Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airflow S10 dangers, help
Airflow S10 dangers, help
HI,  
I purchased a Resmed Airflow s10 which they said was barely used.  Well, that was not true.

There was some dust at the intake, but I took it for $150

So this is what the motor looked like:  

First attempt at cleaning:

Frankly this scares the hell out of me.  There is no way I would use this as is.

Is there anyway I can get this apart or get a new motor?

Thanks,
kyork Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airflow S10 dangers, help
The Airsense 10 records run-hours in the About section of the cliical settings. What is the reading you see there? This unit appears to have run a lot of hours in a dirty environment without a filter.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I checked it was a weird symbol and it appeared to have been zeroed out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Following up:  so far I am looking at @ $205.   

(Seriously, do not take this these CPAPs  apart unless you are very tech savy…   it is difficult at best.)

1) I can send it to a place in CA, they will replace the motor and the filter.  Turn around is a day.

2) I can take to a medical supply here in Charlotte.  They will send it out to resmed:    Turn around is 2 - 3 weeks.

3) someone on ebay is selling the motors but they are used.

Both 1+2 require shipping.

It would seem that neither will clean the machine physically other than to use Ozone...   or windex?

Currently I am cleaning airflow exposed or dirty surfaces with Control II (as I use for the main hose twice a year.)

I will either re-assemble and send to one of the above...   or just have the #1 send me the motor and foam ring.

Either way, a clean/sterile Airsense 10 autoset for under $400.  Not terrible I hope!

Dont-know Dont-know If anyone has better advice please tell me.  Dont-know Dont-know 

This is the Airsense 10 autoset (black) machine.

Just for giggles, two more pics.   I should have taken a lot more:

Post Reply Post Reply
Is the housing on that motor corroded, or was this a smoker's machine?

If you are at liberty to reveal the repair facility, you can certainly name them and even include a phone number, just no link.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow is that dirty. Personally I'm not sure which of your possible actions is best. All seem OK I suppose, but possibly the quick repair turn around may be a plus on your choice 1. As long as you can get all the crud out that is. Update when you got the info.

PS I can only imagine what the previous owner's respiratory tract looked like.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apologies, I am not sure I will be able to turn the machine back on before I get the new motor in.   I have tried flushing it with water as it was just impossible to clean and it is now sitting in a Control III solution.  To use it until dry would be quite dangerous.  May just cut the cord and send it in.

The condition of the motor all but screams why you should use a filter and check it frequently.  No matter what we do, air does get around that filter.   

I highly doubt the previous owner lived in a smoking house.  Not only would I smell it in the machine, but also on the case and the other parts.

What ever is in the motor is dead now and most likely will not come back to life... I Hope.  In attempting to get the casing apart,  I have undoubtedly sprung a few leaks.  Thought about using the current motor, but still... would sleep better knowing there was a new one in there.  

Thanks for all the replies.  This is new ground for me...  My next post will be about the best way to ensure all the settings from my S9 get into the AirSense 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
kyork,
I personally could not use that machine, but I hope you can get it cleaned and repaired at a reasonable cost.

Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airsense 10 reversed airflow Gap6d 6 448 02-19-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Hose Restricting Airflow? breathingisoverrated 4 841 01-29-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Purchasing a Used CPAP Machine Dangers? upsman 10 1,871 01-30-2022, 09:21 AM
  [CPAP] Resmed S9 airflow issue newmar 8 986 01-09-2021, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  F20 elbow blocking airflow Jdubb 4 1,918 04-05-2020, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  nasal pillow with high airflow tvkmez11 1 908 03-23-2020, 07:51 AM
  question about airflow Barbara.Levitan 3 729 03-13-2020, 10:21 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.