Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ramp Question
RE: Ramp Question
The second graph where you zoomed in on the ramp period shows that the low pressure initially causes you a fair amount of respiratory distress with large amplitude breaths to get enough air. As that calms down, you begin to have normal breathing, but then begin a series of periodic breathing cycles with hypopneas until the pressure quickly ramps up accompanied by a couple apneas until pressure reaches therapeutic levels.

That would be more than enough for me to shut off the ramp feature. As an alternative, you can set a higher minimum pressure for ramp. Your minimum pressure is pretty meaningless since you don't spend any time there. I agree with others that a minimum pressure of 7 looks pretty good, and see where that takes you after a few weeks. Generally I recommend the minimum pressure be set equal to the median pressure when someone is starting out. The data above indicates that is 7.5 to 8.0, so a 7.0 pressure is conservative and a decent starting place. The idea is to prevent most of the events and flow limitations with baseline minimum pressure. This makes the pressure changes lower in magnitude and less disruptive, in addition to providing better results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I fully believe that usage of the ramp feature is a matter of personal "taste". The only way you'll determine whether it's right for you is to experiment. I think when I started receiving therapy my ramp was set at 30 minutes with a starting pressure of 5. These days it's only 5-minutes long and starts at 10. oldman

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
never been a fan of any ramping. From day one, i put it on 14 and put the mask on
Post Reply Post Reply
ramp -don't care. settings - I ditto most posts above.

while it has been said on forum that the ResMed machines ignore activities during ramp, i do not know that it is true. I do know, by experience that the Phillips Respironics system one APAP does read and does NOT ignore the events that occur during ramping.

@ty - the machines are fully capable of tracking events at the lowest pressure setting.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2015, 03:22 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: while it has been said on forum that the ResMed machines ignore activities during ramp, i do not know that it is true. I do know, by experience that the Phillips Respironics system one APAP does read and does NOT ignore the events that occur during ramping.

@ty - the machines are fully capable of tracking events at the lowest pressure setting.

QAL

Ok... Maybe they can, or could, track events. But if you are using ramp and your ramp period is for instance 30 minutes, and you fall asleep in 10 minutes, and at that point your ramp pressure is at 6, on it's way to your therapeutic 14, and you experience a whammy OA --- the machine is not going to increase pressure to make nice. Not until the end of the ramp period, which could be 20 minutes after the OA. Which could also be after other OA's, or, perhaps the first OA lasted 20 minutes. The machine will not care.

...and, how do you like that for a long, drawn out sentence?

Post Reply Post Reply
Eons ago, I was having trouble falling asleep (felt smothered) and blamed it on the short ramp. I thought that if I made it longer, beyond the time it took to fall asleep, it would feel better. But that setting on my old S7 was blocked. I asked on the board I hung out at then if anyone knew how to extend it. The manual said it could go to X minutes but mine was shorter than that. They said take it to the DME. I thought it was silly to need to drive all the way out to see my supplier just for them to make a simple change. So I searched the internet and found a place that said how to get into the menu. All I did was extend the ramp time. Nothing else.

Of course, extending the time was not what I needed so I just turned it off. I reported back to the forum what I had done and that turning it off was what worked for me and did they have any idea why. (Yes, I was so very stoopid back then and didn't realize it was because I had gotten used to my pressure of 10 and felt smothered during the ramp which started at 4. Duh.) Did I get the answer? Nope. I was yelled at in capital letters by a lot of people for daring to get into what I know now is the clinician menu. My illegal action was reported and I was banned. For adjusting the ramp time.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Which is why I just hang out around here and never go to those other goofy places. Actually, it's all I can do to keep all you guys in line. Sigh, my work is never done........
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 399 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 600 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Equipment] Turn off Ramp. CactusJack 4 9,192 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: DISleepApnea
  Ramp Time JeffL 4 606 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Machine noise during ramp-up. rfkennard 0 410 01-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: rfkennard
  Reverse ramp feature? McPhearson99 9 972 01-01-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Does machine kick In if you have apnea during ramp time Scott12579 4 1,056 08-21-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.