Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airtouch f20 tearing after a few days
RE: Airtouch f20 tearing after a few days
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I have same cushion and also like it very much. But every cushion, without exception, tears and, as a result, leaks after no more than ten days. My insurance pays for masks that are supposed to last 30 days and I pay a high premium for that insurance. Buying masks is not only prohibitively expensive but just downright wrong. If the mask is supposed to last 30 days it should be replaced by the supplier whether they get paid again or not. These cushions are simply not fit for the intended use. Ask the supplier to replace and ask to speak with a supervisor if necessary. I have NOT succeeded and am contemplating looking for an attorney who will be willing to bring a class action. There is no doubt in my thinking that all users are experiencing the forgoiing. It is not your imagination.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2020, 01:31 PM)ralphcohen Wrote: I have same cushion and also like it very much. But every cushion, without exception, tears and, as a result, leaks after no more than ten days. My insurance pays for masks that are supposed to last 30 days and I pay a high premium for that insurance. Buying masks is not only prohibitively expensive but just downright wrong. If the mask is supposed to last 30 days it should be replaced by the supplier whether they get paid again or not. These cushions are simply not fit for the intended use. Ask the supplier to replace and ask to speak with a supervisor if necessary. I have NOT succeeded and am contemplating looking for an attorney who will be willing to bring a class action. There is no doubt in my thinking that all users are experiencing the forgoiing. It is not your imagination.

ralphcohen wrote:

"There is no doubt in my thinking that all users are experiencing the forgoing. It is not your imagination".

I for one haven't experienced any tearing. I got 3 months out of my first one. My second one is now at 3 months with no sign of tears. The only reason I get a new cushion is the lower part of he cushion starts showing wear, and discoloration after several months but it is still usable. I wouldn't want to use any mask cushion much beyond 3 months.

Here's my current mask at more than 3 months of usage. Note: no split at nose bridge or anywhere else (see second photo)

[Image: 2NP0zhY.jpg]

No
[Image: 4vVKjTi.jpg]
N
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using this mask type for over a year - I have never had one tear in less than 30 days, and most have lasted considerably longer.  I wipe them down every day with a CPAP wipe to remove whatever oils I can, but they have stayed soft, usable and intact for an average of 45 days each.

To be clear, I replace them when leaks start becoming excessive - the masks look and feel okay for the most part, but I assume they are degrading when the leaks increase significantly and consistently.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been wearing an F20 mask with AirTouch cushions for over 6 months. I don't normally get the full 30 days use as I have to sleep on one side only because of a shoulder injury on my left side and this cushion on the sleeping side deteriorates faster. But I can live with that. However, a new problem has arisen - the under nose tear. I have not changed how I wear my mask - the position of the mask on the face and the level of toughness has not ben altered in any major way. However, tearing of the cushion at the top of the nose has occurred in 3 of the 4 last cushions I have used. This has happened in 5, 9 and 10 nights. I have no idea why this is happening now, unless the foam quality is getting worse.

This is serious for me as this is the only mask type I have tried. Discovering this mask type has been a major breakthrough for me! The others all leak, even with a chin strap or soft neck brace. And the silicone version moves up my face when I open my mouth during sleeping and ends up exposing my mouth. Which causes super leaks! So I really need a solution for this. (By the way, I am already using a Large size cushion!).
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2018, 11:55 AM)yankees123 Wrote: I started using the airtouch f20.  I like it very much and get minimal leaks.  
My problem is that two cushions tore at the exact spot at the top near the bridge.  This happened after just a few days wearing.  
Is this s problem others have had with this mask?  I don’t think I am overtighening it.  
Thanks for your input.

That would be so frustrating!  
I wasn't able to use the silicone one (leakage) and couldn't afford the cushions for the airlift. The mask interests me if problems can be overcome.

How do you clean your mask? How often do you clean it?

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I think the foam quality must be getting worse. For 6 months I had no tears but now after a few days she tears on top  .   I cant use other masks due to discomfort or leaking . Maybe we should partition Resmed to upgrade the quality
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2021, 09:53 PM)Mal777 Wrote: I think the foam quality must be getting worse. For 6 months I had no tears but now after a few days she tears on top  .   I cant use other masks due to discomfort or leaking . Maybe we should partition Resmed to upgrade the quality

I meant "petition"
Post Reply Post Reply
My AirFit F30 mask will be one yr. old on March 4th.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
After getting foam tearing with 3 of my previous 4 Airtouch cushions (averaging about 8 nights before tearing) I went back to my supplier.  They replaced the torn cushions with new ones from a different lot.  However, the first of these new masks has just torn on the 4th night of use!  I had reduced the tightness of the upper straps in an attempt to avoid putting too much pressure on the bridge of the nose area, but to no avail - this was the worst run yet.

As I have been successfully using Airtouch cushions for the previous 6 months I can only conclude something has changed.  I don't know if it is the physical structure of the newer cushions, or something to do with how I am wearing it. As only one1 forum member has reported on this thread to be having a similar deterioration of mask quality in response to my message, it would seem that this has something to do with me and not the cushions. But I have no idea of what that could be - what I am doing is pretty well unchanged from previously successful usage.

I cannot go back to the silicone cushions as this did not work for me at all - very large leaks due to (I believe) the mask slipping above my lower lip - the foam layer has given the mask a better grip.  So I am having to fall back onto a F&P Simplus mask which does seem to do the job, though is somewhat less comfortable to wear.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 611 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  AirTouch F20 mask date code? Labromaniac 4 425 02-14-2024, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 422 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 464 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 343 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.