Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 10 NEW with 360 Run Hours
Airsense 10 NEW with 360 Run Hours
Ok, so I knew I was supposed to check run hours when I picked up my first CPAP (ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her) from the DME.  But...

I had a static pressure prescription (the doctor refused to write the prescription for a specific model), so I was nervously trusting the DME to dispense an APAP instead of a CPAP.  I called ahead to get this straight and had to beg them to get a ResMed instead of a Respironics.  Once they agreed to a ResMed Autoset, I requested the For Her model, but they balked.  So when I arrived, and they appeared to start unpacking a new Airsense 10 Autoset for Her, I was relieved and excited.

The rest of the appointment was difficult and edging on confrontational.  There was suddenly an upcharge to get an F20 AirTouch instead of F20 AirFit, even though I was specifically prescribed the F20 AirTouch.  They refused to provide the sdcard (should have seen this obvious red flag).  The resupply schedule didn't match the prescription or medicare schedule - 6 months for a mask, 1 year humidifier tank, etc.  They wouldn't let me try or consider the F30 without a prescription, etc.  They also made me sign a commitment that I would not change the prescribed settings on the machine.  So things were so touchy, when I got to the "check run hours" on my checklist, I decided not to reveal I knew how to get into the clinical menu, but when I got home, it was palm to the face (they got me!).

SO... how bad is it to have 360 hours on the unit?
My fear is if I bring this to their attention, they will just repossess it and give me a brick.
Overall, I got what I needed, but reading other posts, I see people upset receiving a unit with 100 hours, one post even said anything more than 5 hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 10 NEW with 360 Run Hours
(03-05-2019, 08:29 PM)snord Wrote: Ok, so I knew I was supposed to check run hours when I picked up my first CPAP (ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her) from the DME.  But...

I had a static pressure prescription (the doctor refused to write the prescription for a specific model), so I was nervously trusting the DME to dispense an APAP instead of a CPAP.  I called ahead to get this straight and had to beg them to get a ResMed instead of a Respironics.  Once they agreed to a ResMed Autoset, I requested the For Her model, but they balked.  So when I arrived, and they appeared to start unpacking a new Airsense 10 Autoset for Her, I was relieved and excited.

The rest of the appointment was difficult and edging on confrontational.  There was suddenly an upcharge to get an F20 AirTouch instead of F20 AirFit, even though I was specifically prescribed the F20 AirTouch.  They refused to provide the sdcard (should have seen this obvious red flag).  The resupply schedule didn't match the prescription or medicare schedule - 6 months for a mask, 1 year humidifier tank, etc.  They wouldn't let me try or consider the F30 without a prescription, etc.  They also made me sign a commitment that I would not change the prescribed settings on the machine.  So things were so touchy, when I got to the "check run hours" on my checklist, I decided not to reveal I knew how to get into the clinical menu, but when I got home, it was palm to the face (they got me!).

SO... how bad is it to have 360 hours on the unit?
My fear is if I bring this to their attention, they will just repossess it and give me a brick.
Overall, I got what I needed, but reading other posts, I see people upset receiving a unit with 100 hours, one post even said anything more than 5 hours. 

Wow, I don't know how they get away with that!  It seems they're breaking some rules, but I don't know that for sure...

360 hours seems like about a month and a half of use...?  I would think that there is a rule that they need to disclose to you "exactly" what you are getting, including hours used if it's a "used machine".  If you're plan provides that  you're supposed to get a "used machine", then I wouldn't think 360 hours would be that bad.  Out or curiosity, did you have to pay anything for this machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I didn't pay anything out of pocket (Medicaid).  I am grateful to get any equipment and excited to get started, as this has been an ordeal of waiting since October 2018.  But Medicaid follows Medicare guidelines.  I found one post where a person was told a unit under 500 hours was considered "new."  I have scoured the medicare legal code trying to find anything specific, but no luck on what the rules are.  I was told point blank that this was a new machine.

I am leaning towards just keeping it because I am fearful of harming my relationship with the DME.
This was the best of the few medicaid choices in my area.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I went to pick up my CPAP unit, I was given the impression that it was new and I didn't know any different. It all looked new to me and I had no reason to think otherwise. 

