Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 11 Water Chambers
RE: Airsense 11 Water Chambers
Sorry but debates will happen in forums such as this. Manufacturers like ResMed produce their products to their specific designs according to what they believe is normal and necessary. They won't likely include extreme cleaning specifications to include boiling. Yes, they had dishwasher safe tubs in the past. Do they plan for that on the 11? I don't know. But I'm certain it's not going to be boil tolerant.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2021, 11:29 AM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm kind of curious as to why you think that a water reservoir needs to be cleaned in a dishwasher? I have a 10 AutoSet, with what I believe is a standard tub.

My machine is now almost three years old, and I'm still using the tub that came with the machine. Each morning, I dump the remaining water, wipe it out with a paper towel, and allow it to air dry some. If I do find some mineral build-up, I use some white vinegar and that gets rid it quickly. 

I've never had any slime of any kind in it. Or....anything even remotely related. Just some mineral build-up from time to time as I mentioned. 

Once in a while, I'll go to the trouble of washing it completely in hot water and some Dawn dish soap. But, that's not always necessary.

This is just my take on cleaning CPAP, consult your sleep doctor:

1) Many of the dishwashing detergents are scented and I suspect there are no studies on what those scents might do to one's lungs long term. Serious rinsing is needed. I use an organic unscented detergent for my non-boilable parts.
2) Soap is good but heat is better, and soap followed by heat is best. 
3) Why not use distilled water? I do that and have zero build up. I recently bought a home water distiller due to some COVID related distilled water shortages and can make 2 gallons in 12 hours.
4) Pathogens like warm and wet. Everything needs to be totally dry every morning. With the S9 I dump the water and run it on mask test for 10 minutes which dries everything.

One can also get a Hurricane equipment dryer to dry items in the AM or after cleaning - one of the few things that will dry the tube inside. Best CPAP related purchase I have ever made!

I may be overkill on disinfection and one does have to be very careful what you use and how you use it since inhaling disinfectant fumes could be as bad or worse than the bugs you are trying to kill, but you really do not want a respiratory infection - especially these days..
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2021, 11:40 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Sorry but debates will happen in forums such as this. Manufacturers like ResMed produce their products to their specific designs according to what they believe is normal and necessary. They won't likely include extreme cleaning specifications to include boiling. Yes, they had dishwasher safe tubs in the past. Do they plan for that on the 11? I don't know. But I'm certain it's not going to be boil tolerant.

OK, how can you be "certain"? Do you know something I do not? Do you have one you have tried boiling? Has the manufacturer told you they cannot be boiled? Clearly the DW safe tubs were boiling tolerant for both the S9 and Dreamstation since I have done that, I did not have a 10 so cannot comment on that.  

Once again, I only boil them because it is convenient and effective, not because it is required or suggested and my experience with the two DW safe tubs I have tried is that they do hold up to boiling.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is getting beyond a debate. You asked for help, we provided it, and directly answered your question. Now you insist in arguing with us?

We had ZERO involvement with engineering these tubs, so again, why are you arguing with us?  We clearly have no right to suggest a product can be used beyond it's recommended spec. Nobody in their right mind would do that.  So CONTACT Resmed, who is the only people who can answer how far past spec you can safely use their equipment.

Give us a break. We're only trying to help. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Initially, I did use distilled water. I did that for several months. But, after some discussion on this forum, I was told that it wasn't necessary. 

So, tap water it was. It was a hassle to keep distilled water on hand. I've found that tap water works just as well. I don't mind using white vinegar as needed every now & then to clean away the mineral deposits.
Post Reply Post Reply
In an attempt to try and add perspective, I found the following pieces of information.  I hope they may help.

This is the Resmed H5i Disinfection guide:
https://document.resmed.com/en-us/docume...er-eng.pdf
The bottom of page 3 states, "ResMed water tubs have been tested for disinfection for 100 cycles using hot water approximately 199°F (or 93°C) for 10 minutes."

I also found this, albeit referring to the A10 water tank,
Quote:The dishwasher-safe version (ResMed Part Number 37479) is made from Polycarbonate plastic. The standard humidifier chamber (Part Number 37299) is made from Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene, which is not dishwasher-safe.

A quick search of, "Polycarbonate" turned up this little tidbit from sciencedirect.com - polycarbonate:
Quote:Its melting point is 100–110°C, glass transition temperature is nearly 150°C, the mechanical, thermal, and other processing parameters of polycarbonate will change with different molecular weight of the polymer.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2021, 11:37 AM)mrmagloo Wrote: And we answered that the unit comes from the factory with a dishwasher safe tub. Beyond that, you NEED to contact Resmed.

More specifically, it said "top shelf dishwasher safe".

That does imply  (but not state specifically) that there will not be a dishwasher specific version .

Sadly, that is not very helpful even if you are running it in the dishwasher (what about sanitize cycle - which would be more appropriate for medical use?). 

I know they do not recommend boiling (not in their interest) but that is not the same as saying it is a bad idea (assuming the parts can handle it) from a medical and biological POV.  Heat kills pathogens and more heat (up to a point) kills more pathogens. As long as you are not breaking down the plastic in a harmful fashion (physically or chemically), it can only help. The manufacturer is always going to want you to do the minimum possible since they do not want to have to deal with broken parts - so what they are saying is typical and what I would expect, as well as being minimally useful.

I will contact ResMed, what I would really like to know is exactly and specifically what plastics they are using in the water chamber. Clearly that information is not going to be available here....
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2021, 12:52 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: In an attempt to try and add perspective, I found the following pieces of information.  I hope they may help.........

I also found this, albeit referring to the A10 water tank,

Thanks, a very helpful reply! Although not Airsense 11 specific (that is probably not available yet), it still provides a lot of information as to general materials use by ResMed. That will give me some information that I can use in my query to ResMed....
Post Reply Post Reply
To the OP, I recommend you investigate using a wash that kills bacteria, viruses, and molds.  Such a product exists, and it is available for about $4 a bag at wine and beer self-brew stores.  The product is simply a dry white powder called potassium (or there's a sodium version) of meta-bisulfite.  Sodium or potassium meta-bisulfite.  Those $4 will last you about a full year because you can dissolve a heaping tsp of the product in a liter of water and get a solution that can wash your mask, your hose, and your reservoir...no boiling required.  It can be used several times, so do this over/in a bowl and then pour the solution back into the bottle/jar.  Seal well.

It is strongly oxidative, meaning it will destroy the lipid membranes of all kinds of cells.
Post Reply Post Reply
We're supposed to be cleaning our reservoirs?! I just use distilled water and then dump the container every 12 months or so and use a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 170 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,107 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 162 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 215 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,948 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,559 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 213 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.