Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 11 Time Zone Change
RE: Airsense 11 Time Zone Change
When the Dr. Dolittle looks at the data, the time looks just fine. Wonder how long it'll be before this non adjustable clock data hinders someone's compliance data?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2021, 10:33 PM)thepiecesfit Wrote: Funny I found this thread today after looking at my Oscar data and finally figured out it was an hour off. My Resmed AS 11 in the clinical menu is set to GMT +/- 0  which doesnt make sense to me.  I'm in Austin, TX so I guess this should be -6? I too find it bizarre that there is no way to change this or sync it with any sort of NTP server.

Mine also showed GMT +/- 0 in the menus.  I suspect the DME set the machine up (including the time zone) via cellular, and for some reason (probably a firmware bug) the time zone setting wasn’t shown in the menus even though the machine used it.  After setting it manually via the menu, the menu now shows the zone I set.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2021, 10:42 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: Mine also showed GMT +/- 0 in the menus.  I suspect the DME set the machine up (including the time zone) via cellular, and for some reason (probably a firmware bug) the time zone setting wasn’t shown in the menus even though the machine used it.  After setting it manually via the menu, the menu now shows the zone I set.

ERROR -- I have to correct myself here regarding what the menu shows.  (I should never rely on my memory, lol.)

I just double-checked, and the menu on my AS11 still shows "GMT +/- 0", just as when it was delivered.  And clicking that to see the list of time zones, the "GMT -0" option has a checkmark beside it.

However, the data is being properly recorded, and the "CurrentSettings.json" file correctly shows {"TimeZoneOffset": "-08:00"}, consistent with my having set GMT -8.

So, either by design or by firmware bug, the MENU does not show the current TZ setting -- rather it always shows GMT +/- 0.

The only place I can find the actual time zone setting is inside the \Settings\CurrentSettings.json file on the SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2021, 02:35 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: ERROR -- I have to correct myself here regarding what the menu shows.  (I should never rely on my memory, lol.)

I just double-checked, and thhe menu on my AS11 still shows "GMT +/- 0" in the menu, just as when it was delivered.  And clicking that to see the list of time zones, the "GMT -0" option has a checkmark beside it.

However, the data is being properly recorded, and the "CurrentSettings.json" file correctly shows {"TimeZoneOffset": "-08:00"}, consistent with my having set GMT -8.

So, either by design or by firmware bug, the MENU does not show the current TZ setting -- rather it always shows GMT +/- 0.

The only place I can find the actual time zone setting is inside the \Settings\CurrentSettings.json file on the SD card.

Same for me. Inside the menu both show show GMT +/- 0. The CurrentSettings.json shows -5. I guess that makes sense now since we just had Daylight savings end 11/6. I don’t know if this is something the DME typically does but now I am an hour off. Not sure what the long term solution is. Resmed really needs to implement some kind of NTP time synchronization.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2021, 03:56 PM)thepiecesfit Wrote: Same for me. Inside the menu both show show GMT +/- 0. The CurrentSettings.json shows -5. I guess that makes sense now since we just had Daylight savings end 11/6. I don’t know if this is something the DME typically does but now I am an hour off. Not sure what the long term solution is. Resmed really needs to implement some kind of NTP time synchronization.

I think the best solution is set it to match "Standard" time in your zone, then just leave it alone.  It will be off an hour during the summer in DST locations, but that isn't a huge deal and can be accommodated in Oscar preferences (as can the few locations that are off by 30 or 45 minutes, rather than even hour increments).  Of course, people who travel a lot may have a bigger issue.

I believe the Oscar team is contemplating how to best solve the various time-zone issues, so there will probably be even better ways to handle the shift in a future version.   

If my AS11 had been 2 hours or less in error, I would have just left it alone.  But it was 3 hours off, which risked crossing Noon if I slept past 9AM -- and that "splits" a session across two days, since Noon begins a "new day".
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2021, 04:34 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: I think the best solution is set it to match "Standard" time in your zone, then just leave it alone.  It will be off an hour during the summer in DST locations, but that isn't a huge deal and can be accommodated in Oscar preferences (as can the few locations that are off by 30 or 45 minutes, rather than even hour increments).   Of course, people who travel a lot may have a bigger issue.

I believe the Oscar team is contemplating how to best solve the various time-zone issues, so there will probably be even better ways to handle the shift in a future version.   

