Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is the DME lying?
RE: Is the DME lying?
(06-03-2015, 09:39 PM)scoobiedu Wrote:
(06-03-2015, 09:34 PM)sleepybeaver Wrote: I was told by my DME that they are no longer making the S9...because I was going to change from the A10 to the S9...I wounder if that was B.S. I'm dealing with Apria....and they are a nightmare.

What didn't you like about the A10?

First I had problems with the pressure not dropping back down after clearing events...then the humitiy problems too dry or too wet....then I thought it was too loud...the darth vader sound with breathing. So they told me they would switch it to the s9 autoset...then they told me they can't get one because resmed no longer makes them...so they switched the a10 autoset with another new one thinking that the first one was defective. . .they did get me the climate line....so I will be trying it out tonight for the first time.
It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2015, 03:31 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Resmed AirSense machines that are "bricks" are the Escape CPAP and Escape Auto. The Autoset is great, and $550 is an amazing price for the machine and masks. I don't know how it can be sold for that.

The Escape and Escape Auto are ResMed S9 machines, not AirSense 10 models.

The base AirSense 10 "CPAP" model has less data than the AirSense 10 "Elite" model. I consider the A10 Elite to be the lowest acceptable model.

The A10 "CPAP" model is not quite a brick. It does record nightly AHI averages and some other info, but the A10 Elite is much better. The S9 Escape Auto also records limited data.

The A10 "CPAP" is a confusing name. It's labeled "AirSense 10 CPAP." The others are labeled AirSense 10 Elite, AutoSet or AutoSet for Her.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just in regard to DME's in general, I did feel like they helped me when I first got started. The RT who set me up let me know that there were software options for people who are interested in tracking their own therapy. When I needed a pressure change as I was started at an uncomfortable range of 5-20, another RT connected to the DME talked to me about my settings and helped get the doctor to change my range to 8-20 (although he pushed for a fixed setting before we arrived at that range).

In regards to equipment -- the DME pretty much made the initial decisions for me. I'm just fortunate they were good ones, as I did get a fully data capable APAP, and even after trying a few others, I'm most comfortable with the Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow mask (although I still play with a P10 at times—wish I could combine my favorite features of the two).

My biggest complaint is how they have handled supplies. No offers to update supplies at all during the first 90 days. I ended up going to online sources for what I needed during that time—knowing with my deductible, the payment would come out of my pocket anyway. When the DME did call about supplies (and when they started, the calls/messages were relentlessly frequent), they wanted to "send me everything I would need" without options. Even the so called 'online ordering' options were by category rather than allowing me to make my own selections—which I guess would be great for someone who would be overwhelmed by all the choices, but I'm not that person. They also didn't give me a receipt or any cost information—as I guess that waits until after they send it through insurance. I'm very curious what I will end up paying for the few things I ordered as I want to do a comparison to my online sources.

Ultimately, I feel the whole process (in the US anyway) is WAY to directed by insurance company process and not patient focused processes. And considering in my opinion insurance companies are more financial companies than health care facilitators, I find the whole flawed system very disturbing.

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2015, 08:43 AM)ClarkK Wrote: Just in regard to DME's in general, I did feel like they helped me when I first got started. The RT who set me up let me know that there were software options for people who are interested in tracking their own therapy. When I needed a pressure change as I was started at an uncomfortable range of 5-20, another RT connected to the DME talked to me about my settings and helped get the doctor to change my range to 8-20 (although he pushed for a fixed setting before we arrived at that range).

In regards to equipment -- the DME pretty much made the initial decisions for me. I'm just fortunate they were good ones, as I did get a fully data capable APAP, and even after trying a few others, I'm most comfortable with the Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow mask (although I still play with a P10 at times—wish I could combine my favorite features of the two).

My biggest complaint is how they have handled supplies. No offers to update supplies at all during the first 90 days. I ended up going to online sources for what I needed during that time—knowing with my deductible, the payment would come out of my pocket anyway. When the DME did call about supplies (and when they started, the calls/messages were relentlessly frequent), they wanted to "send me everything I would need" without options. Even the so called 'online ordering' options were by category rather than allowing me to make my own selections—which I guess would be great for someone who would be overwhelmed by all the choices, but I'm not that person. They also didn't give me a receipt or any cost information—as I guess that waits until after they send it through insurance. I'm very curious what I will end up paying for the few things I ordered as I want to do a comparison to my online sources.

Ultimately, I feel the whole process (in the US anyway) is WAY to directed by insurance company process and not patient focused processes. And considering in my opinion insurance companies are more financial companies than health care facilitators, I find the whole flawed system very disturbing.

I'm glad you had a good experience with your DME, it's too bad they dropped the ball with your supplies. It's great to see others taking charge of their own therapy. If we left it up to the DME and sometimes the doc, we would be missing out on so much. Thanks for sharing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sound in ear when lying on side SurreyHills1234 5 615 12-06-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: SurreyHills1234
  Why do I get sinus congestion while I'm lying down or asleep? CorruptAlligator 5 1,481 06-15-2022, 09:34 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
Question SPO2 drops to 89% when lying down.. tiredmonkey 27 7,242 09-18-2020, 09:57 PM
Last Post: oldntired
  SpO2 decreases when lying down - feeling of getting not enough air MyronH 4 1,250 05-18-2019, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Matt00926

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.