Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airfit F20 advice
Airfit F20 advice
Hi I use he airfit F20 mask and where it seals around the bottom of my my mouth it tends to get very slippy and wet overnight. I use a humidifier set to auto climate and climate hose set to auto auto too. Any suggestions?

Before bed I clean my skin and I clean my mask daily to rid it of any oils etc it just seems during the night the contact under my lip gets wet and slippy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airfit F20 advice
David, you might want to look at mask liners. See Supplier #31 or do a search for Remzz. These are fabric liners which go between the silicon of the mask and your skin and might help overcome your problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I shudder to post a reply, but here goes. First off, I applaud all of you guys and gals who can tolerate a nasal mask. There is no way my nose could survive that. I also have to say that I have been incredibly fortunate to not have a lot of Full Face mask issues.

In June 2001 I got a Resmed Mirage FF mask, mouth breather, by September of that year I needed a new headgear. Now that headgear was special because it had an emergency rip cord to pull to split the headgear apart if you couldn't breathe... really? I don't remember the cost to replace it, but it was way more than what I wanted to spend for what seemed to be a potential death trap. I'm sure some may know where this is going. I went and got elastic straps and plastic slides and saved money AND I could pull the mask away from my face and re-position it, scratch my nose, etc. My other logic was that as I turned on my side the elastic would provide more resistance and help prevent leaks, which was probably more wishful thinking. Never-the-less I was styling.

Ten years later I got a Resmed Quattro FX FF mask. For me that headgear was the worst. The direction the straps pulled (up) made it impossible to get a decent seal. I remember on another forum there were pages and pages on how to put the mask on properly and get the straps not too loose or too tight. I thought.. It's a freaking mask, all it needs to do is be relatively comfortable and not leak. I could not for the life of me know why every other mask pulled back onto my face and this one pulled up. So I put the mask on, pushed it back with my index finger and it sealed. So I went back to my elastic straps.

Last week I got a Resmed F20 FF mask (silicone) and I am using the Resmed head gear without issues (zero leaks)... hallelujah! I really hated using those elastic straps with a head band and wrist bands over them to make it more comfortable.

From what I can determine there are the standard FF masks, typically without a forehead support, or a hybid like the F30 or DreamWear. You need to try different ones, but if you can't find one that seals up properly, the straps may not be in pulling in the proper direction for you to keep it sealed without pulling it too tight, (higher pressure really exacerbate the problems). You may want to consider some mods. I'm not saying this will solve anything... at least it is better than wrapping an ace bandage around your face.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
My post above was for a different thread and I posted it here incorrectly. I don't see and post edit function.

Please disregard.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 02:03 AM)Davidacarrick Wrote: Hi I use he airfit F20 mask and where it seals around the bottom of my my mouth it tends to get very slippy and wet overnight. I use a humidifier set to auto climate and climate hose set to auto auto too. Any suggestions?

Before bed I clean my skin and I clean my mask daily to rid it of any oils etc it just seems during the night the contact under my lip gets wet and slippy

I too deal with the same issue you have described. I tend to drool just a little at times when I sleep. I'm a mouth-breather and a side sleeper. It seems that I tend to drool during the first 4 hrs. or so of sleep. From that point on, there isn't any wetness issues. 

When the area under my lower lip becomes too wet, I simply slip an index finger under the mask and wipe it away. 

I doubt that whatever machine settings you might try, the issue will persist.
Post Reply Post Reply
This happens to me with the F20, too. For me, I don't believe it's drool; I think it's condensation build-up (ie: rainout). I can't remember if it happened to me with the old (loud) elbow, but it for sure happened to me a lot with the newer quiet elbow.

When it happens, I remove the mask, wipe the inside with a microfiber (very absorbent) towel, and then mask up & try to go back to sleep.

I've pondered if turning down the humidity would help. But my mouth is very often dry with this mask, so I've not wanted to decrease the humidity at all.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 02:03 AM)Davidacarrick Wrote: Hi I use he airfit F20 mask and where it seals around the bottom of my my mouth it tends to get very slippy and wet overnight.

I have the same problem with both the Airfit and Airtouch F20 masks and in my case it's because I drool.  I don't worry about as it doesn't affect the sealing. I just make sure I wipe the mask thoroughly the next morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have given up on the Airfit F20. I really don't get along with the stiff cushion material, compared with the soft material used on my Mirage Quattro FX. Just two nights of use is enough to make my nose sore.

Another issue I have with the F20 is dryness. I wake with a much dryer mouth and throat than I get using the Mirage. Why would that be? I'm guessing it has something to do with the F20's venting arrangement, which I love for it's quietness. Weird.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2019, 09:41 PM)StevesSp Wrote: I have given up on the Airfit F20.

The AirTouch F20 cushion can be used on the AirFit 20 frame.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2019, 11:27 PM)rdalby69 Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 09:41 PM)StevesSp Wrote: I have given up on the Airfit F20.

The AirTouch F20 cushion can be used on the AirFit 20 frame.

Yes, I know, thanks. However, I'm dubious about the longevity of the memory foam material. Apart from one silicon cushion I once 'cooked' and discoloured, I find they're pretty indesctructible. I think the one I currently have on my Mirage is 18 months old and still works fine.

Has anybody in here used a memory foam cushion for long enough to know how long they last?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,149 3 minutes ago
Last Post: car54
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 291 2 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 861 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,796 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,569 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.