Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airing - any news about it?
RE: Airing - any news about it?
What Ed sed.

Fluid dynamics is WAY different than electrical .... I don't see it as a valid comparison.

You ocme upon limits. Some folks have offered aircraft and flying as an example. If that is such a good example, then why have we not seen any substantial advances in commercial aviation since 1957 - 60 years ago. Oh, planes can go further. But they're still fling the same altitudes and speeds as the early 707s did. And I think that's kind of where we're at with PAP therapy. You'll see minor, incremental improvements, but I seriously doubt anything like Airing. Airing is like somebody saying they are going to make a commercially viable air transport that will haul 1,000 people from Tokyo to Orlando in 10 minutes and do it with less than 200 gallons of fuel and paint the plane in a covering that will convert atmospheric CO2 into jelly beans along the way. It simply ain't gonna happen.

Folks that think the promoters of Airing have a pure heart of gold are, well, in my opinion, overly optimistic. More than 50 years of observing human nature, most of that in a professional capacity, tends to confirm my expectation of their intent. I think they got the money and now will eventually fade out of the picture and nothing will become of the "device". Unless they find a way to keep squeezing more money out of it. I note that they have switched from hawking money for "development costs" to selling some sort of "coupon" for the units when they come out - or more likely never.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2017, 09:30 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: What Ed sed.

Fluid dynamics is WAY different than electrical ....  I don't see it as a valid comparison.  

You ocme upon limits.  Some folks have offered aircraft and flying as an example.  If that is such a good example, then why have we not seen any substantial advances in commercial aviation since 1957 - 60 years ago.  Oh, planes can go further.  But they're still fling the same altitudes and speeds as the early 707s did.  And I think that's kind of where we're at with PAP therapy.  You'll see minor, incremental improvements, but I seriously doubt anything like Airing.  Airing is like somebody saying they are going to make a commercially viable air transport that will haul 1,000 people from Tokyo to Orlando in 10 minutes and do it with less than 200 gallons of fuel and paint the plane in a covering that will convert atmospheric CO2 into jelly beans along the way.  It simply ain't gonna happen.

Folks that think the promoters of Airing have a pure heart of gold are, well, in my opinion, overly optimistic.  More than 50 years of observing human nature, most of that in a professional capacity, tends to confirm my expectation of their intent.  I think they got the money and now will eventually fade out of the picture and nothing will become of the "device".  Unless they find a way to keep squeezing more money out of it.  I note that they have switched from hawking money for "development  costs" to selling some sort of "coupon" for the units when they come out - or more likely never.

OMMOHY

I know I'm a difficult person, lol. Maybe even crazy for thinking it's possible.

You chose aircraft and flying, sooooooo..... let's just use the concorde vs 747 which can fly from london to jfk in half the time.  As I said, nothing is possible till it is. We could throw in the SR71 Blackbird and all that jazz. Truth is we don't want to pay for that, it's not that it's not possible.

I don't know heart of gold, if Airing or someone later makes this work think of the money it'd be worth. Hell of a motivator. 

But hey who knows, maybe all you guys are right and I'm a crazy guy!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
By the time they get the technology to work there could be a whole new treatment or cure for apnea.
At any rate I don't think I'll be around to see it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2017, 09:37 PM)Galactus Wrote: But hey who knows, maybe all you guys are right and I'm a crazy guy!
Not crazy, just a hopeless optimist Big Grin

But yes, the numbers related to what is needed to move a specific volume of air are the problem.

Effectively, the system is claiming to do the equivalent of sending a man to the moon with the power available from the Redstone.  The physics just don't add up (with current and foreseeable technology)... and it's being offered at $90 for 45 disposable units...  

I agree with the above comment...  by the time this device is possible to produce and sell, we will have nanobots injected into our bloodstream that will repair apnea internally.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2017, 09:37 PM)Galactus Wrote:

Fluid dynamics is WAY different than electrical ....  I don't see it as a valid comparison.  

You ocme upon limits.  Some folks have offered aircraft and flying as an example.  If that is such a good example, then why have we not seen any substantial advances in commercial aviation since 1957 - 60 years ago.  Oh, planes can go further.  But they're still fling the same altitudes and speeds as the early 707s did.  And I think that's kind of where we're at with PAP therapy.  You'll see minor, incremental improvements, but I seriously doubt anything like Airing.  Airing is like somebody saying they are going to make a commercially viable air transport that will haul 1,000 people from Tokyo to Orlando in 10 minutes and do it with less than 200 gallons of fuel and paint the plane in a covering that will convert atmospheric CO2 into jelly beans along the way.  It simply ain't gonna happen.

Folks that think the promoters of Airing have a pure heart of gold are, well, in my opinion, overly optimistic.  More than 50 years of observing human nature, most of that in a professional capacity, tends to confirm my expectation of their intent.  I think they got the money and now will eventually fade out of the picture and nothing will become of the "device".  Unless they find a way to keep squeezing more money out of it.  I note that they have switched from hawking money for "development  costs" to selling some sort of "coupon" for the units when they come out - or more likely never.

