Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 11 Time Zone Change
RE: Airsense 11 Time Zone Change
From my understanding, the AS11 doesn't allow for time zones that are on the 1/2-hour.  Someone needs to provide the Resmed engineers with better quality drugs.

In retrospect, since Resmed's customers are the DMEs, how many of them travel where they need to change a timezone? Also, I guess that there isn't any DMEs in a half-hour time zone... Thinking-about
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2021, 05:59 PM)cathyf Wrote: Wow. A patient would never move to a different time zone and take their cpap machine with them in ResMed World. Oh-jeez 

ResMed clearly has some really brilliant engineers working for them. However it appears that the idiots are in charge!

(I suppose this level of idiocy is nothing compared to killer foam, but really...)

Too-funny Too-funny Too-funny 

Laugh-a-lot Laugh-a-lot Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
Apparently in ResMed World there are no DMEs close to the edges of time zones *cough* Chicago *cough* who might cover a geographic area that includes more than one zone.

And the obvious explanation for Apria screwing up Scott's machine is that whoever set it up was one time zone over and set it up one hour different, but the wrong direction different!

I am kind of curious because I don't know if it's been asked/answered yet -- does this mean that when the A11 phones home each day it synchronizes the clock and the clock doesn't drift? Does it mean that if you use the A11 in a place without cell service the clock drifts and there is no way to fix it?

(The term we are looking for is "facepalm with an octopus" I think.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2021, 05:59 PM)cathyf Wrote: Wow. A patient would never move to a different time zone and take their cpap machine with them in ResMed World. Oh-jeez 

ResMed clearly has some really brilliant engineers working for them. However it appears that the idiots are in charge!

(I suppose this level of idiocy is nothing compared to killer foam, but really...)

Agreed!

I'm sure there is some software reason...  For example, maybe the session files omit time zone, and therefore changing the time zone could make it appear that the session start/end times are different than they actually were.  Whatever it is, I'd call it bad design... And the "make users delete all the data before changing the time zone" is probably an afterthought to cover up that lazy/bad design.  

I would also guess Resmed's position would be "All that data is already transmitted over cellular modem and available via Airview / MyAir, so no problem deleting it."  

I hate to complain too much about Resmed though.  It could be worse.  At least they aren't so evil as to encrypt all the data on the SD card.   Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2021, 06:21 PM)cathyf Wrote: And the obvious explanation for Apria screwing up Scott's machine is that whoever set it up was one time zone over and set it up one hour different, but the wrong direction different!

I am kind of curious because I don't know if it's been asked/answered yet -- does this mean that when the A11 phones home each day it synchronizes the clock and the clock doesn't drift? Does it mean that if you use the A11 in a place without cell service the clock drifts and there is no way to fix it?

Yes...  My DME office (not Apria, but similar) is close by, but their "Main office" is two states away -- and that's where they setup and shipped the machine from.  So apparently the main office just puts their own time zone on every machine, irrespective of the ship-to address.

The AS11 clock...   It could be set from the cellular signal (i.e., sync'd with cell provider clock), or it could be synced with the server to which it is uploading the data.  Hopefully it isn't just set at the factory, and left to drift, but who knows.  Since there is no way to view or change the time in the in the AS11 menus, I have ASSUMED there must be some way to periodically sync it automatically, but maybe I'm giving the designers more credit than deserved.

I initially thought cellular signal made the most sense, but I have come to doubt that because the CPAP time (as indicated by records ingested/displayed by Oscar) is about 45s behind the "real time" -- i.e., the time on my iPhone (set from AT&T tower) and computers (set from NTP source).  My AS11 is using T-Mobile, but I wouldn't expect it to be 45s off either.   So that leads me to believe it is either set at factory and allowed to drift, or it is being set by Resmed's servers -- though it's hard to believe those servers would be 45s off.  

It's all "close enough" I guess, but it has caused me a bit of grief when trying to "sync" the CPAP data with SpO2 and movement data, when the times are all a little off.
Post Reply Post Reply
That really sucks if the clock on the A11 drifts like the A10. When I started lining up my A10 data with my Fitbit sleep stages I realized that my clock had drifted a good 45 minutes into the future over about 10 months. If you can only change time zones, and the machine doesn't keep time and doesn't know what time it is? That's going to be a major cluster long before the 5-year lifetime of the machine is up!

