Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airing - any news about it?
RE: Airing - any news about it?
Looks like it was announced June 1 2015 and the Indegogo opened on June 15 2015.

2 years... no product.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2017, 07:48 PM)CB91710 Wrote: That's the thing.
People HAVE been giving him their hard-earned money, and this "product" has been seeking funding for a long time.
2 million dollars, and the product does not yet exist, yet the video with the farmer makes it sound like he HAS the technology and that the product DOES exist... and even promising to continue to develop a rechargeable version.

I would be more inclined to agree with you and give him the benefit of the doubt were the video presented more as "This is the theory and we are working to develop this technology"... but no...  he "discovered" these micropumps that apparently can move more air than the physics of this universe allow, while powered by a zinc-air (hearing aid) battery.  He presents the farmer and the script is written in a way that indicates that this is an actual product that is being tested and sales only await FDA approval.

He's picked up another $800,000 since he made those claims.

Seems pretty clear to me that the product does not exits. The time line and his information seems to clearly indicate there isn't even a working prototype yet. That's how I read it, and what I get from the site and the fund me page.  At the bottom of this page there is a "revised" time line, I don't know how many revisions there has been but if you look at it it clearly states there is no prototype yet. Am I misunderstanding? Is this why everyone is so annoyed because they feel he's advertising a product? I always read it to be a work in progress, an invention being invented, still in the process. It's one of the reasons I wouldn't pay any money as to me it's not a product yet, it's merely a concept, an idea, and if people want to invest it's buyer beware. But that's a far cry from a scam imho.  Here you look at the link, tell me what you see?  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/airin...chnology#/
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2017, 09:21 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's probably lying when it clams to be a waffle iron.

In my years as a cop, one of the things that saved my butt in a big way, on several occasions, was the dictum to watch what the hands are doing, not what the mouth is saying.  Hands is taking in money by the metric buttload while the mouth is still going on and on and on about huge success towards an impossible product.  I have virtually ZERO capability to believe that the "promoters" have any intention other than to quite gleefully fleece the gullible.

As always, follow the money if you want to understand the nature of, and inspiration for, a transaction.  Lots of money into somebody's pockets.  ZERO supportable, visible indication of any substantive work or research being done.

Draw your own conclusion and find your won salvation

OMMOHY
It's all good to be a skeptic, but if you want to say "ZERO supportable, visible indication of any substantive work or research being done." that's a pretty harsh conclusion with no evidence. I haven't visited the lab, have you? Do you know they aren't diligently working on the product? Or is all this just a guess with no evidence? I mean come on as law enforcement, current or past, you know it's great to have a hunch but a hunch doesn't butter the biscuit. How about some proof before we call the guy a con man or slander him? I don't know what he is or isn't doing as far as work goes.

It does bother me there's no contact information anywhere on his page. No address, no telephone number, that bugs me. But as I said I wouldn't give him any money. I just think he may have a good idea and that it could eventually work. I don't know if that makes this a scam or a work in progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2017, 10:12 PM)Galactus Wrote: Here you look at the link, tell me what you see?
I see 2 years of zero progress or updates.

3/14/2015 "We are very close to having the first fully-constructed micro-blower subassemblies completed."

Funding opened in June.   Almost $2 million and no updates, but a lot of cool videos.

This thing has been "around" in various forms since 2009.
-- Rich

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hunh?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2017, 10:36 PM)CB91710 Wrote:
(06-09-2017, 10:12 PM)Galactus Wrote: Here you look at the link, tell me what you see?
I see 2 years of zero progress or updates.

3/14/2015 "We are very close to having the first fully-constructed micro-blower subassemblies completed."

Funding opened in June.   Almost $2 million and no updates, but a lot of cool videos.

This thing has been "around" in various forms since 2009.

Sounds like flying cars and self driving autos I've been hearing about since I was a child. I know how many years there were with no visible progress but I doubt I could even venture a guess to how much money was spent... I did read GM built a whole test track for self driving cars with devices in the ground and spent some 10 Million or more doing it, and that's been replaced with GPS and was a total waste. They also had many cool videos... This year I finally got to see the Audi and lane or traffic assist.
Post Reply Post Reply
Again, apples and oranges.
You are comparing things limited by available technology to something that is limited by physics.
To move 5 litres of air per minute at 20cmh2o requires that whatever kind of pump used physically move that much air.

For a "microblower" (really more of a microbellows) to move that much air, it would have to be operating at an extremely high frequency. I think one of the engineers above calculated something like 600khz, using generous numbers for the pump area.
Okay... that's perhaps not physically impossible, though vibration and acoustic isolation is going to be a challenge.

The issue is the energy required, in addition to the control electronics and sensors. There simply is not sufficient power available to power such a device from zinc-air technology.

This device is in the same category as the Triton human gill (oh looky, another Indiegogo funded project!) that collected well over $800,000

As P.T. Barnum said, there's one born every minute.

Take a good look at the new ResMed AirMini.
That is it.
That is the state of the art.
If a CPAP device could have been made smaller than that, it would have been done.

A disposable device that only lasts for a single night? That is a sales associate's dream.
-- Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not comparing apples to oranges, I'm pointing out how long, and how much money things cost to get to market.
Just because you feel $2 Mil and 5 years is too long does not make it so.
Just because you feel that the Resmed unit is as small as it will ever be doesn't make it so.
Just because you feel that if they could have made it smaller they would have, doesn't make it so.
The world is full of people who said "It can't be done" just to watch someone else do it. That's an indisputable fact of life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can't we just let this go? I tired of hearing about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a voluntary investment in a concept. There are no guarantees in a start-up. They are not selling a product, they are offering an investment in the ground floor that may or may not work out. No stomach for high risk, don't invest. It is really no that difficult.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 642 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  FYI: PHILLIPS NEWS srlevine1 0 576 10-24-2022, 02:53 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] Apnea Board News - 2022 SuperSleeper 0 791 06-27-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Phillips DreamStation 1 News? Mutineer 0 822 05-04-2021, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Mutineer
  [News] April 2021 ResMed news SarcasticDave94 5 997 04-06-2021, 08:37 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Interesting mask fit news from Phillips Gooserider 5 1,302 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Good news with side sleeping renoir 6 1,400 01-03-2020, 11:11 PM
Last Post: SleepyTexasGirl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.