Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airplane with CPAP - is it fragile?
Airplane with CPAP - is it fragile?
I am delighted to learn that a CPAP is a carry-on and doesn't get counted against us. Awesome!

So I flew recently, and the entire time, I was worried about the CPAP bag getting bumped or squished. Mainly I was worried that the hose might get compromised. 

I was careful where I put it, not to bump it into things, where it got placed in the car, etc.  It stressed me out. 

1) How strong is this stuff?  Will the hose be destroyed if it gets squished?

2) The PR transport bag I received with my CPAP sure doesn't seem to protect it. Are there any better travel bags for it out there?

3) What precautions do you take with it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airplane with CPAP - is it fragile?
The carry case for the resmed is professionally put together padded case that holds everything tightly and even has a strap to slip over the pull-handle on your luggage. The respironics is a poorly fitted cloth rectangle without padding...I feel your pain. When will that company get it together? Check it out

[Image: 345CB369-618D-406E-8CA8-467253896F18.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Idea 
Oh, dang!  Wow. Yeah, that looks far better. Would you mind showing me the inside (how you have it packed up)?  Buuuuut... please don't bother unless you are actually packing it up. I wouldn't want to do that to ya. 

Hrm. That makes me wonder if I could find the ResMed bag on amazon, and use it with my DreamStation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics gives a cheap carry case for their machine, but if you search for "Dreamstation Travel Case" OR Respironics CPAP Travel Case you will see hard case and soft case options that are fitted and durable for between $89 and $150. I like the less expensive Respironics CPAP travel case since it has room for the blower and humidifier, and would have plenty of room for phone chargers and other stuff you want to have handy. The hard case looks like CPAP only.

[Image: 51JkRNYu-iL.jpg]

[Image: respironics-cpap-travel-briefcase-open.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a stock image of the inside of the Resmed Aircurve 10 case.  Blower on the left, humidifier on the right, hose and mask near the handle, and power near the bottom.

[Image: cpap001.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Great pics!!!! Thank you.

So, essentially, *anything else* is better than what my DreamStation came with! Haha.

Ok, I'm inspired to google for more options.
Post Reply Post Reply
I knocked around Spain for a month on trains, buses, planes, taxis etc. and was not at all careful with my machine (a Resmed at that time).  Damage: zero.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have adapted my old Travel Case with Shoulder Strap for M-Series for my new Dreamstation, it is small, useful for storing travel documents, etc.

It does not look like you're carrying a CPAP. Without a doubt is the best option compared to the bag of dreamstation, huge, soft, etc., Respironics in bags is very disappointing

[Image: mseries-remstar-cpap-parts-carrying-case-1055177.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
The Respironics CPAP travel case (soft) that Sleeprider pictured above has a detachable zip-on laptop bag that makes it one bag for both devices (and cell phone chargers and plug adapters) and sells for $89 from most suppliers. It is PR part #1114784.

My PAP has flown to many places including Liberia, Cairo (landing the day the demonstrations started that overthrew Morsi), and Texas. They are pretty rugged. Still. wouldn't want to put it in checked baggage. As far as the hose - don't know about you, but it withstands a sharp elbow rolling over on it better then the elbow does. Only drawback was the TSA folks were owing and awing over it and wanted to know where I had gotten such a cool bag.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the regular Respironics case sufficient for travelling by car at least, as I have control over how much it gets bumped around and where it's placed. However, I made a huge mistake on my last getaway and decided to leave the humidifier at home to reduce the weight of what I'm schlepping around. We were given a freezing cold room in the basement with apologies and a pile of blankets. The blankets worked for the temperature in the bed but using the CPAP was almost impossible. It blasted such freezing cold air into my face that I had to keep taking off my mask and warm my face under the blanket. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. That humidifier is always going to come with me from now on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Airplane mode E.W. 3 1,478 10-07-2021, 09:35 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Looking for feedback on experiences with travel batteries (Airplane approved, BIX,??) Mike97 0 602 09-02-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Mike97
  Modem connection lost on ResMed Airsense 10 auto. Not in airplane mode. ljenkins46 4 1,661 09-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  AirSense10 auto keeps sending data, even though it’s in Airplane Mode OperaSinger 14 5,012 08-09-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: yrnkrn
  CPAP Machines On Airplane AC Power SJH1956 2 1,742 09-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Last Post: silentsnore
  Resmed Airsense 10 Airplane Mode nag screen and low-power mode Fats Drywaller 11 4,882 05-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
  [Equipment] Poll: How many turn airplane mode ON after compliance? SarcasticDave94 36 5,987 03-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.