Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airplane Cpap Charge
Airplane Cpap Charge
I have not taken a flight since the airlines started charging for baggage.
My wife and I are going to be taking two round trip flights in the next two months. The first will be American and the second United. We will each probably check one suitcase and have one carry on each plus possibly a carry on computer which makes three. One carry one is my cpap that I keep in a carry on size suitcase. I think we will each have to pay a charge for the suitcase we check in. My understanding is that there is no charge for one carry on each. Is there normally a charge to carry on a cpap also if it is my second carry on or is a medical device free?
GeneS
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airplane Cpap Charge
You should have a standard form that explains what it is you have and why you have it, and why it should be carried on. I cannot speak for US arlines, but no European airline, including the no frills ones, will charge you then.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the US, medical equipment does not count toward your baggage limit. You do not have to pay for it nor be limited to just it.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/...conditions
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/...-and-apaps
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
A form is not required in the US. I do not advocate having one and don't carry one. So if you go ahead of me and you show yours, what am I to do when asked to show mine?

There is, however, a TSA notification card to help keep discussions private.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/...ation-card

Not jumping on you at all, Wilorg. It's just a sensitive subject to me.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes you get an idiot that thinks the CPAP is a bomb or other such nefarious device.
Best have a note from your doc and a copy of the prescript, just in case you run into a "Col. Flagg" type
at TSA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2013, 10:13 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Best have a note from your doc and a copy of the prescript, just in case you run into a "Col. Flagg" type at TSA.

It took a few seconds for me to recall that character.

You're showing us your age, Shastzi. Wink
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never claimed I was a teenager, Sleepster. *snerk....giggles!*

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replys. I should be ready now. It sounds like USA and American policies are a little different but I am flying in the USA.
About 13 years ago we went to Switzerland and really liked it. At that time we didn't carry any special paperwork and had no problem. I used a standard converter to go from European 220 V to USA 115 V and did not have any problem with my USA cpap and found out that it would work on a mountain at higher altitudes.

I see one response is from Florida. Do you know if there is a place around Orlando/Disney that will sell supplies or repair or rent cpap equipment if I have a problem which I do not expect to have.
GeneS

Post Reply Post Reply
Genes - the form came into use mostly because of security concerns, not for any other reason. We do a standardised form here from the Lungenliga (and I have to talk to them about revising it because whoever wrote it really didn't speak English) to deal with the Col. Flaggs of the world (and I never said I was a youngster either). I get them all the time, since I travel a lot. I recently encountered one on a trip back from Italy - they raised one helluva stink because of the device, even after seeing the form, and tried to charge me for being overweight in carry on. I called the supervisor over (who spoke German and English - my Italian is pretty weak) and made it clear that this was exempt and they really didn't want to challenge me on this, since Swissair (the predecessor of Swiss Air Lines) helped to draft both the original form and the regs currently in use on Swiss.

A good rule of thumb - whenever you encounter an idiot, wave an official looking piece of paper at them - only the most stupid won't then cave....

Glad you liked Switzerland. I spent a winter once in Hallendale (did I spell it right? It was 1976 so I may no longer know how to spell it) and enjoyed it immensely - Disnyworld was also very interesting, but I was put off by the long line ups for everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never had any trouble wearing a backpack and carrying my CPAP. I usually put the CPAP case on the conveyer open and sometime they check the unit for explosive residue. I put the backpack in the overhead and the CPAP under the seat. Never had any trouble. I have Medical tag on the case. You can get them from most online stores, but I don't think that's it's necessary. I've never been asked for a prescription. Most folks now know what they are. Have a good trip,
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Airplane mode E.W. 3 1,447 10-07-2021, 09:35 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Looking for feedback on experiences with travel batteries (Airplane approved, BIX,??) Mike97 0 590 09-02-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Mike97
  Modem connection lost on ResMed Airsense 10 auto. Not in airplane mode. ljenkins46 4 1,637 09-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  AirSense10 auto keeps sending data, even though it’s in Airplane Mode OperaSinger 14 4,981 08-09-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: yrnkrn
  CPAP Machines On Airplane AC Power SJH1956 2 1,714 09-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Last Post: silentsnore
  Resmed Airsense 10 Airplane Mode nag screen and low-power mode Fats Drywaller 11 4,827 05-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
  [Equipment] Poll: How many turn airplane mode ON after compliance? SarcasticDave94 36 5,919 03-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.