Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aircurve10 ASV- new machine causing reduced REM and aerophagia
RE: Aircurve10 ASV- new machine causing reduced REM and aerophagia
Have your sleep study results been discussed here? Can you post the redacted version in a post? These detailed test results should be in your possession. If not, get them.

It could be that the ResMed ASV isn't to your liking because you don't need that level of a machine after all. I don't think the ResMed version of the ASV does at all well as anything other than it's designed ASV duty. The Philips likely can act like lower level machines for those that do not need Central Apnea treatment far easier than the ResMed ASV.

Just a supposition for now.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sister was also a victim of the lack of timing control on the Resmed. The backup rate, rise time and inspiration time controls were critical for successfully treating her central apnea from 72 untreated to between 0 and 2 on the Philips.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2021, 10:15 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Have your sleep study results been discussed here? Can you post the redacted version in a post? These detailed test results should be in your possession. If not, get them.

It could be that the ResMed ASV isn't to your liking because you don't need that level of a machine after all. I don't think the ResMed version of the ASV does at all well as anything other than it's designed ASV duty. The Philips likely can act like lower level machines for those that do not need Central Apnea treatment far easier than the ResMed ASV.

Just a supposition for now.

Very interesting. I have always struggled with the thought of truly having central apnea. The initial reason I did a sleep study to begin with was an onset of insomnia that started a few years prior; however, the sleep study results showed severe apnea with 26+ events per hour. I was put on a regular cpap but could not tolerate. It was actually inducing central episodes and that's why they ended up putting me on an ASV.  I have read central episodes is an actual side effect of using regular CPAPS so I wonder if like you said I don't actually need an ASV per se but need the timing/flex relief that a regular CPAP doesn't offer. I will try to get my sleep study results and post here but I think you are on to something.  All I know is when I use the resmed Aircurve ASV my AHI goes is between 1.5-2 per hour. When I go back to my Phillips ASV my AHI is consistently 0.2-0.5 per hour. Really interesting
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2021, 12:14 AM)LindanHotAir Wrote: My sister was also a victim of the lack of timing control on the Resmed. The backup rate, rise time and inspiration time controls were critical for successfully treating her central apnea from 72 untreated to between 0 and 2 on the Philips.

Given the fact that virtually all Philips machines are recalled right now, do you have any comment on what happens if my older Philips ASV breaks down? I know its the only machine I can tolerate due to timing control, flex support, etc, but its 7 years old and now I am afraid that if I had to replace it I am stuck using something like a Resmed.  The exact machine I have is the Philips ASV Advanced 30 System One 60 Series but it is now discontinued. Are you aware of a newer replacement that provides the same functionality such as the timing control, flex support, etc? I just want to make sure I can have a match replacement; otherwise, I am going to be hunting for my older machine and try to buy multiple machines to last me a lifetime.  Thanks for any advice
Post Reply Post Reply
Marineman2, I believe the recall also affects the System One 50 and 60 series BiPAP ventilator machines and A-Series BiPAP A30 ventilators. https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/e...src-update Your machine is shown as not marketed in the U.S. I think just keep using the machine and when Philips catches up with the CPAP recall replacements, they will start releasing more advanced BiPAPs
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just following up, if your sleep doctor had a sound reason to place you on ASV/SV AUTO, then that's fine. I'm not disputing that. Believe it or not, but these doctors get things wrong, some refusing ASV when it's proven needed, and others being placed on ASV that it isn't necessary.

Is there any recent OSCAR data to track how the therapy is going? We're here to help and I've had 2 years of therapy on the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. The reason I'm not on it now is added respiratory disease that moves me beyond ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2021, 10:08 AM)marineman2 Wrote: Very interesting. I have always struggled with the thought of truly having central apnea. ... I was put on a regular cpap but could not tolerate. It was actually inducing central episodes and that's why they ended up putting me on an ASV.  I have read central episodes is an actual side effect of using regular CPAPS so I wonder if like you said I don't actually need an ASV per se but need the timing/flex relief that a regular CPAP doesn't offer.

"Complex apnea" is the term for CPAP-induced central apneas. Some people find EERS effective instead of ASV, especially if they are still suffering from non-restorative sleep or find the ASV's pressure changes are disrupting their sleep. It can be difficult to find a doctor who is familiar with EERS, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2021, 11:25 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Just following up, if you sleep doctor had a sound reason to place you on ASV/SV AUTO, then that's fine. I'm not disputing that. Believe it or not, but these doctors get things wrong, some refusing ASV when it's proven needed, and others being placed on ASV that it isn't necessary.

Is there any recent OSCAR data to track how the therapy is going? We're here to help and I've had 2 years of therapy on the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. The reason I'm not on it now is added respiratory disease that moves me beyond ASV.

Here is my latest readings. Thank you very much for your help.

(12-09-2021, 12:13 PM)marineman2 Wrote: Here is my latest readings from the past two nights. Thank you very much for your help. FYI- I am having some difficulty with importing from my SD card to OSCAR. I keep seeing an error message that some data is not recognized. If you are unable to come to a conclusion given the data I posted here, I will keep trying daily until I have a successful upload.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
All I can say is that I went from my DS BIPAP Auto SV (the latest generation) to Aircurve 10 ASV for four months and found that my sleep quality took a severe beating throughout and I eventually had to go back to my Dreamstation, regardless of the recall so I can get my sleep back. Its a good thing that I did, even though my DS1 reports monumentally more events (and this a much higher AHI) by=ut then again its only because my DS1 monitors much more inputs that Resmed does.
While I was on REsmed ASV I found that I could not tolerate full open pressures so I had to reduce and limit them in order to even keep the machine on my face and  even then I kept waking up throughout the night until I finally gave up.
I have also heard from others in my position in that they find a transition from Philips to Resmed to be a bit of a struggle so after a lot of research and talking to my technician, it was made clear than unless I used products that employ Ozone to clean my machine, I don't need to worry about the "killer foam" inside. I have also heard that some outfits can safely remove the foam and replace it with good foam.
Either case, if you still have access to your Phoilips machoine, then  maybe try going back on it unless you want to stick with the resmed and making it work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2021, 11:55 AM)S. Manz Wrote: All I can say is that I went from my DS BIPAP Auto SV (the latest generation) to Aircurve 10 ASV for four months and found that my sleep quality took a severe beating throughout and I eventually had to go back to my Dreamstation, regardless of the recall so I can get my sleep back. Its a good thing that I did, even though my DS1 reports monumentally more events (and this a much higher AHI) by=ut then again its only because my DS1 monitors much more inputs that Resmed does.
While I was on REsmed ASV I found that I could not tolerate full open pressures so I had to reduce and limit them in order to even keep the machine on my face and  even then I kept waking up throughout the night until I finally gave up.
I have also heard from others in my position in that they find a transition from Philips to Resmed to be a bit of a struggle so after a lot of research and talking to my technician, it was made clear than unless I used products that employ Ozone to clean my machine, I don't need to worry about the "killer foam" inside. I have also heard that some outfits can safely remove the foam and replace it with good foam.
Either case, if you still have access to your Phoilips machoine, then  maybe try going back on it unless you want to stick with the resmed and making it work for you.

Very interesting. Are you aware if removing the foam yourself affects performance of the machine? There is a very detailed how to video on Youtube and I removed it. It seems to be working just fine and plan to put it back before Philips works out whatever remedy in the coming months. Not sure if they will replace my old Philips or just replace the foam.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 598 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,646 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 262 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 523 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 408 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.