Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airfit P10 coming off at night
Airfit P10 coming off at night
I've been using this mask for almost a year now, and absolutely love it; however, recently I've encountered a problem in which I wake up in the morning and it is no longer on my head, so I'm losing 20% to 33% of therapy time, according to my data. I don't know if I'm consciously taking it off, or it's falling off as I toss and turn. The headgear is approaching 6 months old, so I'll be getting a new one soon per my insurance replacement schedule. Wondering if it's just too stretched out, and maybe I should dry it in the dryer rather than air-dry. Hoping that my subconscious hasn't decided that I don't need therapy anymore and is thus removing it on behalf of my conscious mind. :-/

Does anyone else have this issue and a good solution?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airfit P10 coming off at night
If you Don't already do this, try using hot water to clean and soak the headband. I don't know whether using the dryer to dry the headwaters is advisable or not. Good luck with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started using my P10 I would occasionally wake up to the headgear sliding over my head and the mask falling off . I found that putting my chin strap on over the P10 headgear makes mask much more stable and less likely to come off.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're pulling it off theres not much washing the headgear will do except perhaps making it slightly more difficult to pull off. But if you are yanking it off then the solution needs to be quite different. If you can set up a video camera of you sleeping you will find your answer in the replay.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I separate the 2 straps and tuck the bottom one below the bump in the head (also called occipital protuberance). This steadies the mask while I can adjust the tightness by adjusting the top one. It has worked so far. I am still using the headgear that came with the mask 1.5+ years ago.

Also, soaking the headgear in a glass of warm water for 1 minute tightens it considerably.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's pretty much what I do too.

I pull the back strap down to the occipital area and pull some hair out over it. Of course I have thick hair to work with. Then keep the top strap up on crown area while adjusting pillows and pulling the top strap forward or back until fit is perfect. Can't pull back too far, or you get "piggy nose".
I wear the top strap slightly forward so that pillows feel slightly loose but yet sitting firmly under nose.

I then use the "mask fit check" feature at the same time adjusting pillows and let them inflate and seal. Then we're good to go...the mask never moves.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, folks! Consistently using the occipital protuberance (happy to have that anatomy term in my repertoire now, BTW, so thanks AshSF) as an "anchor point" seems to have helped for now.

Also, using the same headgear after 1.5 years is impressive!
Post Reply Post Reply
THe instructions, and my DHE, do say to use HOT water, if you need to shrink the strap back to size. I usually have to do it once a month, after the first 6 weeks of a new strap. Also, the nasal pillows wear out (for most of us) and get "flappy" (technical term, ya know). That won't make it fall off, but it might produce a leak / whistle which might cause YOU to yank it off.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2016, 05:10 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: THe instructions, and my DHE, do say to use HOT water, if you need to shrink the strap back to size.

Thanks for the info but, for most of us, you're about 2 years late on hearing it. Grin The only thing to keep in mind on the P10 is certain parts are made with low-temp plastic. Don't use water any hotter than you can comfortably keep your hands in when cleaning them. The head strap can withstand a hotter temperature. Mine is going on 2 years and I dry it in the microwave.

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I mean just the head strap, NOT the plastics. And I've only had this brand for a year; that's why I'm late in hearing it! Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,185 2 hours ago
Last Post: car54
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,574 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,226 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.