Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airing - any news about it?
RE: Airing - any news about it?
(06-07-2017, 03:27 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: The problem I have with the Airing is not so much the tiny blowers and battery, but the simple mechanics of keeping it in place without a head-gear. It seems to me that if the nose buds fit tight enough to stay in place under pressure, they will fit so tightly that they can't be removed in the morning. Shock

Then... perhaps... this is the definition of "continious CPAP" !!!

Laugh-a-lot

Costas
Post Reply Post Reply
The only issue I have is sort of like the Shark Tank issue that you always hear them say, "We need a wide full market to scale this thing, and because this is so niche I'm out". So when I look at this subject I think of it in that light. Let's say for the sake of argument you're a scam artist, and you want to raise money for a fraudulent product, keep said money, and never really do much of anything.... so you think of things to "manufacture"... do you pick such a niche market as CPAP and do that? I would think there'd be better items that would attract way more people and money than this. So for me using that type of logic I think it's far more likely that Airing has a good idea, possibly someone in the circle afflicted with Sleep Apnea, or something, and he believes he can make this thing. I'd like to believe he has good intentions, and would love nothing more to make the device, and make it work, for as many people, and as inexpensively as possible, and of course in the process make money. Now, whether or not he can do it, or whether or not it is feasible, that's a whole different thing. But I don't personally think it's a scam. even if the product never comes out, even if it's a dismal failure, I don't feel he did it to con people or scam them. I think he'd like to get it done, and the money he's accepting is going toward making a real product. But hell, maybe i'm a nut case, and totally off base.

While we're on the subject though, if you want to speak about vapor ware, and things that may or may not ever happen, and yet people are throwing money at it, just take a gander here - http://www.mars-one.com/mission Tell me if you think that's not far fetched, and before you do, look at the cash that has raised, and continues to raise.... holy cow.

It's just my thought that these days we're all pretty jaded about things. And i'm not saying we don't have reason to be, or to be skeptical of things. But it seems we'd rather hang everyone as a scam artist, con man, than ever dare give anyone the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to do something and for all the right reasons, and they just haven't done it yet. Think what might have happened if Tesla, Einstein, Marconey, hey even Tucker (look how long it took them to add windshield wipers.... long after he was beaten out of business and everyone lost their money), and so many others were dismissed as con men, snake oil salesman, etc. Where might the world be now? Just my 2 cents worth, do with it as you will
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to disagree on the niche market. You find such a market where people are desperate enough either because they hate what they have or are starving for innovation, and they will pay for anything. And when it comes to health, people will pay for anything.

If this is a scam, and I really think it is, I don't think they expected such a huge response. Now they can't disappear.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2017, 05:22 PM)Costas P Wrote: I could never imagine that by asking a question about a (non existing) product could cause a... mess. I would never do such a thing - try to get people ungry about something I brought in a discussion.

I completelly ignore any "history" of such "ripping" situations regarding "Airing", but having previous experience in other forums in which I am (or used to be) a member, I know that people can get into "fights". It has never crossed my mind that this could have happened, when I started this topic, and I can assure you: I would never do so.

Still, if someone would like to inform me about all this, please do it, in a PM perhaps, or even here with a post.

Wink

Costas

Read some of the SoClean threads for interesting "discussions".

We have fostered such a foundation of patient empowerment that scams or other such idiocy (see the So-Clean threads) tend to rile some of us up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2017, 03:44 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I have to disagree on the niche market. You find such a market where people are desperate enough either because they hate what they have or are starving for innovation, and they will pay for anything. And when it comes to health, people will pay for anything.

If this is a scam, and I really think it is, I don't think they expected such a huge response. Now they can't disappear.

You certainly could be right. I'd like to think you aren't, but as of this date it certainly is possible. I certainly leave the possibility open.

I don't know if they're still bringing in money or not though. If not they could have said by now "It isn't gonna work" and closed up shop. Of course if people are still investing though that would explain them sticking around.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2017, 03:47 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 05:22 PM)Costas P Wrote: I could never imagine that by asking a question about a (non existing) product could cause a... mess. I would never do such a thing - try to get people ungry about something I brought in a discussion.

I completelly ignore any "history" of such "ripping" situations regarding "Airing", but having previous experience in other forums in which I am (or used to be) a member, I know that people can get into "fights". It has never crossed my mind that this could have happened, when I started this topic, and I can assure you: I would never do so.

Still, if someone would like to inform me about all this, please do it, in a PM perhaps, or even here with a post.

Wink

Costas

Read some of the SoClean threads for interesting "discussions".

We have fostered such a foundation of patient empowerment that scams or other such idiocy (see the So-Clean threads) tend to rile some of us up.

Thanks for prompting me to read about the "So Clean" threads. I see what you mean... Well, these things happen, but... at least So Clean is an existing product. On the contrary: Airing seems to coming to Earth with the arrival of Spaceship Enterprise...
I suggest we keep on waitting till Enterprise arrives from its trip to outer space and then we'll see...
Perhaps... Captain Kerk or Dr. Spok know something about it!...

