Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP treatment for Hypopnea and Clear Airway
CPAP treatment for Hypopnea and Clear Airway
I have recently begun using software to analyze the data on my CPAP machine

CPAP: AirSense 10 C2C
Software: OSCAR, SleepHq.com
Mask: ResMed AirFit F20, full face mask

What I see is that I have almost 0 OA events but 10 to 20 Hypopnea/Clear Airway events composing my AHI.

I do not understand how CPAP can treat Hypopnea or Clear Airway, and I wonder if it can actually make those conditions worse. I often have severe afternoon/early evening sleepiness. Some of my best days recently have been when I did not use the CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP treatment for Hypopnea and Clear Airway
silvermangb

Feeling better without machine maybe because struggling with a machine NOT because a machine is not needed.

Post some of your OSCAR scans.

Your sleep study may be helpful.

Make sure your personal info is not shown.

Hypopnea - is a medical term of an airway obstruction which is not complete, there is specific percentage and length to qualify. It can cause medical issues, so not to be ignored.

Clear Airway on OSCAR is at least 10 seconds without breathing but airway open.

At the beginning of CPAP treatment CA may appear these go down with time. Pressure is set where obstructive apneas, hypopneas, RERAs and hopefully snoring is stopped and without Centrals.

If during your sleep study (polysomnography) central apneas where present therapy may be different. If study showed mostly Centrals or mixed, CPAP treat with a different machine is still recommended.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_(CSA) on site more info is given.

Central Apnea or Clear Airway Events
Clear Airway Apnea is a term used by Philips Respironics to flag an apnea event where an open airway is detected by a 1-cm pressure pulse during the apnea.
Central Apnea (CA) is a term used by Resmed to flag an apnea event where an open airway is detected by the Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT), which is a 1-cm pressure oscillation at 4-times per second.
CA Events are flagged by many CPAP and bilevel PAP machines, and are apnea events of at least 10-seconds duration and determined to be of an open airway type. A CA event is not a diagnosis of Central Sleep Apnea, particularly when events are relatively few and randomly spaced. A diagnosis of central sleep apnea should be based on the determination of respiratory flow and respiratory effort, usually chest and abdominal expansion belts, as part of a clinical sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you been using the machine, and how long have you been treating apnea with any machine?

What was your diagnosis, if any?  Did you self-titrate?

I had four and a half really great years on fixed levels of straight ol' PAP.  Then, I went for an angiogram and found myself fighting 'sleep onset central apnea' events numbering about 15 or so before I would fall asleep.  This happened the night of the day of the procedure, but it was gone after about eight days or so.  It returned when I had anesthesia during a pulmonary vein isolation with catheter ablation due to really objectionable (for me) atrial fibrillation.  Again, immediately had sleep-onset CAs, but they too have passed since.

My points are: we don't know if you have just learned of these CAs, what kind they are, how frequently they happen hour-to-hour, or if you were originally diagnosed and treated and now you have progressed?  We don't know what changes have taken place in your personal circumstances over the past six months.  We can't see your machine settings unless you register with OSCAR (see the black marquee at the top of the page) and load of a correctly configured example or two of your nightly reports and data.
Post Reply Post Reply
>>>unless you register with OSCAR

Note there is no registration with OSCAR. It is a freely available open source program which you can download and install on your own computer. OSCAR does not send any information to any remote entity. It's your data, you keep it.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 42 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 121 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 235 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.