Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense autoset vs for her
Airsense autoset vs for her
I'm sure this must already be here somewhere but I did not find it. I searched and got loads of results and read loads of threads and no detailed comparison.

I'm getting ready to replace an S9 autoset (with climateline hose)
Pressure: 12 - 18
EPR off
Ramp off
AHI ~0.5
Like the S9 but it has 25,529 hours on it.

I track all my info. I'm a gadget freak and I tend towards "lastest and greatest" things (well, I shave with a straight razor and wear an analog watch).

So it looks like an Airsense 10 AutoSet is in order but what about the "For her" model?
I understand it uses a different algorithm for AutoSet that may be more sensitive and/or track or adjust to different parameters but I haven't found details on that and how to make a decision if it would be better for me or if I would like it better. (someone posted back in 2014 that their pressure just went to max and stayed there. There was some speculation that the "For Her" model responded each breath instead of 3 breaths and it might have been that. I'm guessing it was something else but those kind of differences is what I'm looking for and their pros and cons).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense autoset vs for her
Just get the Autoset for her it runs as a standard version or the for her version for the same cost. If you find for her mode useful you have it if not useful nothing lost.

Cons if it matters, to me it doesn’t it’s white and has leaves down one side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Quick,
The Airsense 10 Autoset has 2 modes:  CPAP (fixed pressure), and Auto (variable pressure).

The Airsense 10 Autoset for Her has 3 modes:  2 are the same as the Autoset unit, plus "Autoset for Her" mode.  This mode uses a slightly less aggressive algorithm for raising pressure in response to flow limitations.  There is a wiki page that describes the algorithms:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Algorithms
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2020, 12:19 AM)becker44a Wrote: Hi Quick,
The Airsense 10 Autoset has 2 modes:  CPAP (fixed pressure), and Auto (variable pressure).

The Airsense 10 Autoset for Her has 3 modes:  2 are the same as the Autoset unit, plus "Autoset for Her" mode.  This mode uses a slightly less aggressive algorithm for raising pressure in response to flow limitations.  There is a wiki page that describes the algorithms:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Algorithms

Perfect. Thanks! That's what I was looking for. One clarification on a bullet under the AutoSet For Her if you happen to know:
Quote:Treats apneas up to 12 cm H2O and continues to respond to flow limitation and snore up to 20 cm H2O.
I set min=12, max=18 so I'm always at or above 12. What are they saying is on or not on above/below 12?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm, read it all again. Seems that mode 3 does not increase pressure above 12 in response to apneas?
That's confusing. I guess it assumes it's a central apnea if you're above 12 and no pressure increase to avoid triggering or continuing it? I take it that mode 3 is not for everyone.

My diagnosed pressure is 12.5. Would mode 2 respond to an apnea at pressures above 12? and mode 3 not?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wrote a wiki on this subject here http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Algorithms
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2020, 07:20 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I wrote a wiki on this subject here (link I'm not allowed to post)

I read that. Well, I scanned that. Ok, fine, I'm not great at math either.
I'm male. No men in the study? Is it that the flow limited breathing is most common in women and not so much in men? The moving min pressure sounded neat.

I did not see (more than likely missed it) anything about not responding to apneas with a pressure greater than 12. What is behind that? Is it that anything other than central apnea, with a pressure 12 or above, is always accompanied by other indicators?

In any event, it looks like it would be of minimal value to me.
I have my S9 set for min 12, max 18. No ramp, no EPR. I like the pressure. Have since day 1. I initially tried ramp and it felt odd. Not so much like it was hard to breath but almost. Start at 12 and it's sort of like "ahhh, that feels good". Tried EPR and did not like it at all. Exhaling against the pressure felt way better and desirable. My AHI is usually between 0.4 and 0.7. Only on rare occasion does it go over 1. So I guess I'm pressure insensitive and for me it seems the afr, if anything, might be of little benefit.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2020, 12:12 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Just get the Autoset for her it runs as a standard version or the for her version for the same cost. If you find for her mode useful you have it if not useful nothing lost.

Cons if it matters, to me it doesn’t it’s white and has leaves down one side.

I agree. It's just that I'm anticipating dealing with the medical group, insurance, and their DME on all this. Should be minimal effort getting the AutoSet but may have to be carefully structured getting the AutoSet For Her. Like exactly what wording on the prescription, talking my doc into getting it right, etc. If things don't work out at all I would be buying it out of pocket and it looks like the For Her is about $100 more.

Yes, no pink or flowers Smile. But I can't imagine the black face plate would cost all that much if it's not an option from the DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick, I think you're correct. What really works for flow limitation is pressure support, or n the case of the Autoset, EPR. If you are not currently using EPR on your S9, then the Airsense 10 Autoset (either flavor) will work similarly. All auto-adjusting CPAPs by Resmed are sensitive to flow limitation. The For Her increases pressure slower for flow limitation and decreases pressure a bt slower. Below 12-cm pressure increases in response to obstructive apnea create a higher minimum pressure for the rest of the session. If you properly optimize your machine, none of this makes any difference. We always want minimum pressure to be at an effective therapy level, and that minimally means obstructive apnea are mostly resolved. I mentioned flow limitation is treated by EPR, and if you have flow limitation in your results and are not prone to central apnea, then EPR is a great tool to resolve that. Flow limitation is a significant contributor to RERA and hypopnea, so it's worth considering.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much.

I think this is a pretty typical night for me:

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,368 Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 194 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 993 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 206 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 272 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Dreamstation II -> AirSense 11 AutoSet todivefor 10 709 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: drwoodr
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,301 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.