my BiPAP Pro tonight or 560 auto. I am gonna sleep like a champ!
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Kudos on the experiment. Surprisingly, I adapted to my ASV easier than the PR DreamStation BiPAP that led up to the ASV. I could not adapt to the older REMStar CPAP in 2015 either.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2018, 03:26 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Kudos on the experiment. Surprisingly, I adapted to my ASV easier than the PR DreamStation BiPAP that led up to the ASV. I could not adapt to the older REMStar CPAP in 2015 either.

Coffee

And that makes sense to me now Dave. All of your CA we're going untreated using those machines. Your therapy was inappropriate then and required a new approach. Which I'm glad the tech is available to handle your needs. And likewise ASV therapy is inappropriate for me and really I would venture to say it's flat out wrong. It would be a waste to try to get acclimated (if possible) to ASV when CPAP is quick and effective.

I imagine a scenario where ASV is absolutely the only machine available and trying to get used to it, but I find that notion pretty rediculous.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed. Twas an interesting and educational thread. Good afternoon to all. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,492 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,347 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.