Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP wasn't working - Found solution
CPAP wasn't working - Found solution
So I was on CPAP for over two years and was still exhausted, my AHI was on average 0.5, I went to bed slept 8 hours every night and still woke up exhausted. I was convinced I still was sleeping right but the sleep doctors started to treat me like I was mad.

I decided to take the plunge recently and go for the Mandibular Advancement Device, it worked! I woke up the next day refreshed and every other day after that, I am happy now but I wonder why a mandibular device would work better than CPAP?

Anyone who has mild sleep apnoea like me and CPAP hasn't worked for them after a year I recommend it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP wasn't working - Found solution
Hi napnaptime,

Unfortunately, as you and many folks have found out, doctors think the key to great sleep is a wonderful AHI and stop investigating when patients continue to feel exhausted. I can't answer your question as to why you would feel better with a dental device but I am happy it is working for you.

As I am sure you are well aware, you do need to have a sleep study to make sure the results match your perception of how well the device is working.

Much continued success with it.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
My guess: your CPAP pressure was too low to keep your airway open.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the contraption in my mouth. It did not work for me. Raising the pressure has helped a lot. I am still looking for more improvement.

If it works for you that is good news. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I think I seriously need to try it. Can you old give me more info as to what it feels like and what kind you have? I'm getting desperate
Post Reply Post Reply
I had one of these devices a while back and found it painful and my mouth was always very very dry. I would wake after a couple of hours or less and have to remove it. After about 5 weeks I gave up. It cost me around $2000 as it was purpose made by my dentist. Now sits in my draw never Used...

Obviously different people get different results, levels of comfort. Maybe using one with a CPAP with a humidifier would help the dryness?

When I was diagnosed my doctor said I should CPAP or I could try a mouth device. I thought mouth device would be much easier, the thought of being on a CPAP with mask wasn't so nice....
Post Reply Post Reply
My first thought that was sleeping with a CPAP machine was horrible. Then I had a long discussion with a dentist on using a Mandibular Advancement Device. The problems caused by change in bite over time (100% in 11 years, IIRC), time to make adjustments, repeated sleep studies etc convinced me to try CPAP. I have never regretted it. Mandibular Advancement Devices are not a solution without problems. Make your choice carefully.
Post Reply Post Reply
For mild sleep apnea, perhaps. My research (and first hand experience) tells me that you get a reduction in AHI at best with that technology -- along with other potential issues. If it works for you, great for you. Those devices seem to help with snoring, and a little more. The serious stuff is solved by CPAP/BiPAP/etc.

Dentists, however, are absolutely excited about adding this to their solution mix. This represents the next big profit expansion, after teeth whitening.

For those with moderate or severe sleep apnea who are struggling with CPAP, I'd persist on making CPAP work rather than the allure of an evening dental insert.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nore cpap is working, again ? Jst617 5 189 03-31-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 148 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 187 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 473 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 228 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Study and no solution? CChelios445 3 293 03-03-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 225 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.