Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 10 vs anything else for quietness?
Airsense 10 vs anything else for quietness?
I have a Remstar System One model DS560S machine I received four years ago that I'm told is now past its warranty period, enabling me to request a new machine.

I mentioned to the customer service rep for the company that furnishes equipment for my HMO that my wife has always found the existing machine noisy enough to wake her at times. The rep suggested that I request an Airsense 10, which she said is smaller and quieter.

For anyone who has experience with these machines, especially the Airsense 10, does this seem like a good way to go? Is there anything out there even quieter that I should go out of my way to see if I can obtain?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 10 vs anything else for quietness?
I have an Airsense 10. It is very quite.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would select the best machine for my health regardless of noise. It just so happens the the Air Sense 10 is the best and probably as quiet as any machine. You can always buy your wife foam ear plugs.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
my answer is that airsense 10 is the quietest and best.  

i would question the person that told you that you get a new machine after 4 yrs because of some warranty. most machines don't have a 4yr warranty and most insurance won't pay for a new machine til after 5 years and some may not replace a machine as long as it still works. call your insurance and ask them about it before agreeing to anything with the dme. you could be liable if insurance don't cover it.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
An additional option is a white noise generator.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2018, 03:50 PM)Beej Wrote: An additional option is a white noise generator.

I agree with this. I like the sound of a fan or air purifier blowing. 

I like constant hums. What I don't like is hearing my own breathing echoed by a machine. 

I have it in a bookcase headboard and simply putting a pillow against it does wonders to quiet it down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the comments, very helpful.

Regarding the warranty period, it did seem slightly unusual, but the HMO won't prescribe unless it's covered. I'll be sure to doublecheck, however.

One other question about the AirSense 10. Am I right in assuming that it's as easily usable with SleepyHead software as my existing machine? Does it also use an SD card for data transfers?
Post Reply Post Reply
An SD card is used for data transfer for sleepyhead. It seems that now sometimes no SD card Is supplied so you may need to get one any SD card from 2GB to 32gb should be fine whatever you can find the cheapest
Post Reply Post Reply
There should be no problem with the A10 regarding noise from the unit itself. It's one of the quietest around.  There would be noise through the mask if you were using a PR Dreamwear (I always seem to be beating up on that poor little mask lately, but OTOH it deserves it), so don't use a Dreamwear and you'll be fine.  Apparently, from a review of the new Resmed N30i, that one is similar.  In both cases the air passes through the silicone frame, next to your head.

You can find PDFs online of the manuals for the various CPAP machines, some of them here at AB and others on the manufacturers' sites, and each one should list the machine's SPL in the table of specs at the end.  Here's the relevant section from the Resmed A10 manual:

Quote:Sound
Pressure level measured according to ISO 80601-2-70:2015 (CPAP mode):
SlimLine: 25 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA
Standard: 25 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA
SlimLine or Standard and humidification: 27 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA
Power level measured according to ISO 80601-2-70:2015 (CPAP mode):
SlimLine: 33 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA
Standard:  33 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA
SlimLine or Standard and humidification: 35 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA
Declared dual-number noise emission values in accordance with ISO 4871:1996.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll vote as well for ResMed 10 series. I have an AirCurve 10 ASV which is extremely quiet, just like all the other 10's. Yes it's compatible with Sleepyhead as long as an SD card is installed. The SD card may or may not be included, just get any brand, go least expensive, SD card from 2GB - 32GB.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 618 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,626 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,489 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
  DOWNLOADING DATA FROM AIRSENSE 10 to AIRSENSE 11 Sleepyguy39 1 1,115 10-21-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
Question [CPAP] Airsense 10 without wireless vs Airsense 11 sleepysurgeon 12 3,409 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Horseshoez
  Wait for ResMed AirSense 11? Or buy AirSense 10 now? dk2011 25 19,748 01-24-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.