Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airfit P10 Pressure settings
Question 
Airfit P10 Pressure settings
Wheni was given my machine (S9 Autoset) it was set up to work with the Quattro Air face mask with a pressure range of 4-20.

I have just purchased the Resmed P10 mask and have adjusted the setting in the set up menu from face mask to pillows. When I tested the mask fit and the machine ramped up the pressure to full it was a bit over the top and felt like it was going to blow my head up!! I had to open my mouth to let the air pressure out. Do you think I need to reduce the max pressure now that I am using pillows?
(08-15-2014, 01:14 PM)Mrsnorer Wrote: When I was given my machine (S9 Autoset) it was set up to work with the Quattro Air face mask with a pressure range of 4-20.

I have just purchased the Resmed P10 mask and have adjusted the setting in the set up menu from face mask to pillows. When I tested the mask fit and the machine ramped up the pressure to full it was a bit over the top and felt like it was going to blow my head up!! I had to open my mouth to let the air pressure out. Do you think I need to reduce the max pressure now that I am using pillows?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airfit P10 Pressure settings
Welcome to the zoo Mrs. Norer.

I'm basically allergic to the settings of 4 and 20. To me that's too big a range to work with. I understand why they do it, I just don't agree with it.

But yes, the mask fit procedure will be kind of goofy with the pillows and that setting. So I wouldn't do that. The mask fit with the P10 is very easy to accomplish. Basically you just put it on. Not too tight. It will tighten up some when the pillows inflate. But even then you don't want them too tight. You'll know right away if you have a leak because it'll hiss at you. Kind of like Mrs. Retired_Guy does at me sometimes. When that happens, you just lift up gently on the pillows and let them reseat themselves.

The other thing about the P10 is it's often desirable to use a pillow size one larger than what you think you should use. For instance if you are using the medium, go up to the large. I actually alternate between the two depending on my mood.

Now, as to your pressure settings: You need a little history to know where to set the minimum and maximum. So install the Sleepyhead software and begin to learn how to read your results. I like a minimum of not more than 6 points less than the maximum. And I like a maximum a couple of points higher than where the machine thinks I belong.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does your data show you ever even getting near to 20?

[Maybe you don't have software or other data, but in that case I would recommend you NOT make your own adjustments since you wouldn't know that you are changing.]

If not it doesn't matter - also it doesn't matter if you reduce it. A limit never reached isn't really a limit.

Likely you will never notice during the night.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mrsnorer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 01:31 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Welcome to the zoo Mrs. Norer.

Hi MrSnorer, welcome to the forum!

When I received my first APAP machine the Respiratory Tech set it for wide open, and I complained and had him raise the minimum pressure a few times, eventually up to 9, which was the lowest I could stand.

But the max pressure was left at its default value of 20, probably for no good reason, since some patients have potentially serious problems when the pressure is too high, problems with balance or hearing or eyes or lungs or heart or excessive swallowing of air, or increased severity of central apneas. Most patients have no serious problems, but having a max pressure set way higher than usually needed is something to be cautious about and to keep an eye on if any problems are suspected.

By the way, if you would like, you can send a Private Message to SuperSleeper to make the S in your username capitalized. However, no guarantee that the jokesters will have less fun.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with retired_guy (sometimes one size larger is a good idea) but need to also point out that sometimes one (or even two) sizes SMALLER also works better.

I played with everyone one of the (standard) P10 pillows, thinking at times all of them were perfect.

Ended up using the Small (even though I am a big guy -- with an average nose) almost all the time.

I still use the medium for softness if my nose becomes irritated.

This also is a useful trick -- if one of the pillows irritates you nose, try changing temporarily to a different size (up or down.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
To answer your original question, the S9 should go to about 10 to do the mask fit. I think it also does some math and does something about slightly less than where your median is or maybe the 95% is or something like that.

Personally, I think the mask fit is kinda useless for pillows. There's so little to come loose and flap in the breeze as opposed to a full face mask or a nasal mask. Just put them in, turn on the machine and settle down for the night.

If you are just starting to use the CPAP, ignore everyone's advice above about pressure. Get used to the machine and all that first. But do consider downloading and using SleepyHead or ResScan and view your data. Once you have gone gotten used to it all or if you can't adjust, let us know. But if you have been using this for a while, consider narrowing that range some. You can use your data to determine the best range for you.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
S9 AutoSet ... mask-fit pressure

Early models
Mask-fit feature delivers 10 cm H2O or set CPAP pressure (whichever is greater) for a three-minute period, prior to starting treatment.

Later updated models
Mask-fit pressure is based on the 95th percentile of the previous session or 10 cm H2O whichever is greater.

In the S9 Elite, the mask-fit feature delivers 10 cm H2O or set CPAP pressure (whichever is greater) for a three-minute period, prior to starting treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 44 2,957 9 hours ago
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,549 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,963 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,602 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 983 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.