Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 10 Leaks
Airsense 10 Leaks
I am experiencing water leaks in my Resmed AirSense !0. The reservoirs (tried 2 different ones) have been leak checked by filling and letting them set on a countertop for a couple of days where they remained dry. Further, the CPAP is set on an upside down plastic waste basket that is set between the bed side rail and a bedside table. To be more sure that the machine is not getting bounced around and spilling, the base is zip tied to the bed rail and the machine is secured to the base with zip ties. 

The CPAP now can not move and it still leaks. So much for spilling. Is it possible that the reservoir could only leak when the machine is on with the heater operating? Anyone have any ideas on the leaks. It looks like the water is isolated to the reservoir part of the machine.

Thanks
Z
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 10 Leaks
Boy! That’s strange. Could there be condensation on the outside the reservoir. Might try turning the setting down or off.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Only thing that comes to mind is the machine isn't laying perfectly upright and flat on the surface your placing it. If it tilts at all it's going to leak out of the water tub.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Second thought. Condensation on the inside running down the side and leaking past seal between the top piece and bottom.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
There are puddles underneath the machine that fill up the to lip of the upside down waste basket. There was so much water that it got into the electrical jack connector and the machine would not power up. I thought the machine was ruined and then managed to fix it with electrical contact cleaner. It looks like 1/4 to 1/2 the contents of the reservoir spilled and the reservoir was less than the full line.

So weird. It has to be the reservoir leaking when heated. Up till now I thought that reservoir replacement was was for cleanliness and mineral build up. Perhaps the white vinegar used for cleaning messed up the sealant in the chamber? I'm going to get a new reservoir.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doubtful it's condensation. The machine has a heated tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2018, 07:05 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Only thing that comes to mind is the machine isn't laying perfectly upright and flat on the surface your placing it. If it tilts at all it's going to leak out of the water tub.

This is what I am thinking too. There is something about your setup that mabye the machine is not sitting as level as you think.

I read your prior thread in 2016. You had the “exact” same problem with a DreamStation.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DreamStation was brand new and a brand new model. It leaked and was returned. Fond memories - bad design.

This AirSense 10 has worked flawlessly for two years with the exception of the first one that made a loud groaning sound when new. It is level and it absolutely can not move a mm.

Attached is a photo. Level and can not move. Well, I tried.....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
A new reservoir should fix the problem. It might be worthwhile to fill the reservoir to the fill-line and observe the machine while on for a couple hours and see if you can find the source of the leak. Remember during use the system is pressurized, so to simulate that, you can't run an open leak circuit. There is a seal around the heating plate where it meets the plastic container, and that is about the only place a leak could develop. I suspect it only happens with the container pressurized.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very good point and explains the leaking only while using. The water surface area of the reservoir acts as diaphragm and could effectively multiply the pressure in the chamber towards the leak. Kind of like a brake booster in an older car. I'll get a new one today. Good thinking. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 90 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 446 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 366 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 146 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 561 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 914 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 380 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.