These jokers don't give me a lot of confidence to go to sleep with their machines *sigh*
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2021, 11:28 PM)cathyf Wrote: That really sucks if the clock on the A11 drifts like the A10. When I started lining up my A10 data with my Fitbit sleep stages I realized that my clock had drifted a good 45 minutes into the future over about 10 months. If you can only change time zones, and the machine doesn't keep time and doesn't know what time it is? That's going to be a major cluster long before the 5-year lifetime of the machine is up!

These jokers don't give me a lot of confidence to go to sleep with their machines *sigh*

Too early to tell if it’s drifting, or being periodically synced somewhere.

I only started caring about “to the second” accuracy about 10 days ago, when I started using a Wellue SpO2/movement sensor, and set up an ipcam to try and correlate apneas to body positions. Obviously I need to sync all those up pretty close (within a few seconds) to be useful. 

The camera and Wellue (via my pc) are both synced to the same NTP server, though there’s some lag on the cam due to encoding the stream.  It’s still a bit of “art” trying to align the cpap data, usually by finding significant event that shows up on both - like stopping the Cpap and getting up for a bathroom break.  The resulting gap in cpap data and the coincident movement data from the Wellue can then be used to determine the cpap offset - which I then enter into the clock drift of Oscar’s settings.

So far, the cpap data offset has been pretty consistent at about 45 seconds. But it’s only been 10 days.  I should have a better idea in a month or so whether there’s any significant drift.
Post Reply Post Reply
ScottZZZ, I'm a new board member and wanted to say thanks for posting about the time zone issue. I discovered that my AirSense 11 was also set up for ET (GMT-5), when it should have been PT (GMT-8). As a result, it would roll over any sleep past 9am into the next day and clock in an extra "Mask On/Off" usage. It took me a while to figure out what was going on b/c the MyAir app isn't detailed enough, and Oscar just became available for AirSense 11 users with the latest update.

But I followed your instructions, saved the backup of my SD card, which was erased, in order to reset the correct time zone. I also called my respiratory therapy office to explain the issue, confirm there was nothing they could do remotely (I'm 45 minutes away from them, and they require an appt to do anything), and make sure they were aligned with what I was planning (as a CYA, in case anything went wrong with the historical data, since I'm still in my first 90 days). Long story short, it all worked fine... the historical is still against the bad time zones, but it's correct, going forward.

Appreciate the insight!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2021, 06:15 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: ScottZZZ, I'm a new board member and wanted to say thanks for posting about the time zone issue.  I discovered that my AirSense 11 was also set up for ET (GMT-5), when it should have been PT (GMT-8).  As a result, it would roll over any sleep past 9am into the next day and clock in an extra "Mask On/Off" usage.  It took me a while to figure out what was going on b/c the MyAir app isn't detailed enough, and Oscar just became available for AirSense 11 users with the latest update.

But I followed your instructions, saved the backup of my SD card, which was erased, in order to reset the correct time zone.  I also called my respiratory therapy office to explain the issue, confirm there was nothing they could do remotely (I'm 45 minutes away from them, and they require an appt to do anything), and make sure they were aligned with what I was planning (as a CYA, in case anything went wrong with the historical data, since I'm still in my first 90 days).  Long story short, it all worked fine... the historical is still against the bad time zones, but it's correct, going forward.

Appreciate the insight!
Glad the time info helped you.  There is a TON of information available here, and some really knowledgeable folks ready if you have a question not already answered.  Welcome to the board!
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny I found this thread today after looking at my Oscar data and finally figured out it was an hour off. My Resmed AS 11 in the clinical menu is set to GMT +/- 0 which doesnt make sense to me. I'm in Austin, TX so I guess this should be -6? I too find it bizarre that there is no way to change this or sync it with any sort of NTP server.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 76 1,404 16 minutes ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Change Owner Name of machine eswagar 5 73 2 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Inspiration and Expiration Time MrIvanDrago 18 1,098 Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  My insp time is always longer than my exp time...is that bad? jake79 2 76 Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  myAir when sleep time is 4am to 4pm the next day iknownothing 1 83 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 12 294 04-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 163 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.