Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airmini noise question
RE: Airmini noise question
A few months ago, shortly after I started this thread, I purchased the official AirMini version of the P10 mask. While I agree that it is still definitely noisier than a normal P10 + AirSense 10, the tenor / harshness of the inhalation sound is reduced quite a bit by the AirMini version of the P10.

Having used both, I think it’s solely due to the fact that the AirMini P10 gets the vents further away from your face (exhalation ports at the humidX cartridge port, rather than on the nosepiece of the mask).

As others have mentioned, it’s a bonus that the official hose is thin and flexible compared to a generic hose, which makes it even more portable for travel.

I’m now sleeping great with the AirMini, with an AHI on-par with my AirSense. I’m also not using any humidification and haven’t noticed any dryness / irritation, even after 7+ days of consecutive usage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply, but can you explain to a rookie? I've seen the P10 mask on the internet but have never tried one. I have been using Airsense 10 for years with the N20 mask, totally quiet. I'm now using the N20 with the Air Mini and getting all the noise. So should I switch to a P10 (I just bought two N20s!)?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for taking the time, Sleepydwarf. You posted: "In my opinion, the combination of the Zephair and Q-Tube seems the be the best solution."

Everybody on this thread seems to know the jargon other than me, so I have a couple of questions. I looked up Zephair online and it is looks like the attachment to the Air Mini. How is this any different from the one that comes with the Air Mini N20? And how would it attach to the hose? Do you cut the other one off and tape the Zephair on? The same with the Q Tube...the listing says it works with most CPAPs but my N20 has a single hose up until the HumidX holder, so where would the Q Tube go?
Post Reply Post Reply
Kerry,

Some background. Every cpap on the planet except for the AirMini uses a standard hose connector. The AirMini uses a proprietary connector at both ends, which necessitates either use of one of the official “AirMini versions” of the P10, N30, N20, or F20 masks, which have the AirMini connector and humidX cartridge port inline, or the use of a hose adapter (like the Zephair), which adapts the Airmini’s proprietary port to use a standard press-fit cpap hose.

The uncertainty surrounding the noise issue stems from the fact that the AirMini versions of these masks exhaust the air differently than most standard masks (which you are using if you elect to go with a Zephair adapter).

Personally, I have found that using the official AirMini version of the P10 is quieter and much more tolerable than the Zephair + standard hose and P10 that I use with my Airsense 10. I attribute the difference to the exhaust port locations, but I’m just one person and that’s my opinion, I may be wrong.

As I have never used the N20 mask you are using, I can’t say whether switching to a P10 would be better or worse from a noise standpoint than what you’re using now, only that, if you decide to switch to a p10 with the AirMini, I’d suggest you start with the official AirMini version of the mask & hose (fit kit).

Hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2022, 06:01 PM)kerryknoll Wrote: Thanks for taking the time, Sleepydwarf. You posted: "In my opinion, the combination of the Zephair and Q-Tube seems the be the best solution."

Everybody on this thread seems to know the jargon other than me, so I have a couple of questions. I looked up Zephair online and it is looks like the attachment to the Air Mini. How is this any different from the one that comes with the Air Mini N20? And how would it attach to the hose? Do you cut the other one off and tape the Zephair on? The same with the Q Tube...the listing says it works with most CPAPs but my N20 has a single hose up until the HumidX holder, so where would the Q Tube go?

The Zephair adapter allows you to use any standard CPAP hose (expect heated one) and any standard mask.  The Q-tube muffler will not work with the AirMini hose since it’s a special design.  What the air mini allows you to do is to use any standard CPAP hose and any standard mask with the AirMini - albeit with the extra noise.  The Q-tube muffler connects to a standard hose.  

In summary.  This is the setup: AirMini —> Zephair —> Q-Tube muffler (comes with short hose) —> standard CPAP hose -> standard (non-AirMini) mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had Airsense 10 for two years and basically almost silent when in use with all mask types. Got Airmini today and I sound like Darth Vader when sleeping!!! Sad Jeeeez, you would think Resmed would have solve this being the Airmini is a much later model than the Airsense 10. 

Glad at least I'm not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an airmini and have used it with the HumidX cartridge and also have used it without the cartridge. The noise didn't seem to be any different with the cartridge or without. It is loud. I used the Resmed N30 mask that is AirMini-specific mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
Same problem with an F-30 full face mask. I put the air mini in a drawer two years ago and just pulled it out and remember now that it is extremely noisy. I was hoping to have a small machine to take on trips with my wife but this just won't work. Please someone tell me how to make this little machine work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if you could just wrap a towel or something around the body of the machine to absorb some of the noise, and maybe put a hose cover over the hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s not the machine itself that is loud, it’s the airflow out the exhalation ports.

The official AirMini version of the P10 nasal pillow mask & hose, with its exhalation ports at the humidX cartridge port, is much quieter than using a generic P10 and hose with a 3rd party adapter.

I nearly returned my AirMini when I first bought it, because all I had was the adapter and generic hose and mask. After purchasing the proper version, I sleep great with it. I still only use it for travel, but I could use it every night if needed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 148 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 909 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree
  Connect Medistrom Pilot 12 Plus to Airsense 11 and Airmini? ICS55 2 306 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: ICS55
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.