Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Advice for mask leak and clear airway apnea
Advice for mask leak and clear airway apnea

Hello, last night I seemed to have an issue with my mask leaking, is there anything recommended to do based on my pressure settings? Also not sure if the clear airway episodes are easily treatable. TIA!

Sorry for the discrepancy in sleeping times, I'm referring to the second half of the graph. The first part is just from a nap I took yesterday
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice for mask leak and clear airway apnea
For now, set EPR=1. Note that this may increase obstructive events.
Can you post a copy of your sleep studies so we can see what existed pre-CPAP

Also a 10-minute view of your centrals so we can see (maybe) what kind of centrals they are.
Post Reply Post Reply

Sure can, thanks! Sorry, the graphs on the last image are slightly cut off, this is what they provided me with unfortunately

And here is a 10-minute interval for the central apneas

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks, nothing to be concerned about, post your EPR=1 when you can
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, here is my EPR=1 data from last night. AHI looks good but seems like I had a lot of leakage. Anything you'd suggest? Thanks so much for your help!

Post Reply Post Reply
1. Please minimize OSCAR calendar, it's taking up screen space where therapy data can go. Look at the date line beginning, the black triangle/arrow, click it to minimize.

2A. There are leaks to be addressed as you had correctly noticed. Looking at your leak trace, there's 2 types of leaks you can see here. Find the spikey pattern, that's mask leaking. This means either the mask isn't the correct size, isn't adjusted correct, seal is worn, had slipped out of place, something similar. Take care in adjusting straps. Never tighten too much. If it is uncomfortable or painful, address leaks by changing size or model. Too tight ain't right. Too tight will likely distort the cushion, making leaks worse.

2B. The other leak pattern, flatter sections possibly with rounded ends, this is mouth leaks. You can look at the wiki for more detail, but you can practice the tongue suck sealing method which is the normal state of the tongue while awake. You can control mouth breathing this way. Is it easy to learn? Yes for some, no for others. There's chin straps to hold the jaw closed, and tape to seal off the mouth as well. Last resort is a full face mask that covers nose and mouth.

3. The Centrals lowered when EPR dropped, so that's a good sign. The bad news is this was a 1 night trend. See what happens another night.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 9 1,527 2 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 90 10 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,034 Yesterday, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 323 Yesterday, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 364 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 195 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,279 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.