Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 10 water chamber leaks ~ again :(
Airsense 10 water chamber leaks ~ again :(
I have a ResMed Airsense 10 for Her apap machine which works just fine and I love it.  However - I have had the misfortune of having the water chamber leak water all over my nightstand absolutely ruining the finish.  This happened about 6 months ago.  The chamber that leaked came with the new machine I ordered online from one of our suppliers.

The new water chamber I ordered online to replace the defective one, worked just fine until last night when it started leaking.  Has anyone here experienced a problem with their water chamber leaking?  I use distilled water only, I do not use a dishwasher as I hand wash our dishes.  I have never immersed this water chamber.  I clean it every morning by placing a few drops of baby shampoo in it and fill it with warm water and let it set for about 30 minutes.  After sitting, I rinse it with lukewarm water and tip it upside down on a towel on my kitchen counter until it is dry - which is usually just before I go to bed.

My husband who works in a factory where they machine plastic parts has suggested that for some reason there must be a leak in the seal surrounding the water chamber.  How the possible leak developed is still a mystery to both of us.  Thank you for anyone who has time to respond.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 10 water chamber leaks ~ again :(
I had one leak after about 9 months but only slightly. I've been using the replacement for well over a year with no leaks. I would say your experience is very unusual. Whether you use distilled water or tap water should make no difference. Are you overfilling it by any chance? The full line is clearly marked so you probably are aren't but I ask just in case. Is the translucent white seal between the top an bottom in place and undamaged? Can you see any cracks? One thing you might try is to set the chamber on a towel on a surface that won't be damaged, fill the chamber to above the full mark, close it, let it set, and look for leaks. If there are none the problem is not the seal between the metal base and the plastic. (That is where mine developed the slight leak and hoe I found it.) I wish I has a better answer for you.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still using the same one that came in my machine for over a year now. I have two extras just in case. 

I don't know if I should be proud of saying this or not, but the same goes for the machine's filter.  Unsure

Maybe fill yours and then set it out and keep an eye on it for a while? If it's going to leak, I wouldn't think that it would take long to do so.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had lots of problems with them leaking after a month or 2 (although the last one has lasted a while). It is usually the seam in the bottom section plastic. When it goes you can get a fingernail in there and it will easily pry apart. I've fixed a few of them by regluing with super glue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't answer your specific question, but after my brother's water chamber leaked all over at the nursing home, I switched to putting our machines into a low tray. They are known as jewelry trays and come in a variety of materials, even wood. I would put some kind of finish on the wood tray to prevent leaking, but I no longer have to worry about leaking. You only have about 1/2 cup of water in the bin, so the low tray will handle it all.

I can't put a direct link, but the one I got for my brother at Amazon is called "Pacific Jewelry Displays Stackable Plastic Tray (White) - 1" " and is about $7.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is an issue of either poor design or planned obsolescence. The tanks consists of a metal base to transfer the heat from the main unit and a plastic chamber. The seam between the metal and plastic is sealed but over the time the process of heating and cooling causes this seam to expand and contract unevenly and over time the seal is broken, and you get a leak. It's not a question of if your tank will leak but how long before it starts. It's understandable that the base has to be metal to transfer the heat to the water but the tank could be better designed to prevent this expansion leak issue. Either the metal base could be higher (maybe the bottom half of the tank could be all metal?) or a better means (like a gasket) used to maintain the seal. However either of these would require a more expensive chamber and either raise the cost of the CPAP machine or cut into the profit of selling them. I don't see the vendor incented to provide a better and more reliable tank, since they are able to sell replacement tanks to their customers on an on-going basis.

