Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense "for her" for Him?
Airsense "for her" for Him?
I've got my mind made up to go with an Airsense 10 Autoset. However, even being male, wouldn't it make sense to go for the "for her" model. It records RERAs and it has that extra algorithm. What do you think? Has any guys out there used it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense "for her" for Him?
Sure, go ahead - it has a lot of advantages, so don't worry about the "for her" moniker.
Post Reply Post Reply
One caveat; the mask may (depending what is bundled) have XS, S, M sizes instead of the regular S, M, L. Many find that M and S are more difficult to breathe through. Talk to the DME about this; possibly they can wrangle a better fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do masks come hard bundled with devices? I always thought you could determine your own mask, no matter what device you buy.
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask is separate. Everyone I talk to says go for "the her" version. Why not if it's the same price? I don't care about the pretty flower design. I don't care if it has bunny rabbits! It'll be too dark to see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go for it. The only real difference I can tell is smaller pressure jumps when it's moving upwards. As a person with smaller lungs, that means less sleep disruption.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2015, 10:46 AM)rockncountry101 Wrote: I've got my mind made up to go with an Airsense 10 Autoset. However, even being male, wouldn't it make sense to go for the "for her" model. It records RERAs and it has that extra algorithm. What do you think? Has any guys out there used it?

I would go with the for her model as well since it gives you both modes of operation. As for reporting RERAs, many of the newer unisex Autoset models for him now report those as well. My Autoset for him unit was purchased in April 2015. It reports RERAs and ResScan automatically detects it as an "AirSense 10 AutoSet with RERA".
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2015, 10:46 AM)rockncountry101 Wrote: I've got my mind made up to go with an Airsense 10 Autoset. However, even being male, wouldn't it make sense to go for the "for her" model. It records RERAs and it has that extra algorithm. What do you think? Has any guys out there used it?
My A10 AutoSet does not report RERAs but there are newer ones that does, been talked about here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid115528

"for Her" model have an extra mode (AutoSet for Her)
ResMed conducted a small trial in Australia and found, there is not much difference between the two results

The clinical guide say the algorithm is female specific:
Reduced pressure response to prevent arousal and does not treat apnea above 12 but respond to snoring and flow limitation up to 20
Also they say if the machine detect 2 apnea within a minute, the pressure reached will become the treatment pressure until the next session

Comment
S8 AutoSet did not treat apnea above 10 either and respond to snoring and FL up to 20
People who used S8 AutoSet, had a higher hypopnea count but when switched to S9 AutoSet, hypoponeas diminished

As for "2 apnea in a minute", make no sense to me
I don't need all of that, my minimum pressure set to my treatment pressure, this will prevent the apnea occurring in the first place

I'm not an expert but as far as I'm concerned setting the machine in a wide open settings and let the machine figure it out, is like waiting for troubles to occur
I have seen it on some occasions, when apnea is well controled, as the machine continue to respond to snoring and FL, the pressure can reach to the maximum in no time and that can cause multiple arousals plus wind and leaks

Edit: just to clarify, S8 AutoSet did not have central apnea detection as the S9 AutoSet

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2015, 04:22 PM)zonk Wrote: Also they say if the machine detect 2 apnea within a minute, the pressure reached will become the treatment pressure until the next session

It is not uncommon for doctors to prescribe a Min Pressure setting which is too low. If the Min Pressure setting is too low it tends to allow more obstructive events to occur.

In the new For Her algorithm, if the pressure was so low that it allowed two apneas to occur within a minute, the new pressure which the machine adjusts to in response to the second apnea will be used as the Min Pressure for the rest of the session.

From setup manual (Clinical Guide):

AutoSet for Her mode is based on key aspects of ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm and delivers therapeutic responses tailored to the characteristics of female OSA patients.

The AutoSet for Her is similar to ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm with the following modifications:

 Reduced rate of pressure increments designed to help prevent arousals.

 Slower pressure decays.

 Treats apneas up to 12 cm H2O and continues to respond to flow limitation and snore up to 20 cm H2O.

 Minimum pressure (Min. Pressure) that adjusts according to the frequency of apneas:
If two apneas occur within a minute, the pressure reached in response to the second apnea will become the new minimum treatment pressure until the next treatment session.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2015, 04:44 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(07-03-2015, 04:22 PM)zonk Wrote: Also they say if the machine detect 2 apnea within a minute, the pressure reached will become the treatment pressure until the next session

It is not uncommon for doctors to prescribe a Min Pressure setting which is too low. If the Min Pressure setting is too low it tends to allow more obstructive events to occur.

In the new For Her algorithm, if the pressure was so low that it allowed two apneas separated by less than a minute, the new pressure which the machine adjusts to in response to the second apnea will be used as the Min Pressure for the rest of the session (night).
For the rest of the night or until you turn off the machine for a bathroom stop during the night ...
and then the same scenario keep repeating itself ... sound more like a broken record to me

Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 620 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,626 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,490 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
  DOWNLOADING DATA FROM AIRSENSE 10 to AIRSENSE 11 Sleepyguy39 1 1,115 10-21-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
Question [CPAP] Airsense 10 without wireless vs Airsense 11 sleepysurgeon 12 3,410 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Horseshoez
  Wait for ResMed AirSense 11? Or buy AirSense 10 now? dk2011 25 19,749 01-24-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.