If my AS11 had been 2 hours or less in error, I would have just left it alone.  But it was 3 hours off, which risked crossing Noon if I slept past 9AM -- and that "splits" a session across two days, since Noon begins a "new day".

This last point is something that happened to me.  Sometimes, I have difficulty getting to sleep, and on the weekend, I would sleep past 9am PT.  It shorted my current day and added time into the next day (which also creates an additional mask on/off episode b/c it thinks I'm taking a very extended break until I resume sleeping later that night).

I haven't looked at the data in a few days, but it seemed ok since I made the change to GMT-8 for my Pacific time zone.  To your first points, I hope this doesn't get buggy when DST changes again, and I do travel into new time zones, which sounds like another (related) issue.  Hopefully, Redmed can fix these issues to be more user-friendly.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the ResMed developers did the time formula correctly, then it should maintain the time like all the cellphones do. They get the time from the wireless carrier's MTSO switches which most if not all are synced to a known accurate clock source. That's why when you travel to another time zone, your cellphone time changes automatically and is accurate. This method is important because some time zones ( e.g. Arizona Mountain Standard Time) don't change when daylight saving time changes occur. 

If the AirSense 11 time is different from your cellphone, then ResMed must improve the AirSense 11 time formula.  I'm sure they didn't omit in their thinking that some people take their life saving CPAP machine with them when they go on vacation or business to another time zone and in some cases where there is no cellphone coverage (would require a manual method too). I assume too, that the AirSense 11 is checking the time it gets from the wireless carrier on a frequent basis to correct the time given any power outage impact to the AirSense 11 clock. The AirSense 11 firmware/software must all take those conditions into consideration including switching to manual capability if carrier signal is not obtainable and notifying the user when they need to set the time on the device because it has determine loss of or no signal to set the time. 

I tried calling ResMed to talk to someone in technical support who could transfer me to their developer group or convey my concern to them and I got nowhere but a referral to my supplier of the ResMed 11 device... surprise, they didn't know what to do. Maybe this Apnea Board has some means of conveying the clock/TZ concerns to ResMed for clarification and if necessary updating their firmware and any impacted software and user manual. Hopefully they can make management of the time on the device user friendly and intuitive for senior and disabled users/customers.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are not Resmed's customer., at least in their eyes. The DME is. The end user is just an annoyance that they have to put up with while they sell their product.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2021, 01:37 PM)WIN4US Wrote: If the AirSense 11 time is different from your cellphone, then ResMed must improve the AirSense 11 time formula.
I assume too, that the AirSense 11 is checking the time it gets from the wireless carrier on a frequent basis to correct the time
I tried calling ResMed to talk to someone in technical support who could transfer me to their developer group or convey my concern to them and I got nowhere

At this point, none of us know where the AS11 gets its time, or how frequently it updates (if at all).  

There is no time display in the menus to directly view the machine's current time.  Data records written to my AS11's SD card are 38 seconds behind NIST (and my iPhone) time.  That could infer the clock is 38 seconds off, though there could also be some software / buffering delay included in that. 

It may be getting time from cell tower, or it may be getting it from the MyAir server when it connects there.  There has been no discernable change in the 38 second offset over the last 60 days, so it is probably syncing somewhere periodically, as clocks in similar devices tend to drift a little when left on their own.  

I can say for sure that the AS11 (like every other PAP machine I'm familiar with) does NOT automatically track DST changes.  And with no ability to change the clock, the only way to adjust it for DST is to change the Time Zone to "one zone off" -- and that also requires deleting any stored data.  For most people, it's probably better to just leave it at "standard time" and not worry about DST.  But it could be a bigger issue for people who travel far and frequently.

As Red said above, Resmed doesn't consider us patients to be their customers.  It's primarily DMEs, and probably to a lesser extent, the sleep clinics and doctors they try to please.  So sadly, unless the time handling impacts DMEs/clinicians, Resmed really has no incentive to improve on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may be that the AS11 has its time and date set at the factory and doesn't do updates (unless perhaps there is a special tool for DMEs). We've seen one example of an AS11 whose date was off by 13 years, if I remember the date correctly. It didn't fix itself.

F&P Sleepstyle is similar in that it is impossible for a user to set the date. On my test machine, the date was off by 34 days. I've seen examples of the date being off by years. But at least you could set the time on that machine.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 1 4 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 23 1 hour ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,711 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 619 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.