Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 10 Very High Pressure settings not changed
Airsense 10 Very High Pressure settings not changed
I'm have been using an airsense 10 for months and have not recently changed any settings. I have it set to start at 9.  5 days ago I went on a trip by car carried it in to the hotel room set it up. No issues it never got bumped or hit in any way. The 1st night was fine, but the 2nd night  and every night since is not. as soon as it comes on its Extremly high pressure where the mask is instantly trying to blow off my face, massive leakage and I can barely breath ( its still set to 9). I cant figure out what the issue is I keep telling myself it will fix itself and  throughout the night intermittently it will go back to normal for a brief time but then back to the high pressure. I double checked the settings and dont see anything that changed I changed masks for the heck of it, it has same results. I checked OSCAR it says last machine settings changed were months ago. Does anyone have any ideas of know of any machine failures like this? I'll attach a screenshot, I normally not have any leakage and you can see here there is a lot.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 10 Very High Pressure settings not changed
Can you post one with " Extremly high pressure"
Post Reply Post Reply
Thats the thing, that IS one with the high pressure, its not showing any difference than the way it use to be other than showing leaks ( I assume the grey background is leaks?) thats why I'm wondering if its a mechanical problem that oscar wouldnt pick up on thinging all is normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's see some closeups of your flow rate where you are having a problem. You do need to fix the leaks, most of which look like mouth breathing, this is likely part of the problem

I doubt VERY much that the problem is pressure. Most likely flow. With leaks the machine is designed to provide flow to compensate and maintain a 'constant' pressure. Take the mask off the hose and turn your machine on. Is that what you are sensing? You can put your hand over the end of the hose and easily stop the flow.

Read the Mask Primer, it talks about resolving leaks of all kinds.
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband had a similar problem with a 1 year old Airsense 10.  He does have a serious mouth leak problem but the observations were made when he was awake.  Pressure (or flow?) was so strong he could not keep his mouth closed.  Pressures were 12 low 20 high at the time.  He gets his equipment from the VA and the tech he talked to turned his pressure down to 16.  That didn't do any good.  In mid-day he struggled to keep his mouth closed and you could see the pressure by watching the movement of his chest.  They replaced the machine with a new Airsense 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
In fact, you're using the machine as a leaf blower: considering those massive leak the therapy blows out literally. You might as well sleep without mask. The machine doesn't fail: you do.

First thing is to get rid of the leakage. And a pressure of 10 is quite not a real pressure at all. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies, but I'm not explaining right, the pressure shown is NOT right, it shows the pressure as it has always been (9) but the force now is much much more. I have not had leaks ( other than a minor whisper here or there) for a long time ( months ago), and those leaks I had at that time were minor and brief. These leaks are because the ACTUAL pressure ( not the shown pressure ) is so high its blowing out all around the mask ( previous minor leaks were generally in 1 area or another). this starts immediately on startup, while I am still awake. It is not from mouth breathing, Its the same if I open my mouth for a while or close my mouth-again, while awake. I'll attach a screen shot from 1 week earlier, and All days ( weeks- months) before that all look the same for leaks.- very minor almost non existant. this happened suddenly and hasnt gone away. I dont know how to measure or explain how high the pressure actually is so I held my mask in the tips of my fingers in one hand, spread my arms out and can feel the air blowing without a problem on my other hand when my arms are spread. I am 6'4" tall and my understanding is a persons arm span is the same as their height, so if I have the pressure set to 9, should I be able to easily feel that 6 feet away?

** I just reread the replies and will try the thumb thing tonight when I return home, maybe I am confusing the term pressure with flow, but either way something has changed

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Believe it or not the "force" you are describing is flow from leaks, not pressure. This is a fairly common occurrence. It occurs with all brands with many users and would mean that a 5-10% failure of all machines and that is not the case. Use a manometer to check the machines pressure, you will find that it is accurate. You can either buy one or make one.
The OSCAR charts you have posted are telling me that your machine is running as expected.
Flat tops on the leak chart typically say mouth breathing. It could be your mask is old as well and is massively leaking. Mask leaks are typically intermittent and show as peaks in the leak chart.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leaks will cause excessive flow and noise. They can cause a reduction in pressure at the mask, not an increase.

I believe that the same sensor that provides pressure data for OSCAR is used to regulate the blower. If the sensor reports artificially low pressure, the blower speed increases until the sensor reports adequate pressure. If you machine is under warranty, you should report the problem. I think there is a thread on this forum that explains how you can measure the actual pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
If that's actually the case, that you can feel the full force from six feet away, I guess it's possible that the sensor is malfunctioning and reporting abnormally low results... I mean, I could feel some air movement from my mask (Resmed set at a steady pressure of 15 cmH2O) and my arm span is about a foot less than yours, but not a huge rush of air. But in most cases, something this is going to be some change in the fit of the mask, a sudden failure in the seal, stretch of the headgear etc. The only way to be sure is to measure the pressure externally and if it IS down to a sensor issue, then the only thing you can do is return your machine under warranty or get a new one...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,564 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 325 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.