Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Minimal variation in pressure, DreamStation
RE: Minimal variation in pressure, DreamStation
SleepinAZ, thanks for identifying the EZ Start option in the graphs. I had forgotten about this Philips option and clearly the pressure would have gone higher without it.  Appreciate the reminder.   Thanks
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
First of all, a BIG THANKS to SleepinAZ for pointing out that the EZ Start option was contributing to the low variation in pressure. I made the suggested change and see that the DreamStation is now responding within the full range that I set. 

As follow up, I went to several local stores but I could not find a cervical collar over the weekend. I ordered one, and it is out for delivery now, so I should be able to use it tonight. I'm also going to raise the upper limit just a bit.

As for last night's results, it was a step forward for learning and a small step backward for AHI. I ended up on my back, so my number of events was higher. But as I mentioned, the pressure responded to the additional events. And I still feel pretty good, better than I have in a long time (prior to CPAP).

I'm really grateful for this forum and for being able to use the OSCAR software. It's right up my alley as far as digging in to the details and taking control of my own treatment. 

Post Reply Post Reply
I am still under 1 week with APAP so I am still getting used to the therapy. But still feeling better overall and hopeful. My plan for now is to make minimal tweaks to the settings, continue to learn and gather data, and to give my body some more time to adjust to treatment.

I got a Carex cervical collar 2 nights ago, and I'm not quite sure if it made much difference or not. I really think the greatest issue with position comes from me sleeping on my back. I'll continue to use the collar though because it isn't particularly bothersome. 

Last night, I woke up a couple of times with a feeling that I was gasping for air. I am pretty sure that it was because one side of my DreamWear mask was being compressed between my head and the pillow and restricting the flow. I woke up just before 5:00 with a bit of an adrenaline rush and had to calm myself for a bit before I could go back to sleep. I remember it happening one other time, which I think is captured in the attachment zoomed in around 7:00.

I'm going to try a newer, fluffier pillow tonight to see if that helps, if this continues, I'm will consider a different style mask. I like not having the hose on the front of my face, but if I can't breathe, it's a bad trade-off.

Thanks again for all of your thoughtful responses so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO, based on your 30 Mar chart, increase your min pressure to 10. If that works we can back off a bit.
Your only treatment for the RERAs and Flow Limits is to raise (min) pressure.

When it is time to replace your DreamStation get a ResMed. The ResMed AutoSet will have you at a lower pressure with the RERAs and Flow Limits much better managed.

I do suggest that you alter OSCAR to report RDI instead of AHI as that will paint a more accurate picture of your treatment. RDI = AHI + RERAs = 1.86 + 2.72 = 4.58
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a follow up. woke up feeling good again, and very encouraged for my 7th night on PAP

I made 2 changes: I raised the min to 9.0 and I modified the key setting from AHI to RDI per Gideon's suggestion. I will raise the min again tonight. I also switched to a softer pillow which I am pretty sure worked better with the DreamWear mask.

AHI was 0.16, which is quite an improvement from the 55 I got during my sleep study. Smile

Thanks again to all who have helped, through comments, software, articles, etc.!
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent progress and results! I'll be curious whether a higher minimum reduces RERAs further.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 661 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Pressure Variation with Time Heaviside 2 212 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,398 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,009 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 981 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Dreamstation 2 Constant Pressure Setup gonzalo 1 520 07-03-2023, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 667 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.