Airsense 10 CPAP vs...Elite or...?
vsheline Online

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

RE: Airsense 10 CPAP vs...Elite or...?
(04-01-2015 08:48 AM)archangle Wrote:  While there's no excuse for prescribing an AirSense 10 CPAP for anyone instead of an Elite, it DOES record nightly averages of AHI and some other info. I believe it will give an AHI and CAI nightly average

The Clinician Guide (set-up manual) for AirSense 10 series specifically lists which AirSense 10 models distinguish obstructive versus central apneas, and the list includes all models except the base "CPAP" model.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
04-03-2015 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Online

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(04-02-2015 07:37 AM)slumberdog Wrote:  Does anyone have any advice on the best way to approach this?

Hi slumberdog

I think most insurance companies in U.S. are like U.S. Medicare, which requires an overnight sleep lab "ASV Titration" which will verify that ASV therapy reduces your AHI to acceptable levels.

So, call up your medical insurance company and ask whether an ASV machine wi be covered based on the diagnosis made during your sleep study, or whether an ASV titration will be required by insurance company before coverage will be provided.

I strongly suggest returning the CPAP base model machine to the DME but not making an appointment to pick up a new machine until you know which model the DME will be charging you (and your insurance) for.

If you truly do have Complex Sleep Apnea, an ASV machine would be able to treat both the obstructve and the central Apneas and Hypopneas.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
04-03-2015 03:09 PM
slumberdog Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Nothing at present
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(04-03-2015 03:09 PM)vsheline Wrote:  ...I strongly suggest returning the CPAP base model machine to the DME...

All good advice.

I had 3 nights in the lab. I think returning the device to the DME should be the 1st priority. I was trying to orchestrate an exchange, but that may not work out. Returning it now would give me time to work it out without the deadline (since I'm out of pocket for the $500 deductible).

It's been about 3 weeks and I used the device for about 1 1/2 weeks. Is the DME required to refund me even though I used it (and before the situation is straightened out?)? Can they refuse?

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 06:55 PM by slumberdog.)
04-03-2015 06:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Online

Advisory Members

(04-03-2015 06:49 PM)slumberdog Wrote:  It's been about 3 weeks and I used the device for about 1 1/2 weeks. Is the DME required to refund me even though I used it (and before the situation is straightened out?)? Can they refuse?

Not sure. May depend on individual DME rules/policies and insurance company's rules/policies, and may depend on whether DME wants to turn you into a long term and satisfied customer.

But in any case, I suspect the less hours it has been used and the sooner it is returned, may make a difference.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 02:35 PM by vsheline.)
04-04-2015 02:31 PM
slumberdog Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Nothing at present
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
Thanks for the input. I'll be trying to deal with it this week.
04-05-2015 07:39 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
tedburnsIII Offline

Members

Machine: 3B RESmart APAP
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp nasal; ResMed FX nasal
Humidifier: came with unit-I vary it, currently set at '3', '5' is max
CPAP Pressure: 10 cm CPAP
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: Dx moderately severe OSA. Overnight pulse oximeter-CMS50D Plus

Point of inquiry- Is ASV generally considered a sub-type of bi-level (BPAP) machine or is it an entirely separate creature?

If the former, fair to assume that it's a more refined version of BPAP?
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2015 03:54 PM by tedburnsIII.)
07-11-2015 03:49 PM
vsheline Online

Advisory Members

(07-11-2015 03:49 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote:  Point of inquiry- Is ASV generally considered a sub-type of bi-level (BPAP) machine or is it an entirely separate creature?

Hi Ted,

Bilevels come in two main types, those without a backup respiration rate and those with a backup rate.

Not more refined. Just with an additional feature.

07-12-2015 02:13 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
tedburnsIII Offline

Members

(07-12-2015 02:13 AM)vsheline Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 03:49 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote:  Point of inquiry- Is ASV generally considered a sub-type of bi-level (BPAP) machine or is it an entirely separate creature?

Hi Ted,

Bilevels come in two main types, those without a backup respiration rate and those with a backup rate.

Not more refined. Just with an additional feature.

vsheline-

So, ASV is considered to be a bi-level machine and can be distinguished as you stated.

Would it be accurate to then state that a bi-level machine that has a so-called 'backup respiration' feature is necessarily ASV-classified?
The 'v' in ASV is the ventilator part that breathes for you when necessary? Is it similar to being in the hospital on a ventilator?
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2015 11:36 AM by tedburnsIII.)
07-12-2015 11:30 AM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Ted, ASV stands for "Adaptive Servo Ventilator". It is built onto an auto or standard BPAP. The machine is programs for EPAP and pressure support, or EPAP/IPAP just like other bilevels, however when it detects a cessation of breathing, it can induce a breath by using a higher pressure than the IPAP, up to 25 cm. For someone with an open airway that experiences a central apnea, this pressure rise is sufficient to cause a breath. The machine default is to allow patient to spontaneously breath, but when a breath does not occur in a given time, the machine will initiate it with a pressure rise.

The machines also deal with periodic breathing by monitoring flow on a breath by breath basis. The bilevels do this as well, but the ASV is able to increase IPAP to maintain volume. Auto bilevels can change EPAP and IPAP over time in response to events, while the ASV capability can do it on a breath by breath basis, otherwise it is essentially the same hardware but different software.

07-12-2015 12:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
tedburnsIII Offline

Members

vsheline-

Thank your for your most informative post, above! Do really appreciate your posts!

I do know that I tired holding my breath one or two times to see what my APAP would do. There may not have been an increase in inhalation pressure beyond the max set, but I almost felt as if machine were kind of 'breathing' for me. Also noticed on a couple of occasions that machine would supply inhalation pressure BEFORE I was ready for it- IOW, I felt the need to inhale at a given interval otherwise the machine would provide inhalation pressure anyway.

Comments?
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2015 03:20 PM by tedburnsIII.)
07-12-2015 03:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question ResMed AirSense 10 Badjo17 26 2,561 12-04-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: Arnie51
  [Pressure] new airsense 10 new at this abrun7 7 526 11-19-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Been about a week with the AirSense 10 for Her Beej 4 407 11-11-2016 09:30 PM
Last Post: Beej
  1st night on new Airsense 10 for her Beej 7 491 11-02-2016 06:08 PM
Last Post: Beej
  [Equipment] Water tub maintenance for ResMed S9 Elite Maggie 9 379 10-30-2016 01:53 PM
Last Post: Maggie
  Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP data versus Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset data David P. 4 555 10-29-2016 08:42 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 enquiry weeble 6 488 09-29-2016 04:44 PM
Last Post: weeble