Once I became a member of this site, the topic came up and I checked my machine for run hours. It had a total of 54 hrs. on it, and that was after me only using it for two or three nights.

Since having become a CPAP user, I've learned a lot from this site and it's members. I'm not due a new machine for 4.5 yrs. or so. By that time, I'll have become a very enlightened user and will know what to look for and what to ask. 

I was very fortunate that my sleep doc prescribed a ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10 unit for me and all the good equipment that came with it. I had no idea that I could pick and choose which machine I wanted. I was clueless. I'm not any more! 

I'm now telling my DME supplier what I need or don't need. I don't want them sending me supplies / equipment that I simply don't need.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2019, 08:54 PM)snord Wrote: No, I didn't pay anything out of pocket (Medicaid).  I am grateful to get any equipment and excited to get started, as this has been an ordeal of waiting since October 2018.  But Medicaid follows Medicare guidelines.  I found one post where a person was told a unit under 500 hours was considered "new."  I have scoured the medicare legal code trying to find anything specific, but no luck on what the rules are.  I was told point blank that this was a new machine.

I am leaning towards just keeping it because I am fearful of harming my relationship with the DME.

On a positive note, you have perhaps the best machine one could have!  As I said earlier, a month and a half usage is probably not that big of a deal.  -  It just sounds fishy when the DME hides things from you and doesn't fully disclose the true nature/condition of what you are receiving.   Maybe that's how they roll there...? Btw, if you are going to buy a new SD card anyway, you might consider getting an SD WiFi card so that you can transfer the data from your machine to your computer remotely without actually removing the card.  It costs a little more for the wifi SD card, but it's a nice convenience.  Best of luck with your equipment and your treatment!
Post Reply Post Reply
You are absolutely right.  I am very excited I received the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her.  I was just having second thoughts, fearing the extra hours might be unacceptable wear and tear, but I think its more the slight of hand that people were warning of.  And there was plenty of that.

And thanks for recommending the FlashAir, I did set that up (but I'll have to buy a cheap sdcard unless I want to hand in the FlashAir at the next doctor appointment).

I took a nap as a test run, and FlashPAP'ed the data and fired up Sleepyhead - works great!

I have to say... experiencing CPAP for the 2nd time (after the sleep study) is just amazing.  As you fall asleep, there's this point where you can just let go of your breathing and watch your body breathe on its own - rhythmically, deeply (I tend to stop breathing even during the daytime).  It's like you're floating above your body.  Its a relaxation I can't ever remember feeling before.
Post Reply Post Reply
well for one you wont have any plastic smell!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be happy to have a for her with that number of hours rather than a brick, hopefully your first night goes well let us know
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2019, 09:59 PM)snord Wrote: And thanks for recommending the FlashAir, I did set that up (but I'll have to buy a cheap sdcard unless I want to hand in the FlashAir at the next doctor appointment

I keep a sd card in the card reader on my computer dedicated to my sleep data. I import the data from the WiFi card to the sd card and then import the data into SleepyHead from the sd card in the computer. This gives me a card to take to my doctor or DME without ever having to remove the WiFi card from the cpap machine. You probably won’t have to take your card in for your compliance visits because your doctor and DME most likely already have access to it via ResMed, using the modem in your cpap machine.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2019, 08:54 PM)snord Wrote: No, I didn't pay anything out of pocket (Medicaid).  I am grateful to get any equipment and excited to get started, as this has been an ordeal of waiting since October 2018.  But Medicaid follows Medicare guidelines.  I found one post where a person was told a unit under 500 hours was considered "new."  I have scoured the medicare legal code trying to find anything specific, but no luck on what the rules are.  I was told point blank that this was a new machine.

Medicaid does not follow medicare guidelines for resupply.

However I do believe that medicaid contracts with DME companies require "new" machines.   Not new/used.  Might try to contact your medicaid provider and tell them what you got and ask them what they think.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 249 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 470 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 277 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 492 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 439 01-20-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.