Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 10 [not the Elite]: Leave on Autoset?
RE: Airsense 10 [not the Elite]: Leave on Autoset?
Thanks to justMongo and Zonk!
Shall adjust settings to 10-18 range.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll need SleepyHead detailed data graphs, numbers does not tell what really going on
95 percentile leak or pressure numbers means ... at or below this number for 95% of the time, not at 95% of the time

ResMed machines does own calculation and report unintentional leak (mask and mouth leak), leak below 24 L/m considered acceptable
The machine gives smiley faces whenever 70th percentile leak is less than 24 L/min
This can be disruptive to my sleep but nevertheless, the machine is happy with these numbers, hence the smiley faces and MyAir good scores
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2015, 05:00 PM)jc1brady Wrote: Thanks to justMongo and Zonk!
Shall adjust settings to 10-18 range.
Sound good
I would also turn off EPR, see how it goes
You can also turn it back on, if you did not like it being off
Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk - what will turning off EPR do? [I assume that I can access that by going into the same Clinician's Settings that I did to adjust the minimum and maximum pressures.]
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you can turn off or change level setting from the clinical menu. Its very hard to say what turning off will do, but in my opinion, if one on variable pressure setting, pressure drop at exhale is not required as minimum pressure is already set lower than optimum pressure
For some can be good thing and provide some relief as they find breathing out against pressure troublesome
Its an option, I like to play with and see how works for me, everyone is different ... nothing ventured, nothing gained
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again, Zonk.
Post Reply Post Reply
hey jc1brady

I like the EPR function, mine is set to 2. That means the machine automatically drops the pressure two points when I exhale. When I turned EPR off I felt like I had to work to exhale when I set my starting pressure above 12. I tried setting it to 3 and it was uncomfortable like the machine was sucking the breath out of me. I think it is a personal comfort setting based on preference and you can feel free to set it however is most comfortable for you. It ranges from 0 to 3 cmh20. You might not even notice it. Feel free to play around with it and set it however suits you.

The other one you might play around with is Ramp function, which gradually increases the pressure to let you drift off to sleep. Most people who use the auto setting turn off the ramp since it is a bit redundant and I think it also delays the machine logging your sleep time for the duration of the ramp time.

Re: Sleepyhead versus MyAir...

.. MyAir seems designed to encourage you to keep going. It's the potty training tool for CPAP users. If you want some encouragement and sunshine go to MyAir. The biggest factor in MyAir score is how long you use the machine. It will send you nice notes every few weeks and tell you that you earned gold stars.

.. Sleepyhead swings the other way. If you want a critical review of your numbers look at Sleepyhead. Especially the little summary when you upload your data. It's the Dutch Uncle tool for CPAP users.

I use them both and I also like the summary charts in the ResMed ResScan tool which is similar to Sleepyhead without the opinions. ResScan is what the clinics use and some aspects of its user interface probably suffer because of that. It's all clinical and even makes you feel like you have to fill out a bunch of patient forms before you can use it (you don't have to fill out the forms).

Don't get me wrong, I love Sleepyhead. If I could only have one of these tools I would keep Sleepyhead. I'm simply drawing a slightly exaggerated (but not much) contrast among the tools. Smile

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2015, 04:27 PM)justMongo Wrote: I'm not an expert with SleepyHead.. that said, I think you are fine.
IIRC (If I Recall Correctly) SH is reporting the sum of the mask vent rate plus unintended leaks.
Even at 10 LPM unintended (mask) leakage, the machine can maintain pressure and therapy.

ResMed machines report "unintentional" leaks only, and throws away the data on the intentional leak. SleepyHead reports the unintentional leak data for ResMed machines.

However, you're correct that an unintentional leak rate of 10 is not more than the machine can handle.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jc1brady,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAPtherapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2015, 08:48 PM)archangle Wrote: However, you're correct that an unintentional leak rate of 10 is not more than the machine can handle.
In a simple language, meaning ....

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 465 1 hour ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 118 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 100 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.