Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aircurve 10 VAuto, wondering about AHI
Aircurve 10 VAuto, wondering about AHI
Just started cpap treatment a week ago. Took the sleep tests and learned I should have listened to my wife a few years back (sigh). Only moderate apnea but wife says I could wake the neighborhood with my snoring. Good news...snoring stopped as soon as I started using the machine. I swore to my doctor that I did not ever breathe through my mouth even though the sleep test showed some mouth breathing. So I started with nasal pillows. The second night, woke myself up a couple of times with air rushing out my mouth and my wife said it was like a mini hurricane. So, after two nights of being proven wrong a second time, I began using a chin strap.

My question is.......AHI for the second night was 2.4. Third night 8.0. Then I started using the chin strap. The next two nights had an AHI of 1.0 and I thought, great, I'm on my way to better sleep. Well, that was followed with nights of 17.8, 23.4 and 7.7. Guess I didn't expect such a fluctuation. Is that normal? Could it be because I'm new to using the device and haven't settled into a pattern?

Thanks.....a 72 year old cpap neophyte (yes, my wife suffered long and she'll make sure I don't forget that Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to treatment, wondering about AHI
AHI will vary, but not like what you describe.  Can you confirm what machine you are using?  Is it the Airsense 10 CPAP, or Auto CPAP, or Aircurve as in your profile???

Also, what are your pressure settings?  If you need to order a Clinicians Manual, order here: but please type in exactly your machine name.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

One more thing, download the free #SleepyHead software, so that you will be able to see exactly what is going on.

BTW, I like your screenname! Not many men would admit to that. like
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for reply. 

Front of machine says Aircurve 10 VAuto. From the clinicians menu I saw epap of 7 and ipap of 11, so I assume that's the range. Because of the AHI fluctuation I wondered if the pressure isn't high enough. I also turned Ramp off as I didn't want to wait 20 minutes for the ramp up after going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Thought that's when the incidents might have occurred.
Post Reply Post Reply
you have an auto bipap machine. it's a bit more complicated than the normal cpap, but there are people here who cam walk you through it.
the main thing at this stage is to make sure it has a sd card in it and then download the sleepyhead
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for updating your profile.  Since you have a bipap, there should also be a setting for pressure support.  

There are many folk here familiar with your machine and be able to advise.

With the wide range of AHI readings you are experiencing, your pressure probably isn't set correctly.

Go ahead and download the #SleepyHead software, and study the tutorials in my signature line for how to post a screenshot.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wifewasright,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You have a great attitude and that will help you along the way.
Hang in there and someone will be along to help you with your machine.
Good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aircurve 10 VAuto, wondering about AHI
Thanks trish6hundred. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how or if the cpap changes my life.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2017, 08:38 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Thank you for updating your profile.  Since you have a bipap, there should also be a setting for pressure support.  

There are many folk here familiar with your machine and be able to advise.

With the wide range of AHI readings you are experiencing, your pressure probably isn't set correctly.

Go ahead and download the [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] software, and study the tutorials in my signature line for how to post a screenshot.

probably

but also it could be the wrong machine or needs other settings changed.

people are not constant.  the machines must adjust to the patient constantly to be effective.

i suspect that using the ramp allows problems to appear when he gets right back to sleep after getting up 
and the pressures are not yet high enough

that is why we need constantly adjusting machines that work right when we need them too

ONE SIZE FITS NOBODY
Post Reply Post Reply
wifewasright,

If your machine says EPAP-7, IPAP-11 and does not say min. EPAP-7, max IPAP-11, Then you are using an Aircurve 10 VAuto in S mode. That is the straight bilevel mode. You will not see a pressure support setting until you switch to Vauto mode.  I have a recommendation in mind but I would need to be certain first that your clear airway apneas (CA) are minimal. A screenshot of Sleepyhead graphs should give us an idea about the CAs.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

P.S. Your avatar is confusing me. Big Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
PaytonA, Yes, your avatar is familiar, perhaps we are long lost twins?

Got things going on right now so may take a few days to download software and print out a report, but I'll get to it.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,511 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 465 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,241 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.