You *may* be able to use silicon on the seam to try repair the leak. It depends on where the leak is as to whether this is a long term fix. Also you have to be careful not to apply too much as it could affect the fit of the chamber into the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven’t been using Resmed long enough to be an authority. So far though, I’ve been filling the water chamber almost to the max line every night even though I usually only take it down a little past the next line overnight. That way, the extra water left helps damp out the temperature swings, and ensures the seam is always submerged. I also don’t do use anything except water to clean it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2019, 03:11 PM)ragtopcircus Wrote: I haven’t been using Resmed long enough to be an authority. So far though, I’ve been filling the water chamber almost to the max line every night even though I usually only take it down a little past the next line overnight. That way, the extra water left helps damp out the temperature swings, and ensures the seam is always submerged. I also don’t do use anything except water to clean it.

I've had mine for two years. I first noticed dampness under the unit about two months ago. I put a plastic lid and cloth under it to see how much was leaking (and protect the wood cabinet is sits on!). The leak has gotten much worse. Now the cloth is completely saturated and I have to dump the excess out of the plastic catcher. I haven't gone the silicone route yet but will be soon. I'll post back on the success level afterwards.

I used to fill the chamber to the max line but was advised that one should rinse out the chamber daily. This meant throwing out (paid for!) distilled water before cleaning. I compromised, only fill it about half way and then give it a cleaning about every three days. Similar regimen for the hose and mask. But I get your point about having more water may reduce the joint expansion problem. Maybe a better compromise is to fill it, use it for three or four days (as long as the level is high enough), then clean and repeat. It'd still get warmer on the last day of the cycle perhaps but may buy more time before the seam leaks. Or just not be so damn cheap and be prepared to toss out distilled water more often....
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2019, 03:59 PM)graand Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 03:11 PM)ragtopcircus Wrote: I haven’t been using Resmed long enough to be an authority. So far though, I’ve been filling the water chamber almost to the max line every night even though I usually only take it down a little past the next line overnight. That way, the extra water left helps damp out the temperature swings, and ensures the seam is always submerged. I also don’t do use anything except water to clean it.

I've had mine for two years. I first noticed dampness under the unit about two months ago. I put a plastic lid and cloth under it to see how much was leaking (and protect the wood cabinet is sits on!). The leak has gotten much worse. Now the cloth is completely saturated and I have to dump the excess out of the plastic catcher. I haven't gone the silicone route yet but will be soon. I'll post back on the success level afterwards.

I used to fill the chamber to the max line but was advised that one should rinse out the chamber daily. This meant throwing out (paid for!) distilled water before cleaning. I compromised, only fill it about half way and then give it a cleaning about every three days. Similar regimen for the hose and mask. But I get your point about having more water may reduce the joint expansion problem. Maybe a better compromise is to fill it, use it for three or four days (as long as the level is high enough), then clean and repeat. It'd still get warmer on the last day of the cycle perhaps but may buy more time before the seam leaks. Or just not be so damn cheap and be prepared to toss out distilled water more often....

I initially started out using distilled water. That lasted for about a month or so. I'm now using tap water and have had no issues or problems what-so-ever. 

I empty the reservoir every morning and wipe it dry. It's then allowed to sit out for a few hours to air dry. My reservoir is about 13 months old and still doesn't leak a drop.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2019, 04:03 PM)Big Guy Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 03:59 PM)graand Wrote:

I initially started out using distilled water. That lasted for about a month or so. I'm now using tap water and have had no issues or problems what-so-ever. 

I empty the reservoir every morning and wipe it dry. It's then allowed to sit out for a few hours to air dry. My reservoir is about 13 months old and still doesn't leak a drop.

And that opens up a new (and maybe slightly related) topic, the need for distilled water. It appears the airflow humidity is purely evaporative and the amount kinda controlled by the heat of the plate. If so there's no buildup of scale or other concerns for the innards of the machine! I've contemplated just going with regular water and seeing what it does. As long as the tank is rinsed and cleaned regularly there really should be a problem. Any 'subject matter experts' out there with more real knowledge of this? If regular water is OK with regular maintenance then one can run a full reservoir every night and alleviate the issue with heat breaking the seam between the plastic and the metal!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 39 5 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 6 473 6 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 34 Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,737 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,318 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.