Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airfit P10 - Leaking terribly last night
Airfit P10 - Leaking terribly last night
I had probably my worst night since I started CPAP in February last night. I had large leaks >36% of the time and saw the unhappy red face when I woke up this morning.

I used the Large pillows (the mediums leaked terribly) and used lanolin to help with the seal, but this doesn't seem to have helped.

I put the mask on same as I did any other night... with the straps about 3 inches apart on the crown of my head.

Is this just a fluke? Should I change something tonight or just monitor?

I might add that I wash my gear on Sunday mornings, so the head strap hasn't gotten wet since then. Should I wash it twice a week to keep it from stretching?

Any feedback that you can give would be great. I felt like I'd been hit by a bus this morning, so I'm not sure that AHI is all that accurate given the fact that my mask was leaking so badly all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airfit P10 - Leaking terribly last night
The mask headgear on the P10 should not be placed as you decribed. When placing the split strap on your head, grab the back strap and pull it down over your head to the occipital area, the top strap should be placed at the crown area.
If you keep both parts of the split strap at the crown area, I don't see how the mask can stay on, which will cause leakage.
The instruction book that came with your mask explains this with photos. Wink

Your AHI isn't bad, but hard to tell how accurate it is with high leak rates.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi i don't know where to post....i am still so new....i go to "Help" and posting overview....and still don't see how to post?
i see "starting a new thread" and it says " at the beginning of each section", but what is a section? sorrry. you can answer me privately too. but this forum is really my first.
thank you,
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 02:32 PM)OpalRose Wrote: The mask headgear on the P10 should not be placed as you decribed. When placing the split strap on your head, grab the back strap and pull it down over your head to the occipital area, the top strap should be placed at the crown area.
If you keep both parts of the split strap at the crown area, I don't see how the mask can stay on, which will cause leakage.
The instruction book that came with your mask explains this with photos. Wink

Your AHI isn't bad, but hard to tell how accurate it is with high leak rates.

I tried it like that the first two nights and it didn't seem like it was tight enough (12% and 11% leakage). So I switched it to this configuration, which resulted in .38% leakage the first night, .57% (both less than 1% large leaks) the second night and then last night... 36%.

Is there a way to get it tighter without pulling the straps closer together?
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you have the back part of the split strap in place at the occipital area, the top strap, which should rest on the crown area can be pulled back on the crown area a bit and you should notice it pulling your nasal pillows tighter.

When my headgear starts to stretch, I sometimes use an old fashioned bobby pin to secure the strap to my hair.

I realize not everyone can adapt to the P10, and need headgear that is adjustable.
Keep trying though, but if you can't get it to work for you, mabye time to try a different mask.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 02:46 PM)magicis Wrote: Hi i don't know where to post....i am still so new....i go to "Help" and posting overview....and still don't see how to post?
i see "starting a new thread" and it says " at the beginning of each section", but what is a section? sorrry. you can answer me privately too. but this forum is really my first.
thank you,

sent you a PM
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 03:04 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Once you have the back part of the split strap in place at the occipital area, the top strap, which should rest on the crown area can be pulled back on the crown area a bit and you should notice it pulling your nasal pillows tighter.

When my headgear starts to stretch, I sometimes use an old fashioned bobby pin to secure the strap to my hair.

I realize not everyone can adapt to the P10, and need headgear that is adjustable.
Keep trying though, but if you can't get it to work for you, mabye time to try a different mask.

THANK YOU! I'll try the bobby pin. My hair is fairly thick, so it should work to keep it there. I've only had the correct size pillow for a week (I had a Wisp before that made my face break out in a rash) and I really like how lightweight the mask, etc is, so I'm not giving up yet!

So you figure that last night was just my mask coming off my face because of the strap placement? Maybe I was just a lot stiller (or laying on my back) the first two nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a P10 and notice I start to get leaks when the pillows are getting “too old”. When I swap in a new pillow, it fits just fine.

I also noticed the headstrap will stretch over time and I just replaced mine recently and it made a substantial difference. I’m fortunate to have insurance coverage that replaces these parts at a frequent interval.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 03:33 PM)eplantz Wrote: I use a P10 and notice I start to get leaks when the pillows are getting “too old”. When I swap in a new pillow, it fits just fine.

I also noticed the headstrap will stretch over time and I just replaced mine recently and it made a substantial difference. I’m fortunate to have insurance coverage that replaces these parts at a frequent interval.

I have good insurance, too, but I've only had the headgear for 1.5 weeks and the pillow for about a week.

How often do you have to replace your pillows?

I can get new headgear every 6 months and pillows every 2 weeks (they send them out every 3 months, though)

I think that Opal may have just hit the nail on the head... I'm using it incorrectly in an effort to overcome the natural stretching that happens. I'll try tonight with a hair clip.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 03:31 PM)kdmorris410 Wrote:
(09-19-2015, 03:04 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Once you have the back part of the split strap in place at the occipital area, the top strap, which should rest on the crown area can be pulled back on the crown area a bit and you should notice it pulling your nasal pillows tighter.

THANK YOU! I'll try the bobby pin. My hair is fairly thick, so it should work to keep it there. I've only had the correct size pillow for a week (I had a Wisp before that made my face break out in a rash) and I really like how lightweight the mask, etc is, so I'm not giving up yet!

So you figure that last night was just my mask coming off my face because of the strap placement? Maybe I was just a lot stiller (or laying on my back) the first two nights.

The bobby pins don't bother me, I place one in the back and sometimes one at the top, and I move around a lot.
Try it, it can't hurt. If you can find a way to make it work for you, it is worth it. Eventually, you feel as if you are not even wearing a mask.

Your insurance allows two replacement pillow a month, which I take advantage of. I usually use a pillow two to three weeks before they are too soft and won't seal well. I also wash them every morning with dawn soap. Wash the headgear once a week, very hot water and let dry.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 20 1,458 03-17-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: mecutl3r
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 191 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,786 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,541 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 268 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 947 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 332 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.