Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 10 Elite humming all night - going crazy!
Angry 
Airsense 10 Elite humming all night - going crazy!
I started CPAP therapy in November 2016, and got my own machine in December 2016. It looked to be the same model as the one I had been using during my CPAP trial, a ResMed Airsense 10 Elite. I used it for a couple days with no issue, and then IT started.

Now the Airsense 10 Elite makes a Darth Vader noise on inhale that doesn't bother me. What is bothering me is the humming I can now hear from the unit. It hums on inhale loudy, and softly on exhale. I'm currently using a Climate line hose and a Swift FX nasal mask.

I've tried cleaning the tubing, switching to regular tubing, changing to a nasal pillow, putting the machine on a towel to prevent vibrations, moving the electrical cable away from the table, and juggling the humidifier to see if it will stop. It doesn't.

I do notice that the humming seems to be gone in the morning. Turning ramp off, or the pressure relief off make no difference. I also seem to get a woosh of air in the mask on inhale which is quite loud. No mask leaks to speak of, and my tubing isn't leaky either.

Has anyone else experienced this humming sound with this machine? My loaner was nearly silent (minus the Darth Vader breathing, which actually helps me sleep), but it also didn't say "Elite" on the front so I don't know if it was exactly the same.

I'm trying my best to stay compliant, but the length of time it takes me to fall asleep now is wearing on me. I've torn the mask off my face a couple of times in tears because of this damn "wrrrrrrrrr" sound.

Thoughts? I'm going mental here.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 10 Elite humming all night - going crazy!
This is a warranty issue. If you purchased your machine from an authorized reseller, then they should assist you in obtaining repair or replacement. Others have had this problem, and it has been diagnosed as the pneumatic block (blower).

Here is an example of noise determined to be the pneumatic block: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naaezJEujSU

There are other causes for noise, such as misaligned seals in the humidifier. These are easier to fix. The problem with noises, is you kind of have to hear them to make a guess as to their source.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is the exact noise, just a bit louder than mine. I'll call my supplier today.

Thank you SO much!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had one machine replaced after being found to be faulty (noisy pump). My second machine was even worse, its now found to have been faulty also. A whole batch of machines were found to have problems and I got two of them. People on here were trying to tell me the noise was normal which was BS. The hire/rental machines I have used were as quiet as anything, the ones I bought sounded like jumbo jets by comparison. Any, lets see how number 3 goes,
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 05:30 AM)nanbar Wrote: I have had one machine replaced after being found to be faulty (noisy pump). My second machine was even worse, its now found to have been faulty also. A whole batch of machines were found to have problems and I got two of them. People on here were trying to tell me the noise was normal which was BS. The hire/rental machines I have used were as quiet as anything, the ones I bought sounded like jumbo jets by comparison. Any, lets see how number 3 goes,

Oh man. I hope this third one is quiet! That's a terrible experience Sad

Mine's getting sent for repairs or replacement on Feb 07, here's hoping I get a quiet one back.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Resmed Airsense 10 Auto currently in for repairs for the same issue. I had it replaced under warranty just on 12 months ago as it was noisy, and the replacement machine was also had the same issue. It was repaired and has been quiet until about six weeks ago. My take is that Resmed do have quality issues, but to be fair I have had good service from them. However as they promote themselves as market leaders they should be on top of the issues. Lucky for me the Australian headquarters is not far away from where I live, so I can annoy the hell out of them if I want to. Smile

James
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 01:25 PM)Cro0ked Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 05:30 AM)nanbar Wrote: I have had one machine replaced after being found to be faulty (noisy pump). My second machine was even worse, its now found to have been faulty also. A whole batch of machines were found to have problems and I got two of them. People on here were trying to tell me the noise was normal which was BS. The hire/rental machines I have used were as quiet as anything, the ones I bought sounded like jumbo jets by comparison. Any, lets see how number 3 goes,

Oh man. I hope this third one is quiet! That's a terrible experience Sad

Mine's getting sent for repairs or replacement on Feb 07, here's hoping I get a quiet one back.

My third Airsense Elite fixed pressure machine is just as noisy as the previous two that were confirmed to be faulty. In fact, I asked my provider to rent me an Autoset machine and I have been comparing it side by side to my Elite in the quiet of the night in my bedroom all week and I can categorically say, the Elite is much noisier than the Autoset. I have been told they should operate the same but the Elites and Autosets that I have had to date do not. The side by side comparison was damning, I showed the rest of the family and it was obvious to them also. Anyway, waiting to hear back from ResMed now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am picking up my repaired Airsense 10 Auto on Monday. Resmed have advised that although no fault was found the motor was replaced as  a precaution, so I can't complain about that. As an aside the loan machine I have been using for the last two weeks is very quiet and my nightly average AHI has been slightly lower. Just a little though. I am convinced that the Resmed loan machines are a special build and the consumer versions are just massed produced. I got an extended five year warranty when I purchased mine, as part of a package deal, so if I have further problems I will be giving them a little grief. All in good fun  Wink 

James
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep the loaner, give back the repaired unit. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I remember something I read quite some time ago on this forum, all ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP machines are exactly the same from the CPAP model, Elite and Auto, it is just the software version that makes it function differently.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 99 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 449 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Mask driving me crazy phoebesalva 8 513 01-08-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.