Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: PR Pico Nasal
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Airsense "for her" for Him?
I've got my mind made up to go with an Airsense 10 Autoset. However, even being male, wouldn't it make sense to go for the "for her" model. It records RERAs and it has that extra algorithm. What do you think? Has any guys out there used it?
07-03-2015 10:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Airsense "for her" for Him?
Sure, go ahead - it has a lot of advantages, so don't worry about the "for her" moniker.
07-03-2015 12:21 PM
TyroneShoes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
One caveat; the mask may (depending what is bundled) have XS, S, M sizes instead of the regular S, M, L. Many find that M and S are more difficult to breathe through. Talk to the DME about this; possibly they can wrangle a better fit.
07-03-2015 12:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Do masks come hard bundled with devices? I always thought you could determine your own mask, no matter what device you buy.
07-03-2015 12:47 PM
rockncountry101 Offline

Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset for Her
Mask Make & Model: PR Pico Nasal
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

The mask is separate. Everyone I talk to says go for "the her" version. Why not if it's the same price? I don't care about the pretty flower design. I don't care if it has bunny rabbits! It'll be too dark to see.
07-03-2015 01:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trailrider Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: A10 Autoset for Her
Mask Make & Model: Eson or P10
Humidifier: autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6-12 DME, 7-13 me

Other Comments: engineer. EPR at 3, unheated hose, humidity at 2. Routine hose entanglement.

Sex: Female

Go for it. The only real difference I can tell is smaller pressure jumps when it's moving upwards. As a person with smaller lungs, that means less sleep disruption.
07-03-2015 02:50 PM
Riven Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(07-03-2015 10:46 AM)rockncountry101 Wrote:  I've got my mind made up to go with an Airsense 10 Autoset. However, even being male, wouldn't it make sense to go for the "for her" model. It records RERAs and it has that extra algorithm. What do you think? Has any guys out there used it?

I would go with the for her model as well since it gives you both modes of operation. As for reporting RERAs, many of the newer unisex Autoset models for him now report those as well. My Autoset for him unit was purchased in April 2015. It reports RERAs and ResScan automatically detects it as an "AirSense 10 AutoSet with RERA".
07-03-2015 03:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(07-03-2015 10:46 AM)rockncountry101 Wrote:  I've got my mind made up to go with an Airsense 10 Autoset. However, even being male, wouldn't it make sense to go for the "for her" model. It records RERAs and it has that extra algorithm. What do you think? Has any guys out there used it?
My A10 AutoSet does not report RERAs but there are newer ones that does, been talked about here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid115528

"for Her" model have an extra mode (AutoSet for Her)
ResMed conducted a small trial in Australia and found, there is not much difference between the two results

The clinical guide say the algorithm is female specific:
Reduced pressure response to prevent arousal and does not treat apnea above 12 but respond to snoring and flow limitation up to 20
Also they say if the machine detect 2 apnea within a minute, the pressure reached will become the treatment pressure until the next session

Comment
S8 AutoSet did not treat apnea above 10 either and respond to snoring and FL up to 20
People who used S8 AutoSet, had a higher hypopnea count but when switched to S9 AutoSet, hypoponeas diminished

As for "2 apnea in a minute", make no sense to me
I don't need all of that, my minimum pressure set to my treatment pressure, this will prevent the apnea occurring in the first place

I'm not an expert but as far as I'm concerned setting the machine in a wide open settings and let the machine figure it out, is like waiting for troubles to occur
I have seen it on some occasions, when apnea is well controled, as the machine continue to respond to snoring and FL, the pressure can reach to the maximum in no time and that can cause multiple arousals plus wind and leaks

Edit: just to clarify, S8 AutoSet did not have central apnea detection as the S9 AutoSet
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2015 04:44 PM by zonk.)
07-03-2015 04:22 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(07-03-2015 04:22 PM)zonk Wrote:  Also they say if the machine detect 2 apnea within a minute, the pressure reached will become the treatment pressure until the next session

It is not uncommon for doctors to prescribe a Min Pressure setting which is too low. If the Min Pressure setting is too low it tends to allow more obstructive events to occur.

In the new For Her algorithm, if the pressure was so low that it allowed two apneas to occur within a minute, the new pressure which the machine adjusts to in response to the second apnea will be used as the Min Pressure for the rest of the session.

From setup manual (Clinical Guide):

AutoSet for Her mode is based on key aspects of ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm and delivers therapeutic responses tailored to the characteristics of female OSA patients.

The AutoSet for Her is similar to ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm with the following modifications:

 Reduced rate of pressure increments designed to help prevent arousals.

 Slower pressure decays.

 Treats apneas up to 12 cm H2O and continues to respond to flow limitation and snore up to 20 cm H2O.

 Minimum pressure (Min. Pressure) that adjusts according to the frequency of apneas:
If two apneas occur within a minute, the pressure reached in response to the second apnea will become the new minimum treatment pressure until the next treatment session.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2015 04:53 PM by vsheline.)
07-03-2015 04:44 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(07-03-2015 04:44 PM)vsheline Wrote:  
(07-03-2015 04:22 PM)zonk Wrote:  Also they say if the machine detect 2 apnea within a minute, the pressure reached will become the treatment pressure until the next session

It is not uncommon for doctors to prescribe a Min Pressure setting which is too low. If the Min Pressure setting is too low it tends to allow more obstructive events to occur.

In the new For Her algorithm, if the pressure was so low that it allowed two apneas separated by less than a minute, the new pressure which the machine adjusts to in response to the second apnea will be used as the Min Pressure for the rest of the session (night).
For the rest of the night or until you turn off the machine for a bathroom stop during the night ...
and then the same scenario keep repeating itself ... sound more like a broken record to me

Coffee
07-03-2015 04:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question ResMed AirSense 10 Badjo17 26 2,449 12-04-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: Arnie51
  [Pressure] new airsense 10 new at this abrun7 7 508 11-19-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Been about a week with the AirSense 10 for Her Beej 4 392 11-11-2016 09:30 PM
Last Post: Beej
  1st night on new Airsense 10 for her Beej 7 482 11-02-2016 06:08 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP data versus Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset data David P. 4 537 10-29-2016 08:42 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 enquiry weeble 6 481 09-29-2016 04:44 PM
Last Post: weeble
  [Equipment] Can a ResMed Airsense 10 for HER be used by a man? Snorzzz 41 3,492 09-20-2016 03:00 PM
Last Post: Snorzzz