OMMOHY

I know I'm a difficult person, lol. Maybe even crazy for thinking it's possible.

You chose aircraft and flying, sooooooo..... let's just use the concorde vs 747 which can fly from london to jfk in half the time.  As I said, nothing is possible till it is. We could throw in the SR71 Blackbird and all that jazz. Truth is we don't want to pay for that, it's not that it's not possible.

I don't know heart of gold, if Airing or someone later makes this work think of the money it'd be worth. Hell of a motivator. 

Nah.  I agree with the assessment of hopeless (maybe hopeful) optimist.  I'm an irritatingly logical engineer (a label I made for myself but endorsed by just about everyone who knows me).  It's all good . . . just don't invest more than optimism in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's just say that as computing power has become greater and much smaller, the size of the rocket thrusters needed to put x-tons in orbit remains the same. Comparing computing power to motive power is apples to oranges. We get more horsepower per cubic inch in engines today, but I wouldn't call it miniaturization yet.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2017, 09:14 AM)edfreeman Wrote:
(06-07-2017, 09:37 PM)Galactus Wrote:

OMMOHY

Nah.  I agree with the assessment of hopeless (maybe hopeful) optimist.  I'm an irritatingly logical engineer (a label I made for myself but endorsed by just about everyone who knows me).  It's all good . . . just don't invest more than optimism in it.

I thoroughly agree with a no investment policy. I buy products, I don't think I'd ever invest in a go fund me idea or something like that. And I don't really think people should invest their money in it either. These things should be done with venture capital or venture debt etc. I simply take issue with labeling him a con man or whatever other euphemism. I think that just because we believe it won't work doesn't mean it won't and burying the guy for our disagreement just doesn't work for me. Let him try and make it work, support him with our thoughts and prayers, and wish him well while he tries to make it work. Because if he does it could be good for all of us. Don't give him any hard earned money though lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2017, 10:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Let's just say that as computing power has become greater and much smaller, the size of the rocket thrusters needed to put x-tons in orbit remains the same.  Comparing computing power to motive power is apples to oranges.  We get more horsepower per cubic inch in engines today, but I wouldn't call it miniaturization yet.

This is also not going to work for me. It's simply not all that factual. Though it may be true that to get something of a specified size to a point in space requires a specific amount of energy I'm sure you will admit that with the development of new fuels, new engines, lighter materials etc., we can now do what was thought to be impossible not that many years ago based on the amount of fuel it would have taken. So yes we did miniaturize even that. If we tried to send a satellite to orbit with a steam engine or a gas engine it would have been impossible for many reasons not just for the fact that the fuel requirements would have made it impossible. With the advent of newer fuels and technologies the impossible became possible. And if you pause to look at the Apolo rockets vs say the Space shuttle I think we can agree there was a great deal of miniaturization that occurred to get that giant shuttle into orbit rather than that tiny capsule. We need to be a tad more open minded is all I'm suggesting. There's no reason this can't happen. It may be unlikely, but it's far from impossible.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's the thing.
People HAVE been giving him their hard-earned money, and this "product" has been seeking funding for a long time.
2 million dollars, and the product does not yet exist, yet the video with the farmer makes it sound like he HAS the technology and that the product DOES exist... and even promising to continue to develop a rechargeable version.

I would be more inclined to agree with you and give him the benefit of the doubt were the video presented more as "This is the theory and we are working to develop this technology"... but no... he "discovered" these micropumps that apparently can move more air than the physics of this universe allow, while powered by a zinc-air (hearing aid) battery. He presents the farmer and the script is written in a way that indicates that this is an actual product that is being tested and sales only await FDA approval.

He's picked up another $800,000 since he made those claims.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's probably lying when it clams to be a waffle iron.

In my years as a cop, one of the things that saved my butt in a big way, on several occasions, was the dictum to watch what the hands are doing, not what the mouth is saying. Hands is taking in money by the metric buttload while the mouth is still going on and on and on about huge success towards an impossible product. I have virtually ZERO capability to believe that the "promoters" have any intention other than to quite gleefully fleece the gullible.

As always, follow the money if you want to understand the nature of, and inspiration for, a transaction. Lots of money into somebody's pockets. ZERO supportable, visible indication of any substantive work or research being done.

Draw your own conclusion and find your won salvation

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 679 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  FYI: PHILLIPS NEWS srlevine1 0 590 10-24-2022, 02:53 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] Apnea Board News - 2022 SuperSleeper 0 817 06-27-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Phillips DreamStation 1 News? Mutineer 0 837 05-04-2021, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Mutineer
  [News] April 2021 ResMed news SarcasticDave94 5 1,013 04-06-2021, 08:37 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Interesting mask fit news from Phillips Gooserider 5 1,320 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Good news with side sleeping renoir 6 1,426 01-03-2020, 11:11 PM
Last Post: SleepyTexasGirl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.