Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Terrible Dry Mouth
Terrible Dry Mouth
Use ResMed S9Elite with H5i and Simplex Full Face with Headgear and Climate Line. EPR Level1
Humidity level 6. Wake with terribly dry mouth frequently. I sense no air escaping around face seal. Suggestions to improve this dryness please.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Terrible Dry Mouth
I use a moisturizing mouth wash before bed. You'll find these products in the dental products aisle at your pharmacy. It doesn't eliminate it completely but it helps a lot. The last time I didn't use it I woke up to what felt like a piece of bark in my mouth...
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure you are adequately hydrated throughout the day.
Make sure the water in the resevoir is full and working properly.
Using the dry mouth sprays as mentioned above.

And finally, if the problem persists, please check with a physician regarding autoimmune conditions such as Sjogren's syndrom. If you have something like that, the sooner you start getting it treated, the sooner you slow down the progressions of symptoms, or maybe even stop or reverse them. Once an autoimmune condition has damaged your body, it can be difficult or impossible to repair (ex rheumatoid arthritis can make it excruciating to use your hands due to joint damage and inflammation. Preventing or slowing that allows you to be independent and functional longer)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2017, 05:44 PM)captTPT Wrote: Use ResMed S9Elite with H5i and Simplex Full Face with Headgear and Climate Line. EPR Level1
Humidity level 6. Wake with terribly dry mouth frequently. I sense no air escaping around face seal. Suggestions to improve this dryness please.

You may be mouth breathing even with a full face mask, which could cause your dry mouth.
Your humidity seems sufficient. Do you use a chin strap with your mask? Just something to think about.

I rinse with ACT Total Care dry mouth rinse right before bed, and that helps to keep my mouth moist.

Hope you get it sorted out, dry mouth can be nasty.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi captTPT,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the moisturizing solution. Not sure I get the mouth breathing. Using full face mask. Hi humidity should moisten mouth just like the nose, hypopharynx, and airways. Not enough?  Not having any significant air escape. I fill reservoir daily.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2017, 11:20 PM)captTPT Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the moisturizing solution. Not sure I get the mouth breathing. Using full face mask. Hi humidity should moisten mouth just like the nose, hypopharynx, and airways. Not enough?  Not having any significant air escape. I fill reservoir daily.

Well, I've found that I get dry mouth with a full face mask and the humidifier set to max.  I wear a chin strap to help keep the mouth closed and that helps a lot.

The inside of your mouth and airway are at around 98 degrees Fahrenheit and air that warm can hold a lot of water.  Even with the humidifier full blast at a lower temperature the air when warmed will have quite a low relative humidity, thus the dry mouth.  Your nose moistens the air you breath in if it's working correctly, but your mouth doesn't.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Did a little test last night. Definitely looks like I am mouth breathing. Wife confirmed. Chin strap may help. Tried a single Xylimelt last night. That worked very nicely for 7 hours. Will do some experimentation with the other moisturizers suggested. Thanks for your help with this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another potential solution is wearing a soft cervical collar.  It worked for me where a chin strap did not.  I think that I was chin tucking.  It is also a lot more comfortable than the chin strap, at least to me.  They are cheap and should be available in most drug stores.
Post Reply Post Reply
Air appears to be drier when it comes through these machines, if you can try turning uo the humidity a bit, if you get condensation in the hose or mask it is to high.  Making sure you drink enough water during the day and early evening.
No two people are the same, so what is enough humidity for one might not be enough for another.
I have my humidifier full up and sometimes that is not enough.
You can also talk to your pharmacy as you can get a spray to help if more humidity does not work.  (you can get this is my country anyway!)
You can also get a small sweet type thing that attaches to you gum and helps with the production of slivia, but these only last a few hours. (You can get them here anyway).
Hope you solve the problem shortly as dry mouth is not nice.  It can feel like the bottom of a parrots cage at times.   Big Grinnie
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 30 5 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 370 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.