Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airplane Cpap Charge
RE: Airplane Cpap Charge
(01-29-2013, 10:50 PM)genes Wrote: I see one response is from Florida. Do you know if there is a place around Orlando/Disney that will sell supplies or repair or rent cpap equipment if I have a problem which I do not expect to have.
GeneS

I don't get down to Orlando often, Genes, but if I did run into problems there I would use Google to find the nearest repair center. Orlando is fairly cosmopolitan and likely to have whatever you need.

Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it safe to assume the CPAP battery is covered under the "medical equipment" provision for carry-on bags? I'll be traveling (flying) to an outdoor adventure soon where I'll need the battery for the CPAP. According to TSA and AA guidelines, I have to keep the Lithium-Ion battery with me in the passenger compartment. My plan is to have it and the CPAP in their carrying cases and describe them as medical equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2013, 01:06 PM)Shastzi Wrote:
(01-29-2013, 10:50 PM)genes Wrote: I see one response is from Florida. Do you know if there is a place around Orlando/Disney that will sell supplies or repair or rent cpap equipment if I have a problem which I do not expect to have.
GeneS

I don't get down to Orlando often, Genes, but if I did run into problems there I would use Google to find the nearest repair center. Orlando is fairly cosmopolitan and likely to have whatever you need.

Wink

Surely you don't want repairs done by a Mickey Mouse outfit Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
The rules on batteries are different. I think lithium ion can only be carried on board and not checked in?

Here:
http://safetravel.dot.gov/definitions.html

https://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information...nd-devices (ironically, I got a security warning about this link. but it is TSA and valid. could just be my browser)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If the battery is an integral part of the machine (i.e. attached to the machine), TSA will wipe the CPAP down. I've flown for several years with my AEIOMed machine, having it cleaned by TSA every time. When I asked TSA about it, they said that the battery shows up as a solid black object, thus prompting the wipes.

The first few times I flew with this machine, TSA pulled the unit because they'd never seen a CPAP machine so small. Amazing what flips TSA's switch! Grin
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2013, 10:50 PM)genes Wrote: I used a standard converter to go from European 220 V to USA 115 V and did not have any problem with my USA cpap and found out that it would work on a mountain at higher altitudes.

You should need only the simple adapter because the outlets have different geometries. These adapters don't alter the voltage. The Phillips Respironics machines will run off either voltage.

Check the power brick on your CPAP machine. It should say something like "input voltage 115 V to 220 V ac".
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always keep my cpap separate from my carry on bag as airlines are gate checking(taking your carry on from you as you're boarding) more carry ons because of smaller overhead bins and more passengers are using carry ons to avoid baggage fees.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's also that CPAP bag designed by a user. You can read about it in the Commercial section:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ade-Easier

I've been tempted to get one. I got a big long trip coming up in June and it might be a good time to test it out.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I saw that and liked it too... and it is probably a lot lighter than my thick leather pilot's case, but I so love that case.....
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2013, 02:27 PM)Ugly Wrote: [

Surely you don't want repairs done by a Mickey Mouse outfit Grin

You don't want a Goofy or Dopey person to work on it either.
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Airplane mode E.W. 3 1,445 10-07-2021, 09:35 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Looking for feedback on experiences with travel batteries (Airplane approved, BIX,??) Mike97 0 588 09-02-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Mike97
  Modem connection lost on ResMed Airsense 10 auto. Not in airplane mode. ljenkins46 4 1,635 09-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  AirSense10 auto keeps sending data, even though it’s in Airplane Mode OperaSinger 14 4,980 08-09-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: yrnkrn
  CPAP Machines On Airplane AC Power SJH1956 2 1,712 09-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Last Post: silentsnore
  Resmed Airsense 10 Airplane Mode nag screen and low-power mode Fats Drywaller 11 4,823 05-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
  [Equipment] Poll: How many turn airplane mode ON after compliance? SarcasticDave94 36 5,917 03-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.