Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Airway and diagnosis
(08-01-2015 08:55 PM)Paula McCabe Wrote:  I have to also consider the risk to my health from not having the surgery, which are mounting.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you talk about the health risks that are mounting. They may very well be related to SA and that tweaking your machine settings, better sleep hygiene, take control over your fragmented sleep, etc. could resolve or improve a lot of those issues. The best we can do is make suggestions on what you can do to improve the use of your machine to treat SA and then you have to decide what your course of action will be. Whatever you decide, I hope that it is successful.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2015 05:44 AM by me50.)
08-02-2015 05:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Paula, your BiPAP won't hurt your, and it can potentially make you feel MUCH better. The secret to solving your UARS problem is "pressure support" which your (and my) machine does very nicely. Without changing much of anything at all except the minimum pressure support, I believe you will sleep well and comfortably. Pressure support will provide an increase of pressure while you inhale to overcome your airway resistance, and when you exhale, it will relieve the pressure. It will seem very natural and comfortable assuming you do it right. It would be great if you could see the difference by using Sleepyhead data, but it's not the end of the world if you don't use that, because you should feel the difference, and that's all that matters.

08-02-2015 08:00 AM
Paula McCabe Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Phillips Respironics System One BiPAP Auto Bi-Flex
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift LT
Humidifier: Phillips Respironics System One
CPAP Pressure: Auto-unknown

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
(08-02-2015 08:00 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  Paula, your BiPAP won't hurt your, and it can potentially make you feel MUCH better. The secret to solving your UARS problem is "pressure support" which your (and my) machine does very nicely. Without changing much of anything at all except the minimum pressure support, I believe you will sleep well and comfortably. Pressure support will provide an increase of pressure while you inhale to overcome your airway resistance, and when you exhale, it will relieve the pressure. It will seem very natural and comfortable assuming you do it right. It would be great if you could see the difference by using Sleepyhead data, but it's not the end of the world if you don't use that, because you should feel the difference, and that's all that matters.

Thank you. I know I've worked with the pressure before. The doctor turned it up and I couldn't tolerate it so then he turned it back down. He is my PCP and I don't know if knows much about the machine. The techs won't change it without doctor's orders and I won't try it because I don't know what I'm doing. Is there somebody who can coach me on this, like someone at a sleep clinic, etc.?
08-02-2015 12:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Paula McCabe Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(08-02-2015 05:44 AM)me50 Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 08:55 PM)Paula McCabe Wrote:  I have to also consider the risk to my health from not having the surgery, which are mounting.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you talk about the health risks that are mounting. They may very well be related to SA and that tweaking your machine settings, better sleep hygiene, take control over your fragmented sleep, etc. could resolve or improve a lot of those issues. The best we can do is make suggestions on what you can do to improve the use of your machine to treat SA and then you have to decide what your course of action will be. Whatever you decide, I hope that it is successful.

HBP, adema, PVCs plus many symptoms.

I been messaging Sleeprider and going to try to work with him for a solution. It's too much to try to work with everyone.

Thank you, Paula
08-02-2015 01:01 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Good choice, Paula. You will get excellent coaching that way without all the noise.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
08-02-2015 02:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Paula McCabe Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(08-02-2015 02:18 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  Good choice, Paula. You will get excellent coaching that way without all the noise.

Like!

Grouphug3

Thanks everyone!
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2015 04:18 PM by Paula McCabe.)
08-02-2015 04:18 PM
storywizard Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed VPAP Adapt S9
Mask Make & Model: P10 taped to face
Humidifier: included with machine
CPAP Pressure: CPAP 11cm

Other Comments:

(08-02-2015 04:18 PM)Paula McCabe Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 02:18 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  Good choice, Paula. You will get excellent coaching that way without all the noise.

Like!

Grouphug3

Thanks everyone!

Like 2 Smile
08-02-2015 05:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

Like 3.

Like all the advice, but the reception is limited due to how confusing this all is to someone who "doesn't know what they don't know". Investing so much toward a single direction makes you pretty hesitant to shift to another. Hope you find your ability to take health choices into your own (likely very capable) hands, regardless how non-techy you may be. When the "light comes on", you'll look back in amazement.

Your best health is my earnest desire.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
08-04-2015 09:33 PM
Paula McCabe Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

Is there anyone who is good with computers who can help me with SleepyHead? I've been trying for a week to download it and read my SD card and something is wrong. At first, the problem appeared to be that my SH needed updated since it would not read any data on the SD card after July of 2014 (although I was able to read recent data with Sleepmapper but, it gives me bare bones info). Then it appeared that I since I changed my user name on my PC, I am have 2 users and maybe SH somehow was under the old user name and the update would not take place. I kept on trying and uninstalled and manually deleted files and now I am missing drivers and everything is a mess. I think I am going to have screen share and/or fix it over the phone.
08-09-2015 08:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Go to the Sleepyhead folder (probably on your C: drive) and double-click the Sleepyhead-brokenGL.exe file. Does the program start?

08-09-2015 08:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  advice for diagnosis steps to take odoyle 12 466 Yesterday 11:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Smile [CPAP] Diagnosis + prescription = Frustration... ApneaBoard + experimenting = Salvation! OldVet 8 267 11-28-2016 08:24 PM
Last Post: OldVet
Question [Diagnosis] ISO Second Diagnosis Advice headpeace 5 298 10-10-2016 03:19 PM
Last Post: headpeace
  [Diagnosis] Could Sleeping Pill During Test Cause False Apnea Diagnosis Violetskyye 20 1,025 09-23-2016 03:22 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Strange Diagnosis and shady process? Caseous 14 676 08-23-2016 02:42 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Can CPAP therapy cause Total Clear Airway Apneas TheLionSleeps 3 597 07-17-2016 08:39 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Survey on what pressure opens airway for you TheLionSleeps 22 1,125 07-08-2016 07:05 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew