Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airplane with CPAP - is it fragile?
RE: Airplane with CPAP - is it fragile?
I also have the Dreamstation and it's factory bag. I do not have a humidifier. Because the bag is sized to hold the dehumidifier, the whole CPAP slides around inside. I have some large bubble wrap that I use as extra stuffing. What I really need to do is look into a different transportation option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2017, 05:49 PM)Russatrice Wrote: I found the regular Respironics case sufficient for travelling by car at least, as I have control over how much it gets bumped around and where it's placed. However, I made a huge mistake on my last getaway and decided to leave the humidifier at home to reduce the weight of what I'm schlepping around. We were given a freezing cold room in the basement with apologies and a pile of blankets. The blankets worked for the temperature in the bed but using the CPAP was almost impossible. It blasted such freezing cold air into my face that I had to keep taking off my mask and warm my face under the blanket. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. That humidifier is always going to come with me from now on.

I am traveling to the UK in a few weeks time. I bought a backpack that has wheels for the simple reason that it has a solid base. I intend to put the machine part of my PRS1 auto 60 into the bottom because I am going to use it in flight (joys of business class). The width of the back pack is ideal for this and the solid base will make sure the machine won't get damaged. I'm going to put my humidifier into my checked luggage which is a hard shell case. With nasal decongestants  I'll survive having no humidifier for one night. Not sure that I'll sleep that well on a plane anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't forget, you can get an HME to use on the flights, will be better than nothing in that dry environment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2017, 11:02 PM)bill-e Wrote: Don't forget, you can get an HME to use on the flights, will be better than nothing in that dry environment.

Thank you that's a great idea. I'll have to check if any of the CPAP stores here on the Gold Coast stock them. I'm off on the 31st.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Resmed carrying case, like the one Sleeprider posted in note #5.  It's been back and forth to Europe, and many other local trips.  Never had a problem with it and I think it's very well constructed.  I'd never consider checking it as baggage, and, as has been mentioned, is allowed as a carry-on bag.  TSA had me remove the actual unit as it passed through the X-ray machine, but that was no big deal.  With the diagrams on the inside, it'd be pretty difficult to put the various parts in the wrong sections, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Respironics M and a Phillips System One. I can't speak for any other devices, but both of these are durable. They've each survived falling off the nightstand. In fact, the System One fell off a couple of times in the past couple of months.

With that said, I sometimes travel with the device and gear in my regular luggage if it's not out of my sight, like in a car trunk or bus luggage compartment. Otherwise, I use the house OEM softsides and carry on. The main thing, it not let it go out of your control where it can get lost, such as in checked baggage on airline or cruise ship. When I travel without the humidifier, the devices are fairly compact. The full face Ultra Mirage takes up a bunch of space.

PS... I just print a tag from an image online. I cut it out, tape it to a piece of thin piece of cardboard. Attach it to luggage with cable tie.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ordered an HME from a local Aussie supplier. $25 including postage. It's on its way.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a roll-on oversized laptop case that I got from AAA several years ago when we booked our Disney stuff through them. It holds my unit, surge protected, and power supply plus everything else CPAP. I wrap my unit it a towel for added protection. We also carry the charger for my wife's spinal chord stimulator as well as both of our meds. Every rides nice and safe.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Airplane mode E.W. 3 1,478 10-07-2021, 09:35 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Looking for feedback on experiences with travel batteries (Airplane approved, BIX,??) Mike97 0 602 09-02-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Mike97
  Modem connection lost on ResMed Airsense 10 auto. Not in airplane mode. ljenkins46 4 1,660 09-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  AirSense10 auto keeps sending data, even though it’s in Airplane Mode OperaSinger 14 5,012 08-09-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: yrnkrn
  CPAP Machines On Airplane AC Power SJH1956 2 1,742 09-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Last Post: silentsnore
  Resmed Airsense 10 Airplane Mode nag screen and low-power mode Fats Drywaller 11 4,867 05-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
  [Equipment] Poll: How many turn airplane mode ON after compliance? SarcasticDave94 36 5,986 03-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.