Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 10 autopressure increase while awake
Airsense 10 autopressure increase while awake
I thank everyone on the board for sharing their thoughts and info it is very helpful. I have been a CPAP user now for 120 days. I was diagnosed in a sleep study overnight stay with moderate sleep apnea (20 per hour). I currently use the resmed airsense 10 with autoramp set to 15 and auto pressure. For the last 110 days all was fine, like everyone else just starting out, it takes alot of getting use to. I use pillows (resmed) and have recently tried a nose mask (resmed) but reverted back to pillows because I found that there was more leakage on the nose mask and i had a higher AHI and AI.

For the last two nights now while laying in bed but awake, I notice the machine increases pressure shortly after the ramp time is done. It increases to 14.8 and remains there until I shut the machine off. It does not come down. I have not seen this in the last 110 nights why now? Isn't the pressure suppose to fluctuate when on autopressure. Go up when you need it and down when you don't?? Is my machine defective??

The lab study showed a requirement of 10 but at a constant 10 my AHI and AI were still high around 12. When switching to auto my AHI and AI have both dropped to 7 and 5 with a central of about 5. Not sure I will ever be able to get lower than a 7.

In any event I thank those who read this and have an answer
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 10 autopressure increase while awake
Look at your data on your computer and see when the pressure rises and when it falls. Where it is 95% of time, and so forth.

It could be that as you lay in bed awake you are on your back and you doze off, causing your airway to partially collapse. This would make the pressure go up.

What are the pressure range (max and min) settings on your machine?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like your auto has gotten switched to straight cpap mode.
With all the modem this machine calls in that stuff it happens. Heck DME could have set your card up that way.
Its not likely any auto would go to a single specific pressure and remain there constantly, regardless of body position.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ckingzzzs,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, it could be that someone namely your DME or doctor could have made a pressure change or the machine could be defective. I would call your DME and ask them if they made any changes if not take it in to them and have them test it. I have the same machine and it doesn't go above the maximum set pressure, however if my air way is blocked it will rise to the max set pressure and stay there until the airway becomes open again. Get into the set up menu and check your settings. You can do this by pressing the control knob and the menu button on the front of the machine and holding both in until you see the set up menu. From there you can check the setting whether it is auto or strait cpap also min and max pressure. I hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2015, 08:40 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Look at your data on your computer and see when the pressure rises and when it falls. Where it is 95% of time, and so forth.

It could be that as you lay in bed awake you are on your back and you doze off, causing your airway to partially collapse. This would make the pressure go up.

What are the pressure range (max and min) settings on your machine?

Thanks sleepster, I check it all out. autopressure set at 5 to 20. I agree with you that it may be possible I dozed off and had a partial collapse but when I woke up the pressure was not coming down at all. I had to turn the machine off.
(09-05-2015, 03:03 PM)Adoniscmj Wrote: Well, it could be that someone namely your DME or doctor could have made a pressure change or the machine could be defective. I would call your DME and ask them if they made any changes if not take it in to them and have them test it. I have the same machine and it doesn't go above the maximum set pressure, however if my air way is blocked it will rise to the max set pressure and stay there until the airway becomes open again. Get into the set up menu and check your settings. You can do this by pressing the control knob and the menu button on the front of the machine and holding both in until you see the set up menu. From there you can check the setting whether it is auto or strait cpap also min and max pressure. I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, I check it all out. autopressure set at 5 to 20. I agree with you that it may be possible I dozed off and had a partial collapse but when I woke up the pressure was not coming down at all. I had to turn the machine off. My concern is the pressure NOT coming down upon my awakening.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2015, 07:31 PM)ckingzzzs Wrote: autopressure set at 5 to 20.

That's a wide range. Too wide for most people. If a pressure of 10 was recommended based on your sleep study I would change the range to something like 8-12 and study the data to see how well it's working.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2015, 05:05 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(09-06-2015, 07:31 PM)ckingzzzs Wrote: autopressure set at 5 to 20.

That's a wide range. Too wide for most people. If a pressure of 10 was recommended based on your sleep study I would change the range to something like 8-12 and study the data to see how well it's working.

thanks Sleepster I was actually thinking about doing that. I will monitor my numbers more closely for the last three weeks to find the low and high pressure ranges and maybe make that adjustment. Maybe that is why I can't seem to get an AHI of less than 7. I seem to be stalling at 7 with a central of 5. I was thinking of trying a full face mask to see if it would bring the AHI down. I know that with my FX nasal pillows, I have a zero leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ffm will likely push your ahi up not down if you run the same pressures.
I use a Simplus if the need arises or a fitlife total face.
Going from Eson or any other nasal mask to ffm guarantees a 3 ahi increase.
Same with my wife.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does it always go to 14.8, or is there some variation?

Post a copy of your SD card if you're willing.

Sometimes your breathing pattern while awake will fool the CPAP into treating you because wake breathing is different from sleep breathing. Things like sniffling your nose or clearing your throat may fool it. We also sometimes subconsciously hold our breath while thinking hard.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 86 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 620 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 154 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 674 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,270 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 433 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.