Too-funny  Laugh-a-lot Cool

Costas
Post Reply Post Reply
Just food for thought . . . CPAP machine specs show an airflow capability of 120 Liters per minute at highest settings . . . a battery to run a CPAP machine for a night (maybe two without heated humidification) is about 7.5 X 5 X 1 inches. The notion of accomplishing 120 L per minute with a bunch of little flapping things powered by a battery that will flap them for a full night all jammed into a nose piece is poppycock. There isn't really a pie in that sky, sorry. I'd like for there to be a way, too, but it realistically can't happen.
Good news is CPAP devices and masks continue to advance, I'm sure they'll get smaller and more comfortable. Battery technology advances, too, so there'll be a device one day that you can easily carry with you in travel that'll run on battery for a long trip.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2017, 07:35 PM)edfreeman Wrote: Just food for thought . . . CPAP machine specs show an airflow capability of 120 Liters per minute at highest settings . . . a battery to run a CPAP machine for a night (maybe two without heated humidification) is about 7.5 X 5 X 1 inches.  The notion of accomplishing 120 L per minute with a bunch of little flapping things powered by a battery that will flap them for a full night all jammed into a nose piece is poppycock.  There isn't really a pie in that sky, sorry.  I'd like for there to be a way, too, but it realistically can't happen.
Good news is CPAP devices and masks continue to advance, I'm sure they'll get smaller and more comfortable.  Battery technology advances, too, so there'll be a device one day that you can easily carry with you in travel that'll run on battery for a long trip.

Here's some extra food for thought;

Is it more likely that this:
[Image: IBM7094.jpg]

Becomes this:
[Image: galaxy-s8-orchid-grey-27.jpg?itok=MUmmHwgR]

Or that this:

[Image: TranscendCPAPMachine4.jpg]

Becomes this:

[Image: hand-with-new-airing.jpg?format=2500w]

Having seen the former happen, I think somehow, someway the latter will happen. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but you can bet it's going to happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
What they figured out how to do in your first example is to move electrons far more efficiently in conductive/semiconductive materials. Moving air is a completely different animal, it is a fluid that you have to physically move from point A to point B. If I remember my metric system properly, a ml is a cubic cm, so the CPAP's can move 120,000 cm3 of air in a minute. Very generously giving 2 cm2 of flapping area and a 1mm flapping displacement would give 600,000 flaps a minute, all night, in a small plastic enclosure with control electronics and a battery for the full night.
I'd love for every piece of technology there is to travel the path of the mainframe to iPhone evolution/revolution, but there are limits when you begin to move physical things, fluids, solids, etc., instead of electrons and light pulses, real physical limitations. As I said, the technology will continue to improve, it'll be really good to have that compact gizmo I don't have to plug in and can change my settings with my phone.
Heck, people with the existing empty plastic nose pieces are already complaining about discomfort and difficulty keeping them in. Imagine having them under pressure . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2017, 09:06 PM)edfreeman Wrote: What they figured out how to do in your first example is to move electrons far more efficiently in conductive/semiconductive materials.  Moving air is a completely different animal, it is a fluid that you have to physically move from point A to point B.  If I remember my metric system properly, a ml is a cubic cm, so the CPAP's can move 120,000 cm3 of air in a minute.  Very generously giving 2 cm2 of flapping area and a 1mm flapping displacement would give 600,000 flaps a minute, all night, in a small plastic enclosure with control electronics and a battery for the full night.
I'd love for every piece of technology there is to travel the path of the mainframe to iPhone evolution/revolution, but there are limits when you begin to move physical things, fluids, solids, etc., instead of electrons and light pulses, real physical limitations.  As I said, the technology will continue to improve, it'll be really good to have that compact gizmo I don't have to plug in and can change my settings with my phone.
Heck, people with the existing empty plastic nose pieces are already complaining about discomfort and difficulty keeping them in.  Imagine having them under pressure . . .

Miniaturizing things depends a whole lot on perspective. There was a point where it was impossible to get all that on a single chip yet now it is common place. If all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail. I looked at what Airing is saying, and it is possible that the "rules" of current cpap therapy will not apply to this device. In the same manner as the Advent uses a different pressure system to work for some people (yes fewer than cpap, and likely not well). Point is, I don't see this being as far fetched as some are saying. Everything, in all tech spaces gets smaller, I highly doubt this will be the exception. As to comfort, who's to say what is comfortable for one and not another. Added to the thought that empty it is likely less balanced and less comfortable than a device that works. And again, the "pressure" may very well be different to move the air and create the pressure that it needs. 

So many things have been impossible over the years, so so so many things, until viola, someone made it work, and then it was possible. Haters gonna hate as the tweens are saying these days. I'm just saying this is no more unlikely than the rest of things that were impossible not long ago. Keep an open mind is all I'm saying.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 643 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  FYI: PHILLIPS NEWS srlevine1 0 576 10-24-2022, 02:53 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] Apnea Board News - 2022 SuperSleeper 0 791 06-27-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Phillips DreamStation 1 News? Mutineer 0 822 05-04-2021, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Mutineer
  [News] April 2021 ResMed news SarcasticDave94 5 997 04-06-2021, 08:37 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Interesting mask fit news from Phillips Gooserider 5 1,302 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Good news with side sleeping renoir 6 1,400 01-03-2020, 11:11 PM
Last Post: SleepyTexasGirl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.