Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airplane Cpap Charge
RE: Airplane Cpap Charge
(01-30-2013, 07:24 AM)wilorg Wrote: Glad you liked Switzerland. I spent a winter once in Hallendale (did I spell it right? It was 1976 so I may no longer know how to spell it) and enjoyed it immensely - Disnyworld was also very interesting, but I was put off by the long line ups for everything.

We went to Zermott and the Matterhorn, a carving museum plus more places. There is a Hallandale Florida between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale so your spelling is close. I am not a good speller (no phonics in my school).

I am not taking any batteries with me but I am a little cautious with big lithium-ion batteries anyway. One ignited on the new Boeing Plane that is now grounded . I fly RC Airplanes and have heard of modelers burning their houses down by mis-using them. I can see why airlines would watch them close. I think the newer designs are probably safe if charged properly but I still usually stick with the older style batteries if I can.

I will take a prescription with me in case I need it. The new bag looks interesting.

Our grandson is on the Disney work / study college program now so we are going to visit him. If we go to his house to visit him he is usually upstairs on the computer. It is real easy to like and visit our grandson now especially since he can get us a 60% discount on our room. He put on facebook that he saw Snow White texting. Based on what I have read I think that Sleepy may have sleep apnea so I will try to check him out and get him on Cpap and to post on the apnea board for support. There is always room for a few more characters on the apnea board.

I guess I am ready and in the right mood now for a vacation.
Thanks for the advice
GeneS

Post Reply Post Reply
Travel safely, GeneS
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently traveled with my CPAP for the first time. Had no issues going through TSA security lines. Placed the CPAP inside of its' case on the conveyor belt and it disappeared and showed up on the other side. They didn't seem to care what it was, but I made sure to empty out the water first because we can't bring water through security. Neither airport seemed to be bothered with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, just in case you didn't know, removing the water is a good idea not just for security, but so you won't fry your machine when you plug it in. There's no way that water would have stayed where it belonged.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good point, Paula.

Either way, you won't be allowed to take water in any form on board without special dispensation. They are pretty tough about that. Even with special permits, I had trouble doing that for a special device I was transporting for a medical emergency. Keeping it in the machine, unless the machine has some sort of system to keep the water from spilling into other parts of it, seems to me a bit of overkill. If you are worried about getting distilled water where you are going, pack a 1 litre bottle of it in your checked baggage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gee, you never know. Someone might take the water and start a fire with it!

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2013, 04:53 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Gee, you never know. Someone might take the water and start a fire with it!

Smile

I also thought it was a daft regulation, and sometimes (okay often) thought it was simply to give airport another way to gouge you, but an old buddy of mine flies for Air Canada, and he explained that the level of paranoia in pre-flight security is reasonable - he compared it to me making sure that I checked everything to make sure that my patient is going to go home healthy. "And," he said:"There are a lot more F***ing B*st**ds out there now than there were before."

Quite....

Post Reply Post Reply
If you decide to take water in your checked luggage, put that bottle inside a sealed bag! Unless the cargo area has live cargo, it's not going to be heated or cooled. Last thing you want is to land and discover all your clothes are soaked.

If you are that stringent, bottled drinking water would be fine while on vacation. As long as the water is drinkable, you can use it in your humidifier for the short time you are away from home. The hotel concierge can also help you locate distilled water.

Edited to add: you can take water/liquids onto the plane, just not through security. I always get a bottle of water and take it onboard with me. Sometimes I will take a Coca Cola for the caffeine. I will also take a Lunchables if the flight will be long. I get one without the drink or I cut the drink out of the packaging. I freeze it the night before and/or keep in a cooler on the ride to the airport. It almost always is still cold by the time I eat.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2013, 05:24 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: you can take water/liquids onto the plane, just not through security.

Hence my suspicion that it is another way for airports to gouge you....

I almost always carry a bottle or two of wine, balsamico and/or olive oil with me in my checked baggage when I travel (as well as shampoo, etc) and always triple wrap it in plastic bags and place them in a location in the bag where they are well supported and protected from banging and compression (luckily, I have that type of suitcase). With one exception ( a burst shampoo bottle, due to my not putting it where it should have been and not making sure the lid was correctly closed) all have arrived safely.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup. Had the shampoo mess once. But the worst was when I was taking a six pack of Mellow Yellow (Coke's version of Mtn Dew) to my brother. Luckily, they have washers in New Jersey.

There's several companies that sell containers for wine bottles for the luggage. I suppose you could use one of those to hold a container of distilled water.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Airplane mode E.W. 3 1,446 10-07-2021, 09:35 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Looking for feedback on experiences with travel batteries (Airplane approved, BIX,??) Mike97 0 590 09-02-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Mike97
  Modem connection lost on ResMed Airsense 10 auto. Not in airplane mode. ljenkins46 4 1,635 09-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  AirSense10 auto keeps sending data, even though it’s in Airplane Mode OperaSinger 14 4,980 08-09-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: yrnkrn
  CPAP Machines On Airplane AC Power SJH1956 2 1,713 09-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Last Post: silentsnore
  Resmed Airsense 10 Airplane Mode nag screen and low-power mode Fats Drywaller 11 4,824 05-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
  [Equipment] Poll: How many turn airplane mode ON after compliance? SarcasticDave94 36 5,918 03-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.