Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 10 increasing pressure while I'm awake
RE: Airsense 10 increasing pressure while I'm awake
Well, I think that I figured out it, thanks to the ResScan software and the Clinician's manual.

Apparently, the Airsense 10 looks for apneas, and will increase the pressure when it sees them.  But it also watches your breathing patterns.  It expects each breath to look like a nice bell curve, with the air intake starting out slow, increasing towards the middle, and decreasing at the end.  If it doesn't see that, it increases the air pressure in an effort to get you there.  While I'm awake, I don't breath in that bell curve.  According to the data, while I'm awake, it seems that I take in about the same amount of air at the beginning, in the middle, and at the end of each breath.  While I'm asleep, though, I do breath in that bell curve.  So, if I'm awake, the machine tends to max out the pressure, trying harder and harder to get me to breath in the bell curve.

The moral of the story is that if I want to try the machine out while I'm awake, I should dramatically lower the upper limit, or put it in CPAP mode rather than Auto mode and set the pressure setting at something I can tolerate.

Also, I'm enabling the ramp feature and setting it to auto, and keeping a tolerable upper limit, so that the machine will give me time to get to sleep before it starts monitoring my breathing and increasing the pressure, and it won't start to inflate me like a balloon regardless.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.  And if I've got this wrong, someone please let me know!  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine will react to flow limits in order to prevent them from becoming hypopneas or apneas. It does this by raising the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you say so. Thinking-about
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine will react to the flow limits by raising the pressure in an attempt to prevent the flow limits from becoming hypopneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started CPAP therapy and I've noticed that my machine (ResMed AirSense 10) also gradually increases to the max pressure setting of 10 while I am awake.  It's quite bothersome to me as I find it hard to exhale against the pressure when the pressure goes up above 7.  Did you ever learn of what causes this and how it can be avoided?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2019, 09:18 AM)lifeofajerk Wrote: I just started CPAP therapy and I've noticed that my machine (ResMed AirSense 10) also gradually increases to the max pressure setting of 10 while I am awake.  It's quite bothersome to me as I find it hard to exhale against the pressure when the pressure goes up above 7.  Did you ever learn of what causes this and how it can be avoided?

This should be it's Own thread so as not to confuse with the OP

That said,
Set your Min Pressure to 6 and EPR Full Time and EPR=2

That is a good starting pressure.

Please download OSCAR and organize your daily charts IAW the Organize link in my signature and finally post your results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 109 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 133 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  AHI increasing and centrals michaelyu15 0 82 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 194 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 312 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 930 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 755 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.